Right turn on a red on a dedicated right turn lane

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
You could blow it and merge though. I do it all the time. If I stop or not just depends how much traffic there is.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Cars have a tendency to bring out the worst in people.

A fortune cookie once said.

kevinf2090

Jul 23, 2005
lol i go through this kind of turns on my commute. I never stop since it goes to a separate lane and then merge. I once saw somebody just stop completely there waiting for traffic to clear and got honked at by the people behind him/her.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
We have so many intersections like that in Georgia were people would stop so there are "Keep Moving" signs and people still stop.

We also have yield signs for most right hand turns which most people ignore. Makes taking a left turns when a car is oncoming making a right dangerous. Never understood why that was a good idea since you never know if the person is truly going to yield.

SoCalAznGuy

Banned
Mar 28, 2010
I actually knew someone who got a ticket for not stopping at a right turn like the one in the OP. This right turn has a sign that reads something like "Stop at line for turn on Red" and a stop light for the right turning lanes. This one has multiple right turning lanes though.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
lol i go through this kind of turns on my commute. I never stop since it goes to a separate lane and then merge. I once saw somebody just stop completely there waiting for traffic to clear and got honked at by the people behind him/her.

Again, you know this turn because it's on your commute, but not everyone is on a morning fucking commute douche bags.

If you blow through every one of these right turns on roads you've never been on, watch as you get splattered on one of the roads that you don't get your own lane that then merges.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Again, you know this turn because it's on your commute, but not everyone is on a morning fucking commute douche bags.

If you blow through every one of these right turns on roads you've never been on, watch as you get splattered on one of the roads that you don't get your own lane that then merges.

Hahahaha and it would be a well deserved splattering.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
umm, no, "moron". A green arrow would mean you don't have to yield to traffic coming from the other direction. why do people have such a difficult time being reasonable and figuring things out with common sense. it really is sad how dense people are
Hey moron. A green arrow means there is no traffic coming from the other way. Moron.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Might as well making fun of his slanted eyes and small penis while you're at it. What a stereo-typing douchebag.

Hardly. I see Asians drive and those in typical Toyota or Honda sedans are fine. Mitsubishi drivers, on the other hand, love cutting people off, speeding down right lanes where people often turn, and not bothering to yield to traffic. Admittedly in this case I misjudged the op's initial post and granted my personal inability to read posts, but the stereotype that Mitsubishi drivers are often clueless and try too hard to beat lights and whatever else is generally true, almost to the extent that it applies to Acura drivers.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Wow, this is like a buffet of ownage all over here. As for me, I treat the OP's street as a yield. There are some streets near me that look like it but they have signs to explicitly say "no turn on red", but if there wasn't a sign, I don't think a full stop is expected.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Unless there is a separate light for the right lane, the light applies to all lanes.

Nope, the introduction of the island creates a channelized turn lane. That in itself omits the turn lane from the jurisdiction of the intersection ahead. It in actuality creates it own intersection, which may or may not be controlled by a signal on the exiting end of the lane. Either by a yield, stop or in the presence of a dedicated exit lane, nothing at all.
The whole point of these channelized lanes is to keep traffic moving.
So go ahead and stop there even though you dont need to, and dont be surprised when people honk or rear end you.

You can still continue to disagree with me, and laws may differ where you live, but in the traffic and roadway engineering classes I have taken channelized turn lanes are not subject to the signal as you describe.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Nope, the introduction of the island creates a channelized turn lane. That in itself omits the turn lane from the jurisdiction of the intersection ahead. It in actuality creates it own intersection, which may or may not be controlled by a signal on the exiting end of the lane. Either by a yield, stop or in the presence of a dedicated exit lane, nothing at all.
The whole point of these channelized lanes is to keep traffic moving.
So go ahead and stop there even though you dont need to, and dont be surprised when people honk or rear end you.

You can still continue to disagree with me, and laws may differ where you live, but in the traffic and roadway engineering classes I have taken channelized turn lanes are not subject to the signal as you describe.

I agree, if these devices were actually known construction algorithms to all drivers.

Example, Rotaries: Almost all drivers know by now, even without signs, that you YIELD to drivers already within the rotary.

Now, if all of these right turning lanes ends up with their own lane (that eventually merges up ahead), fine - but either put enough signs to indicate this or ...

People will CORRECTLY ASSUME that you should slow down or stop in case the turn wasn't designed to proceed onto its own lane.

Now, sometimes, the lanes are very clear cut and they will see it and proceed. I know of a specific one on Route 9 here in Boston Metro area, and it is very clear that you get your own lane and do not need to stop.

Depending on the road and obstructions, this may not be readily obvious in all situations.

So if you beep or honk at someone in front of you who was actually driving with common sense and caution, you are actually being really fucking retarded for not preemptively comprehending that what YOU KNOW about this intersection is not something EVERYONE would know.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004

Stopping would be prudent if traffic was dense. Doesn't look like a lot of room to merge.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
OK, yesterday's word of the day was "moron". Today let's use "window licker".

BTW, I believe everyone (haven't read whole thread) has missed the important marking for this turn pocket.-

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
It's a turn lane that exits onto its own lane. There is no need to stop or yield, unless there is a pedestrian, as indicated by the pedestrian sign. The stop light is to the left of the exit lane and is not applicable.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
It's a turn lane that exits onto its own lane. There is no need to stop or yield, unless there is a pedestrian, as indicated by the pedestrian sign. The stop light is to the left of the exit lane and is not applicable.
This...
If the lane markings are a solid stripe. Which seems to be the case in the google map, but not in this case:

figure818.jpg

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
up here, almost always that kind of turn is a yield type if its not going into its own new lane after the turn

if it is going into its own lane, then there may not even be a yield

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Yes you have to stop. If your light is red, someone else's light is green. You must yield to them. Fucking moron.

Red means stop. Not sure why there is confusion.

You are supposed to stop before the intersection. Do you even have a driver's license? Unless there is a yield sign there, you have to stop.

Unless there is a separate light for the right lane, the light applies to all lanes.

You sir, are full of failure.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i hate when people sit at those waiting for oncoming traffic when they have a dedicated merge lane

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
It seems rather ambiguous, but the separate light on the right seems to be for the right-hand lane. I don't see a reason for having a separate light on the right if its not for the right hand lane.
I suspect it's there for increased visibility further up the road. If you take a street view look at that same intersection but along N Grand Ave going north, you can see the higher traffic signal get obliterated by the sun but the lower, larger, separate light on the right remain visible further away.

I notice there's a white traffic sign with three rows of words before that turn. I wonder if it says. . .