Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Mixed bag today, but predominately good. I opened a new case of MREs, and the heaters so far work much better than the last case. Lunch today was beef taco. Problem? I got a pack of peanut butter, strawberry jam, and two tortillas. I can either have beef tacos, or pbj tortillas. A pack of crackers would have been nice. I ended up going for the pbj tortillas, and just eating the beef mix with some hot sauce. Pretty good decision. Lunch was good.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Got an advanced warranty replacement for free from Verizon for my S7e with a pink line on the display.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got a text message on my ghetto phone(which I'm using as my home connection now) that they increased the monthly high speed allotment to 3gb, and since I'm *so awesome, they're giving me an additional gb(recurring?), for 4gb total.

*Apparently being awesome is defined as making three consecutive payments :^D

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always find it amusing when I am considered a super valued customer, or awesome, or any other such term, simply for making my payments. It's like "wow, is that not the norm?". I had to take a shark loan at Citi when I first bought my house, like 27% interest or something crazy like that. I paid it down on time and I kept getting phone calls from them to see if I needed any money because I was a valued customer. Thanks, but no thanks. :D I had taken that loan as I had maxed out all my credit with renovations and other stuff before I moved in and went over budget. That's back when we still had a work bonus and stocks, so I knew that money was coming. We don't get any of that anymore. Well we do get stocks but you can only take them out every 2 years.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is sort of a FWP but with a twist. So we've been short staffed for about a year now because someone quit and the hiring process is SLOW. So finally they had the interviews this month, but at the same time there was a job opening in another department, and the candidate for this job ended up being given the position that just opened up in the other dept. We always get the shaft with stuff like that and this is a prime example. Now the hiring process needs to restart so it will probably be another year before we get someone.

The WIN, or silver lining though is that this summer there will be tons of OT to do. Summer tends to have OT anyway because of all the vacations but being short staffed is going to add to that.

So far every year that I've worked here we end up being short staff in summer though, there's always something that seems to happen. I worked 4 weeks in a row with like maybe 3 days off once. That brought in some crazy cash. Some pay cheques were like 3 grand. (of course it was more like 7 grand before all the deductions like taxes but I don't even look at that number :p)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I always find it amusing when I am considered a super valued customer, or awesome, or any other such term, simply for making my payments. It's like "wow, is that not the norm?". I had to take a shark loan at Citi when I first bought my house, like 27% interest or something crazy like that. I paid it down on time and I kept getting phone calls from them to see if I needed any money because I was a valued customer. Thanks, but no thanks. :D I had taken that loan as I had maxed out all my credit with renovations and other stuff before I moved in and went over budget. That's back when we still had a work bonus and stocks, so I knew that money was coming. We don't get any of that anymore. Well we do get stocks but you can only take them out every 2 years.
27% Damn, you are a valued customer. Ask boomerang what I wanted to charge him when he came by last week.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My fucking Red Wings are in beautiful shape but the god damn laces were looking like Perknose after a weekend in Vegas.
Went over to the official fucking Red Wings store and discovered I get free shoe laces for life.

Went home happy.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Looked up my drugs, BP and cholesterol, on goodrx.com. Been using walmart. $70 for 90 days of the cholesterol and $12 for the BP. Kroger had the cholesterol for $18 for 90 days and the BP was $9 but the price match with Publix gave me the BP for free. I like free unless it's the clap.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Looked up my drugs, BP and cholesterol, on goodrx.com. Been using walmart. $70 for 90 days of the cholesterol and $12 for the BP. Kroger had the cholesterol for $18 for 90 days and the BP was $9 but the price match with Publix gave me the BP for free. I like free unless it's the clap.
That's a hell of a difference. I wonder why walmart's so high? Are you lucky enough to live in the wrong zipcode too? My walmart's expensive cause I live in a good part of town. I can get groceries cheaper at regular stores, and it's about even money with 'premium' grocers.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
That's a hell of a difference. I wonder why walmart's so high? Are you lucky enough to live in the wrong zipcode too? My walmart's expensive cause I live in a good part of town. I can get groceries cheaper at regular stores, and it's about even money with 'premium' grocers.
Don't think so. The 2 zips in my area give the same $$. Also getting another med, $170 at korger with no coupon. $98 with and $68 at walmart with.

Asked my DR about it last week and he said something about who is screwing who.

Cat update?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cat update?
Took a nap earlier today, and when I woke up, some of the food was gone. Could have been blue jays, but it's a fair amount missing. I assume it was Fat Head.

Saw a hummingbird briefly today, and that got my ass in gear setting up the feeder. I've been meaning to since the azaleas bloomed(that's about when the hummers arrive), but kept forgetting, and/or just didn't feel like fooling with it. It's setup now, but haven't seen any feeding yet.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Ha, saw a bird last week. Filled the 2 feeders and nada but mold after a week. Took the 1 down, filled with vinegar, scrubbed the best I could with a tooth brush...still not clean enough. Anyway, saw another this AM at the neighbors. Re filled the 1 feeder but nothing so far. We did replant the bed today, the one that the bees/butterflies/birds seem to be attracted to. I'm pretty hopeful.

Our azaleas bloomed in Feb and the frost killed just about everything else mid March. I imagine the guys at the Masters weren't happy since that's a nice draw.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I usually only get 2-3 birds. Probably the same ones, or at least the same family every year. About 20 years ago I went to a guy I work with's house, and his sister lived behind him. She had a few feeders up, and it was like an airport back there. I bet there was a couple dozen hummers flying around. Pretty cool.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
3 birds last year. 1 was definitely the young. I have access to a 3rd feeder that I will put across the yard if I see a lot going on. Hopefully...

2nd thing, important, the wife said we couldn't get plants that were something, something coated to prevent bugs because it killed the bees. Might need to make a H&G post.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
2nd thing, important, the wife said we couldn't get plants that were something, something coated to prevent bugs because it killed the bees. Might need to make a H&G post.
I'd look into native plants, and see if any of those suit you. They'll probably do well since they belong there, and are unlikely to cause harm.

I practice laissez faire gardening. I see what pops up, and it stays if I like it :^D I have some kind of bush/tree thing out back I left cause I liked the shape. It's starting to bloom now, and will smell great in full bloom. I have no idea what it is, but I like it. Cherries are popular too. I leave most of them. I'd be happy to be cloaked in green. I'm slowly turning my lot into a (somewhat)managed forest. Still trying to figure out how to eliminate the grass. Overhead power lines are a pita, and make tree planting tricky.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The plants are planted. We have had a couple of last years re start. Surprising since I tilled the bed.

And persimmons aren't in the mix.:) My memory of them as a kid weren't good at all.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
And persimmons aren't in the mix.:) My memory of them as a kid weren't good at all.
Funny you mentioned that. I planted a shit ton of persimmon seeds, and I think /one/ of them may have sprouted. It's that, or some other random thing a bird dropped in my pot. Persimmon has to be ripe before you eat it. After the first frost is best. They get squishy, and a little ugly, but taste great. If you eat them too soon, they have an astringent quality like the inner shell of a walnut. They're virtually inedible before they're ready. Some fruit is just subpar when under ripe. Persimmon is bad. You should try them when they're really ready.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Funny you mentioned that. I planted a shit ton of persimmon seeds, and I think /one/ of them may have sprouted. It's that, or some other random thing a bird dropped in my pot. Persimmon has to be ripe before you eat it. After the first frost is best. They get squishy, and a little ugly, but taste great. If you eat them too soon, they have an astringent quality like the inner shell of a walnut. They're virtually inedible before they're ready. Some fruit is just subpar when under ripe. Persimmon is bad. You should try them when they're really ready.
1 plant. Take that as a hint. :)

Kroger says no and I should stay with the bananas.

That.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We run three feeders. Most years we get get anna's, costa's, broad-billed, rufous, black chinned, and a lucfier every few years. Magnificents are in the mountains near us but they don't come to our feeders. We also get orioles, Gila woodpeckers, and lesser long nosed bats at the feeders. The bats will drain the feeders overnight.

We had a hummer nest in the carport for a couple years. I think we have a nest in one of the oak trees but I haven't been able to find it yet.

hummer_2006_07_22.jpg