Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
The waiter we had at lunch today got inside my mind. He's awesome. He remembered every freaking detail of what we like and how we like it at Pappadeaux's restaurant. We weren't even seated yet when he already had our drinking coming and the appetizer in the system. I didn't have to order my drinks as he remembered what they were and when I wanted them. This guy isn't our regular server as we frequent on Saturdays and have a different server. On Fridays he covers the booths and just gets it right every damn time.

Winston, my hat is off to you, sir!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's amazing how some people have crazy good memory. I can't even remember a phone number to save my life, I have to get people to repeat if they say it too fast since I have to write it down.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
It's amazing how some people have crazy good memory. I can't even remember a phone number to save my life, I have to get people to repeat if they say it too fast since I have to write it down.

You're not alone. I am horrible at that and names as well. Best way I have found is to associate it with a graphic. Like StalactiTe Is T for hanging down and StalagMite M is pointing up. I think I've always been dyslexic I still get non fiction, fiction confused. it's backwards damnit.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I put Xubuntu on my boss' computer awhile ago. It was relatively smooth, but he's a pita, and absolutely helpless. Well, he refuses to use a mail client like a normal human, so he gets his mail through a browser. I started out with firefox, but when he needed to attach a file from a network share, there was no way to access it from the dialog. I fucked with it awhile, and didn't really find a solution, but found that chromium *did* gives links to the server. I installed that, and aside from bitching that the computer isn't *exactly* like WinXP every other day or so, everything was wonderful; Until a few days ago... No more dialog for the server shares...

I fucked with it again, but was having trouble organizing a useful search string to get good results, and me poking around on my own wasn't fruitful. LIGHTBULB! How about a symlink? So easy... I made a directory in /home with links to all the server shares, and he can access it with the browser dialog. All is wonderful in gooberland again :^)

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I put Xubuntu on my boss' computer awhile ago. It was relatively smooth, but he's a pita, and absolutely helpless. Well, he refuses to use a mail client like a normal human, so he gets his mail through a browser. I started out with firefox, but when he needed to attach a file from a network share, there was no way to access it from the dialog. I fucked with it awhile, and didn't really find a solution, but found that chromium *did* gives links to the server. I installed that, and aside from bitching that the computer isn't *exactly* like WinXP every other day or so, everything was wonderful; Until a few days ago... No more dialog for the server shares...

I fucked with it again, but was having trouble organizing a useful search string to get good results, and me poking around on my own wasn't fruitful. LIGHTBULB! How about a symlink? So easy... I made a directory in /home with links to all the server shares, and he can access it with the browser dialog. All is wonderful in gooberland again :^)

I don't know anyone who uses a mail client anymore.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017

I don't know anyone who doesn't.

To keep in order with the topic of the thread, I managed to upgrade the last part (~12 000 commits) of a kernel for an Android device without any refusals.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I scored a victory over my annoying neighbor.

My neighbor behind me started playing drums outside at 9pm. Seriously this dude is banging away for the last couple of nights. I went into what is my backyard jungle and to the edge of his yard to where they have a pool house. I couldn't see him but he was right on the other side of the pool house. I tried to ask him to stop but he either ignored me or had headphones on. So I called the police and I hated doing that but "get off my lawn" is my motto now. While I'm standing in my jungle I see two flashlight s coming down my driveway and its the police laughing about this guy banging away. They acknowledge the problem and promise to deal with it and tell me to call if it starts again. I'll have to admit I stayed out for what seemed like forever and finally heard the police come into the backyard and tell this person he's annoying the whole neighborhood and that he had to stop.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I scored a victory over my annoying neighbor.

My neighbor behind me started playing drums outside at 9pm. Seriously this dude is banging away for the last couple of nights. I went into what is my backyard jungle and to the edge of his yard to where they have a pool house. I couldn't see him but he was right on the other side of the pool house. I tried to ask him to stop but he either ignored me or had headphones on. So I called the police and I hated doing that but "get off my lawn" is my motto now. While I'm standing in my jungle I see two flashlight s coming down my driveway and its the police laughing about this guy banging away. They acknowledge the problem and promise to deal with it and tell me to call if it starts again. I'll have to admit I stayed out for what seemed like forever and finally heard the police come into the backyard and tell this person he's annoying the whole neighborhood and that he had to stop.

Playing drums outside
Endless barking dogs
Working on your car & revving the engine all night

Why are people so clueless. This is why I don't want neighbors. I want a little farm, or at least a couple acres, so I don't have to deal with noise issues or crazy neighbors. Had enough of those throughout the various apartments I've lived in over the years. Sorry you had to get the police involved, but sometimes that's the only way :p

Reactions: devBunny

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
My vaping gear is not leaking.(nautilus 2 tank). damn thing has a mind of its own.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It's Friday. Looking forward to sleeping in Sunday. New Game of Thrones Sunday. And I think I'm taking this coming Tuesday off. I have 8 hours of PTO that I need to use this summer and have an appointment on Tuesday that I'll need to leave work for a couple of hours total anyway. So I'll just take it off and be lazy after my errands (delicious).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I still use Thunderbird with IMAP. Though it's crossed my mind to switch to using a web client. Have not really gotten around to looking at the various solutions. I host my own email through my web server but the main server and spam processing happens locally, basically I use fetchmail to bring the mail locally. Works nicely. Really need to update that setup though, it's running on a Fedora Core 9 box. Funny thing is that near 10 year old system is more powerful than our new computers at work. I really need to migrate all that stuff to a VM and newer OS one day but it just works, and it's local so security is less of a concern. I think if I moved that server to my bathroom I would qualify to run against Trump for 2020. Just need to give Russia access to it. :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As for a win, I'm switching to night shifts, so it means I'm sorta off today. Sitting back neffing and drinking coffee. Got 6 12h night shifts coming starting tonight. I actually generally like night shifts and having that many in a row will make for a good pay cheque. I mean, comes up to the same at the end of the month, but still nice to see a bigger amount show up. :p In reality it's actually bad though because it means I pay more taxes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Finally got a 10TB hard drive and moved all the junk off my NAS.

Will not be getting another NAS. I think I'll just use my backup computer for the same function.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Dropping ATT for my business phones and going with intermedia (costco). The initial reason for having ATT was to be in the phone book and guaranteed service even if the power is out. 12 years later, the former isn't necessary and the latter will just have to be if there's an outage. Saving $230/month.

The city told the offices on my street that we now had to roll out the carts on trash day or pay more. They eventually want to go to the auto clamp trucks anyway. All 7 of us said no thanks. I told the lady that I'd put the 1 bag, every 2 weeks, in my truck and toss it in the roll out cart at my house. The cart that they already empty. Saving $17/mo.

Booyah $3K in found $$ per year.:D

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
New personal best in deadlift, repaving the driveway was a breeze and is done, got a new lawnmower for half the price and my wife is coming home this evening.

Good day. :)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
New personal best in deadlift, repaving the driveway was a breeze and is done, got a new lawnmower for half the price and my wife is coming home this evening.

Good day. :)
So you've got to take down the stripper pole. How is that a good day?
:)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Dropping ATT for my business phones and going with intermedia (costco). The initial reason for having ATT was to be in the phone book and guaranteed service even if the power is out. 12 years later, the former isn't necessary and the latter will just have to be if there's an outage. Saving $230/month.

The city told the offices on my street that we now had to roll out the carts on trash day or pay more. They eventually want to go to the auto clamp trucks anyway. All 7 of us said no thanks. I told the lady that I'd put the 1 bag, every 2 weeks, in my truck and toss it in the roll out cart at my house. The cart that they already empty. Saving $17/mo.

Booyah $3K in found $$ per year.:D
Our neighborhood has private trash/recycling collection. Some of my neighbors pair up on the trash bins. We should probably join that gang.