Right turn on a red on a dedicated right turn lane

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
There's a turn like this where I went to college that turned into its own lane that never merged. Even if there was a red light it wasn't necessary to stop or yield (except for pedestrians). It was annoying when people stopped for no reason.

To address the OP, there's no reason to stop there especially since the merge isn't immediate and that solid white line is suppose to prevent people crossing over.

Last edited:

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Of course you have to stop. If not there would be a yield sign. What would the purpose of a yield sign even be if you didn't have to stop in the first place?

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Of course you have to stop. If not there would be a yield sign. What would the purpose of a yield sign even be if you didn't have to stop in the first place?

That traffic light isn't for the right most lane assuming it's like 99% of similar intersections.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
You are supposed to stop before the intersection. Do you even have a driver's license? Unless there is a yield sign there, you have to stop.

you are wrong. check the street view he just posted. the normal lanes have the white line painted to show where to stop. you don't need to stop on the other lane. why do you think they have those special lanes anyway? why not a normal intersection if the same rules applied? the first intersection in the OP has the dedicated lane to merge onto the intersecting street. theres no question that you don't need to stop. even without a dedicated lane all you have to do is yield.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
You are supposed to stop before the intersection. Do you even have a driver's license? Unless there is a yield sign there, you have to stop.
Are you that fucking dense? Schneiderguy was kind enough to post the law straight from the horses mouth and you're still arguing? Fucking moron.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
At intersections such as the one the OP has posted and in schneiderguy's diagram, you are not required to stop at the red light. That light is to control traffic in the lane to the left of the turning lane. You MAY need to yield to any pedestrians in the crosswalk, or to any traffic entering the lane on the cross street...but if the turning lane dumps into a dedicated lane on the cross street, (which it may or may not) then, as always, simply drive with caution.

Remember, the other guy is always a fucking idiot...whether you are or not may be debatable...

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
At intersections such as the one the OP has posted and in schneiderguy's diagram, you are not required to stop at the red light. That light is to control traffic in the lane to the left of the turning lane. You MAY need to yield to any pedestrians in the crosswalk, or to any traffic entering the lane on the cross street...but if the turning lane dumps into a dedicated lane on the cross street, (which it may or may not) then, as always, simply drive with caution.

Remember, the other guy is always a fucking idiot...whether you are or not may be debatable...

This. Yield to pedestrians, and yield to oncoming traffic if you aren't dumped into a dedicated lane; no need to stop outright.

Furyline

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001
I have a turn like that near me and if the light is red I always come to a stop at the crosswalk and then make the turn if there are no pedestrians. If there was some sign about a continuous turn or a green arrow then I'd go right through, but I'll play it safe since police here just love pulling people over.

Of course I'm sure some day I'll have a cop behind me for that turn and he'll pull me over for actually stopping there. :D

SoCalAznGuy

Banned
Mar 28, 2010
You are all wrong. It is yield unless a sign says you must first stop at the line on red. We cannot say for sure that this particular turn has no sign forbidding a simple yield turn.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The diagram doesn't address the issue. Is the intersection marked with a Yield sign or other indication that a full stop is not required on red when making a right turn?

Have an intersection close to where I work just like this at Higgins and River Rd.

They put a No turn on Red sign and it has a green arrow as well as a red light camera. The camera flashes every car including stopped cars. One of my co-workers has gotten seven red light tickets in the last six months and shows he is stopped at every picture yet they send these tickets for $250 each.

This is 110% for revenue generation and should be outlawed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
figure818.jpg

Just so we are all on the same page. This diagram is wrong for the situation given in the OP. Go look at the intersection in the OP's link. The intersection in the OP has an extended merge lane on the east-west road so north bound folks turning right do not have to stop at the intersection but must yield to east bound traffic when they merge.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
figure818.jpg

Just so we are all on the same page. This diagram is wrong for the situation given in the OP. Go look at the intersection in the OP's link. The intersection in the OP has an extended merge lane on the east-west road so north bound folks turning right do not have to stop at the intersection but must yield to east bound traffic when they merge.

So even more reason to not stop for the turn at the particular intersection in the OP? The link says that the entire purpose of the right slip lane is so that no stopping is required. So would there be any possible cases of a right slip lane created that requires a motorist to stop? Enlighten me.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So even more reason to not stop for the turn at the particular intersection in the OP? The link says that the entire purpose of the right slip lane is so that no stopping is required. So would there be any possible cases of a right slip lane created that requires a motorist to stop? Enlighten me.

The intersection in the OP is not the intersection in the diagram. Mixing them up just confuses the situation. In the OP intersection a stop would only be required when necessary to comply with the obligation to yield while merging and for pedestrians.

In the diagram there is no merge lane therefore folks turning right immediately enter an active east bound traffic lane. In the case where the north bound light was red, folks turning right would always have to yield to cross traffic. Many times these right turn lanes are marked with either dedicated traffic lights, stop signs, or yield signs. In the absence of such dedicated right turn lights/signs, folks turning right would be obligated to obey the north bound traffic lights and stop on red. The intent of the separate lane is to separate and clarify traffic flow and to provide shorter runs for pedestrians, not necessarily to speed traffic up.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Do you need to stop at all at these special kinds of dedicated right turn lanes(NOT YOUR AVERAGE RIGHT TURN ONLY LANE).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...026963,-117.835576&spn=0.000506,0.000862&z=20

I could see the argument that you need to stop in case of pedestrians since there is a crosswalk. However, I have witnessed a cop drive right through quite quickly on a red. But then again, it doesn't seem like a safe assumption to assume that cops are always abiding by the law.

No, you would not need to stop there. There are relatively few intersections like that though and any normal intersection you would need to stop at. Funny thing is, there is one intersection like that near me that people stop at all the time...idiots.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
The intersection in the OP is not the intersection in the diagram. Mixing them up just confuses the situation. In the OP intersection a stop would only be required when necessary to comply with the obligation to yield while merging and for pedestrians.

In the diagram there is no merge lane therefore folks turning right immediately enter an active east bound traffic lane. In the case where the north bound light was red, folks turning right would always have to yield to cross traffic. Many times these right turn lanes are marked with either dedicated traffic lights, stop signs, or yield signs. In the absence of such dedicated right turn lights/signs, folks turning right would be obligated to obey the north bound traffic lights and stop on red. The intent of the separate lane is to separate and clarify traffic flow and to provide shorter runs for pedestrians, not necessarily to speed traffic up.

I don't see how you could go through without stopping on a red if there's no merge lane.
The caption for the diagram clearly states that no stopping is required for that situation.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't see how you could go through without stopping on a red if there's no merge lane.
The caption for the diagram clearly states that no stopping is required for that situation.
If there is a yield sign, one could proceed without stopping. In the absence of specific instruction, one would have to stop before proceeding. Also, the Federal Highway Administration sets some design standards for federally funded roads, it does not write traffic laws.

Last edited: