Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Several weeks ago witnessed some guy shooting a bird right next to work. I was on my way to work and a little gray car was stopped in the street. As I passed by I heard a pop and a crow fell off a power line and started flopping around on the street. The car took off.

Over a short period of time there ended up being dead and injured birds all over the place. The injured birds just walk around dragging their wings and there's one around work missing a foot and another that drags his leg around. It was happening at strange times too. Like I would go to lunch and then on the way back there would be another dead bird in the street. I work in an industrial area so I was kind of thinking the person must be doing this on his breaks or something.

There's a cop that parks right next to my work area to do his reports and stuff so I asked him about it. He took my name and later that day after work I got a call from animal control. Apparently they went to my work and I was gone. I told the guy where I saw the birds and while I was on the phone with him he found 2. They said they could keep an eye out but unless someone catches the guy... They told me if I saw anything contact fish and wildlife. Apparently there's a huge fine for shooting migratory birds.

Today I only worked a few hours. As I was leaving I passed this little gray car that was driving all slow and the driver was looking up at the power lines. I did a uturn and came back around and he was still driving very slowly so I passed him again as I went by I saw him pull a rifle out of his back seat. went to make another uturn and he made a uturn as well. As I came up behind him he pointed the rifle at the birds on the power lines. I pulled next to him and he hid the rifle. When confronted he said " It's just a birds". I got pics of his face and his car. He tried to run but I got pics of his license plate. I filed a report with fish and wildlife. I hope it costs the guy 15,000 dollars.

You can say what you want about hating animals. I just believe unless they are being hunted for food or safety/ health reasons they should be left alone. Leaving injured animals all over the place is just bullshit.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Several weeks ago witnessed some guy shooting a bird right next to work. I was on my way to work and a little gray car was stopped in the street. As I passed by I heard a pop and a crow fell off a power line and started flopping around on the street. The car took off.

Over a short period of time there ended up being dead and injured birds all over the place. The injured birds just walk around dragging their wings and there's one around work missing a foot and another that drags his leg around. It was happening at strange times too. Like I would go to lunch and then on the way back there would be another dead bird in the street. I work in an industrial area so I was kind of thinking the person must be doing this on his breaks or something.

There's a cop that parks right next to my work area to do his reports and stuff so I asked him about it. He took my name and later that day after work I got a call from animal control. Apparently they went to my work and I was gone. I told the guy where I saw the birds and while I was on the phone with him he found 2. They said they could keep an eye out but unless someone catches the guy... They told me if I saw anything contact fish and wildlife. Apparently there's a huge fine for shooting migratory birds.

Today I only worked a few hours. As I was leaving I passed this little gray car that was driving all slow and the driver was looking up at the power lines. I did a uturn and came back around and he was still driving very slowly so I passed him again as I went by I saw him pull a rifle out of his back seat. went to make another uturn and he made a uturn as well. As I came up behind him he pointed the rifle at the birds on the power lines. I pulled next to him and he hid the rifle. When confronted he said " It's just a birds". I got pics of his face and his car. He tried to run but I got pics of his license plate. I filed a report with fish and wildlife. I hope it costs the guy 15,000 dollars.

You can say what you want about hating animals. I just believe unless they are being hunted for food or safety/ health reasons they should be left alone. Leaving injured animals all over the place is just bullshit.
Dashcam would have helped a lot.....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just got an email from my insurance company that they generated surplus revenue and I am actually going to be getting some money back! $225 if I'm reading it correctly.

Never heard of an insurance company doing that but I sure won't complain! They raised the rates last year right around the time covid hit though, so they are not exactly angels either... But this money basically makes up for the raise for the year I guess.

Reactions: lxskllr

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Just got an email from my insurance company that they generated surplus revenue and I am actually going to be getting some money back! $225 if I'm reading it correctly.

Never heard of an insurance company doing that but I sure won't complain! They raised the rates last year right around the time covid hit though, so they are not exactly angels either... But this money basically makes up for the raise for the year I guess.
Health insurance? If so, they aren't doing it out of generosity-they are doing the rebate because it was something mandated by the Obamacare reforms.

If it's car insurance and your company is Amica, that's part of their business philosophy. Lots of people love them, but the couple of times I checked them I felt they substantially overcharged in the first place. Maybe they make up for that in their rebates, maybe not, I don't want to take the risk.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Health insurance? If so, they aren't doing it out of generosity-they are doing the rebate because it was something mandated by the Obamacare reforms.

If it's car insurance and your company is Amica, that's part of their business philosophy. Lots of people love them, but the couple of times I checked them I felt they substantially overcharged in the first place. Maybe they make up for that in their rebates, maybe not, I don't want to take the risk.

Obamacare reforms is unlikely...he's a canuck.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Car/house insurance. Don't need health insurance here, thankfully.

I'm part of a group plan with my company, so I guess they treat it kind of like a co-op, I did not realize that as it's the first time it happens.

My bank does the same too but they are a co-op so every year I get a few hundred bucks back which is nice.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I had a fairly large tree fall in my backyard from the last big windstorm. I got a quote from an arborist to have it removed, and they wanted $600 for the job.

So, I bought a chainsaw and did the job myself! :)

1636060641054.png

Chainsaws are awesome! Every home owner should get one of these! First World Problem: Solved!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I had a fairly large tree fall in my backyard from the last big windstorm. I got a quote from an arborist to have it removed, and they wanted $600 for the job.

View attachment 52359

Chainsaws are awesome! Every home owner should get one of these! First World Problem: Solved!

I have a little Dewalt 20v chainsaw. Mostly for cutting driftwood logs on the beach...but I've used it for a bunch of other things.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i got my winter tire set, submitted my rebate claim, and submitted an RMA request on my 2TB SSD.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

View attachment 52359

Bought a Ryobi 18v a few years ago myself (already invested in all the Ryobi stuff so it made sense) and it's been great. Maybe not as powerful as gas but there is something great about being able to charge it with solar and it's also very lightweight compare to a gas one. Especially now that I own 40 acres it will get lot of use. I'll probably want to invest in a more powerful one though and ideally a bigger bar.

I ended up removing a fairly large tree with it too, though I did leave part of it to an arborist as there was a few cuts that were more sketchy and the trunk was a bit more than what I wanted to put the saw through. And it was hot AF and I had just given up. Made a vlog/time lapse video here.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I learned how to activate image resizing on an iPhone. WTH is wrong with Apple that they made this very basic feature secret squirrel stuff?

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Some noob UPS driver left my package at a neighbor's house yesterday. Today the neighbor brought it over to me. :relieved: Crisis averted.

Tracking said "delivered" so I knew it had to be somewhere nearby. I was waiting a day to see what developed before taking any action.