Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I love my job and my new computer is actually working now that I've gotten a new motherboard.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Full belly, and very likely got this useless twat of an 'enterprise support' technician in hot water with his boss for his endless delays/non-helpfulness in troubleshooting a SAN/virtualization problem.

Remind me why in the world we have enterprise support contracts again?

What? You mean corporate consolidating multiple apps DBs onto a single SQL server cluster run by a contractor. Then having all off your admin rights removed and now every time you need to do something that used to take 5 minutes. You have to log a job through a help desk then wait for the contractor to do it for you. Doesn't make your life easier? ;)

Today I sold a fury X card for 250 bucks which I thought was reasonable.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I got two points on the android lollipop version of flappy bird(without cheating) \o/ That beats my previous score of 0 by a good bit. It's insanely hard. If they chilled out on the movement, it would have been a fun game. I guess my practice with flappy bird paid off :^P

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
This made my day - saw what I would assume was a Middle Eastern immigrant shopping at Sam's Club. Dude was standing in the middle of the store panning his phone around & Facetiming his family. My guess is that he had never been to an American big-box store before...he was freaking out, his family on the phone was freaking out, it was great :D They couldn't believe how big the store was & how much stuff was there...he was pointing to everything & just losing his mind lol. The last time I saw that kind of excitement in a person was when you see kids who just got told they were going to Disney World or children opening an awesome present on Christmas Day. The dude was seriously like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Made me feel very grateful to live in America & have access to not only food but bulk food stores, with no limitations on buying whatever you want. It immediately made me think of that story about the time that Boris Yeltsin stopped at an American supermarket:
He told his fellow Russians in his entourage that if their people, who often must wait in line for most goods, saw the conditions of U.S. supermarkets, “there would be a revolution.”

yeltsin-19890916_hc-03-22.jpg

Really interesting tidbit on that story, btw:

http://blog.chron.com/thetexican/2014/04/when-boris-yeltsin-went-grocery-shopping-in-clear-lake/

Shoppers and employees stopped him to shake his hand and say hello. In 1989, not everyone was carrying a phone and camera in their pocket so Yeltsin “selfies” weren’t a thing yet.

Yeltsin asked customers about what they were buying and how much it cost, later asking the store manager if one needed a special education to manage a store. In the Chronicle photos, you can see him marveling at the produce section, the fresh fish market, and the checkout counter. He looked especially excited about frozen pudding pops.

“Even the Politburo doesn’t have this choice. Not even Mr. Gorbachev,” he said.

The fact that stores like these were on nearly every street corner in America amazed him. They even offered free cheese samples. According to Asin, Yeltsin didn’t leave empty-handed, as he was given a small bag of goodies to enjoy on his trip.

About a year after the Russian leader left office, a Yeltsin biographer later wrote that on the plane ride to Yeltsin’s next destination, Miami, he was despondent. He couldn’t stop thinking about the plentiful food at the grocery store and what his countrymen had to subsist on in Russia.

In Yeltsin’s own autobiography, he wrote about the experience at Randall’s, which shattered his view of communism, according to pundits. Two years later, he left the Communist Party and began making reforms to turn the economic tide in Russia. You can blame those frozen Jell-O Pudding pops.

“When I saw those shelves crammed with hundreds, thousands of cans, cartons and goods of every possible sort, for the first time I felt quite frankly sick with despair for the Soviet people,” Yeltsin wrote. “That such a potentially super-rich country as ours has been brought to a state of such poverty! It is terrible to think of it.”

TL;DR: Today's mood is:
4xlfOMO.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well...I woke up this morning...at my age, any morning you wake up without a tag on your toe is a good morning...

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Nice morning. Bowled 183, 200, 195 and won all the pots. $40 bucks. Little things count. :)
Wonderful news! That's another $40 for the MBF, the Moderators Benevolent Fund!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Despite not leaving my property all day, I had fun, even without surreptitiously pleasuring myself*. The Eagles won, and since I had the DVR set to record because I thought I'd be out, I could start watching the game when I wanted to, accomplish a multitude of domestic chores when I wanted to, and still fast forward through all the commercials.

