Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My adopted child graduated nursing school last Friday, 3.5 years. Starting at $30/hr, $35nights, $40 weekends. Pretty good for podunk SC.

Congrats...but $30/hr? Construction laborers and landscapers charge that around here. RN's start around $40-45/hr...and I'm in podunk, WA

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
She (no pics)

Screen_Shot_2021-09-08_at_6.54.26_pm_480x480.png

;)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
She's off to a great start! You have every reason to be proud of her.

Hope she's not the type who will get an abusive bf.
Yep, good young lady.

Her dad was a bit so there is a concern. He and I came to an understanding. He keeps his hands to himself and I won't have him locked up for CDV. His security clearance would be yanked and he'll be unemployed. She had no clue him hitting her was a criminal offense. It didn't happen on a regular basis but one time is too many.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yes, and besides being illegal, it's stupid idea. Containers have gained a weird fetish status with people trying to use them for all sorts of things for which they are poorly suited, this being a prime example. Ducey's containers provide cover for cross border traffic. There's a reason the actual border wall was built using bollards. The Mexicans should drag those things across the border and sell them. Governor Ducey should be held personally liable for cost of removing the containers and charged with criminal trespass for placing them.
Ducey has agreed to remove the containers.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We've jumped timelines, folks. I replaced the kitchen faucet and it works, doesn't leak, I didn't have to make a second trip to Homeowner Hell, and I'm not bleeding.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just wait... it will probably explode when you're on vacation.

Plumbing is weird like that. If something goes wrong it's always when you're not home, every single time. I can do electrical with my eyes closed but plumbing always makes me nervous lol. I especially hate leaving the house for a long period of time in general, because of the odds of a pipe breaking or something. I always turn off the water when I do have to leave for a long time but there is still a chance something goes wrong with the main line before the valve. Murphy's law.

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
after a few months of online dating being the worst shitshow it's been in a few years, wasting hundreds of dollars and lots of time and frustration - I have a number of attractive local interesting women actually matching, and also chatting and not ghosting. Have four dates lined up in the next week, one of which was last night. Four hours went by as the conversation flowed seamlessly - she is a super bright, successful person and an interesting character. It was a fantastic first date. She had this cute and pretty slightly nerdy librarian look with an absolutely perfect body. And she is in NJ not too far. Actually took me a bit longer to get to her driving than I can get to a lot of Manhattan via mass transit due to traffic. Date would have lasted longer but it was a school night, but four hours is plenty and the chemistry was established.

Good kisser too, don't usually kiss on the first date. Apparently she had a fantastic time and let me know it via text before I got home. First time I've been excited about a second date in a year. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Considering online dating is the bane of my existence, this was a big good thing that happened to me.

I think making this photo of me and my pup my first photo on the apps is helping with the matches. The dog is the bait.

PSX_20220226_135336.jpg

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
after a few months of online dating being the worst shitshow it's been in a few years, wasting hundreds of dollars and lots of time and frustration - I have a number of attractive local interesting women actually matching, and also chatting and not ghosting. Have four dates lined up in the next week, one of which was last night. Four hours went by as the conversation flowed seamlessly - she is a super bright, successful person and an interesting character. It was a fantastic first date. She had this cute and pretty slightly nerdy librarian look with an absolutely perfect body. And she is in NJ not too far. Actually took me a bit longer to get to her driving than I can get to a lot of Manhattan via mass transit due to traffic. Date would have lasted longer but it was a school night, but four hours is plenty and the chemistry was established.

Good kisser too, don't usually kiss on the first date. Apparently she had a fantastic time and let me know it via text before I got home. First time I've been excited about a second date in a year. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Considering online dating is the bane of my existence, this was a big good thing that happened to me.

I think making this photo of me and my pup my first photo on the apps is helping with the matches. The dog is the bait.

View attachment 73683
Is that a dane? 😍
(And congrats on the date!)

As for me..I am returning from my 10day vacation in Swedish Lapland. Got plenty of dope pics (see the shot of the day thread)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I caught a broken shower arm before it led to a huge mess behind the drywall.

I mean it's no new girlfriend or sudden, end of year bonus, but I'll take it. I did get an end of year bonus though, full disclosure. Ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If YOU had so much trouble finding someone decent, I better not even try!

I have sent hundreds of custom messages this year, always a quick reference to something in their profile and a joke if it fits, no copy and paste shit, and hundreds of SuperLikes on Bumble and Roses on Hinge and barely gotten crap. Probably $500 this year on the superlike/rose stuff. And I do not try to superlike the hot hot model looking women either since I know they are out of my league.

And paid for Bumble Premium too at $20 a month for half the year. So all in all a bunch of cash plus time and then the anxiety from a lot of effort to no reward. That dog pic changed the game for me though. I actually have a few options now that are appealing. Of which some will ghost. I'm still not in the top tier of guys or even close, which I am not in real life so that's fine, but finally somewhere where I've been getting enough interest to make it past all the ghosting and flakiness, which happens to both men and women.

Part of my issue is I live in Jersey and a lot of the profiles I see are in NYC, and even a lot of Manhattan women will filter me out because of zip code. But the other part of it is just it's a lot more men competing against fewer women, men are making all the moves, and a smaller pool of women is picking from a larger pool of the most attractive men.