Even finding out just above that Boomer woke up this morning -- What? Again? -- didn't ruin my mood. :p

*Yet.

Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Battery died in the truck Saturday week. Battery died in the wife's car Friday, leaving me at the gas station. Yesterday, broke some POS plastic coupling on the radiator hose getting the battery out. Autozone had to order the hose and all because they don't sell just the coupling and it wasn't in the store. $205 for the battery and hose.

Oh, the good thing? I'm going to make the kid go get the hose today and stand in the rain while he tries to put it on. He's out of school because of the hurricane and I'm at work.:D

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Battery died in the truck Saturday week. Battery died in the wife's car Friday, leaving me at the gas station. Yesterday, broke some POS plastic coupling on the radiator hose getting the battery out. Autozone had to order the hose and all because they don't sell just the coupling and it wasn't in the store. $205 for the battery and hose.

Woooooooow what are the chances of that even happening? Two batteries in the same week??

I had something like that happen a couple years ago...got a flat on my car, switched to my wife's car, got a flat on her car like a day later, and of course it was a Honda Fit, so it was a funky-sized little tire that wasn't super standard for availability locally. Amazing how quickly & easily your entire transportation system can go down :D

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Woooooooow what are the chances of that even happening? Two batteries in the same week??

I had something like that happen a couple years ago...got a flat on my car, switched to my wife's car, got a flat on her car like a day later, and of course it was a Honda Fit, so it was a funky-sized little tire that wasn't super standard for availability locally. Amazing how quickly & easily your entire transportation system can go down :D
The last time they both went out (1/2014 ?) within a couple of weeks of each other. I can't believe the engineers have battery life down to that close of a time frame.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The last time they both went out (1/2014 ?) within a couple of weeks of each other. I can't believe the engineers have battery life down to that close of a time frame.
They probably have a pod of calcium carbonate inside with a time release shell. They set it to dissolve and neutralize the acid when they want to sell you a new battery :^P

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been doing work outside and running low on sunscreen. Didn't figure I'd be able to find any in stores at this time of year but found some SPF60 at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's surprisingly hot out for this time of year.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Bought some knock-off Ding Dongs (Mrs. Freshley's) from a vending machine. Had no expectations.

They turned out to be awesome & tasted way better than regular Ding Dongs. Sugar FTW!

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004

That happened to me a couple months ago as well. I stopped driving around in the Porsche or the GTR. Once I tried to start them, I found that the batteries in both had permanently died. Now I try to drive them once every couple of months.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I got to try currywurst tonight! I've been wanting to try it for years now. I was gonna take my mother out to eat, and wanted to go to a Greek diner I've never been to, but they close at 3pm on Sunday(!!). She suggested a German place kinda far from home, so I said sure...I got a liter of some kind of doppelbock, and the currywurst. Delicious! Icing on the cake was we were served by Saul Goodman wearing lederhosen. Looked like him anyway, and had a similar personality :^D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I got to try currywurst tonight! I've been wanting to try it for years now. I was gonna take my mother out to eat, and wanted to go to a Greek diner I've never been to, but they close at 3pm on Sunday(!!). She suggested a German place kinda far from home, so I said sure...I got a liter of some kind of doppelbock, and the currywurst. Delicious! Icing on the cake was we were served by Saul Goodman wearing lederhosen. Looked like him anyway, and had a similar personality :^D

Google image'd currywurst, that looks dang good!

lol @ Saul

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got another neilsen package today with another dollar inside. That's three I've gotten so far. This is my dream job. I always wanted to stay home, and have money sent to me for doing nothing, and it's finally happening \o/

$3 is a modest start, but it has virtually unlimited potential. I'm feeling good about my new career.

Reactions: Sonikku

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Was supposed to work Saturday. Got an email early that morning saying not to come in due to some bs.

Came in this morning, manager said to put 8 hours of OT on my time sheet and claim lost time due to other party's screw ups.

Fine by me.