Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
On the flip side, it does drive me more than a little nuts when people complain about laptop prices. "There isn't anything new for under $199?" Are you kidding me? A full, working laptop for two hundred bucks, and you're complaining? And of course, then they complain about how slow it is. I remember when all laptops were like $1,500! Prices today are bananas. You can buy an Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 & an Atom X5 for $120 these days:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-Processor-BOXSTK1AW32SC/dp/B01AZC4NHS

It ain't fast, but hey, it's a full computer for beans...
I agree. The amount of computing power you get for not much money is amazing. My ghetto phone I bought as a fill in til I received my good phone is one of my favorite recent purchases. It's no Samsung. Screen's low res, camera kind of sucks, only 1gb of ram, but it does everything it says it does, and it was only $40. I wouldn't be too upset using it as my daily driver.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I got my car back from the shop and it only cost like $100 for the repairs! (broken sud, rethreading other studs and nuts etc)

You might want to look at a different gfx program. Gimp is great, but it's like sitting in a jet cockpit, and trying to figure out how to start the engine; so you can go to the grocery store :^D Pinta might be a better choice, or even libreoffice draw.

Yeah I don't think the user even needs a graphic program I just put it in there so he has it in case he needs one. For most things the built in tool in the file manager is probably good enough, like for cropping and stuff.

But realized he may need to install Simply Accounting so I may end up having to go back to Windows. He said he'd let me know. Win7 refuses to work properly on that machine for some reason so I might have to put 10. The whole point of this was to get rid of 10 lol. Had I known I would have just left it alone.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Try Wine first if he requires that program. A virtual machine is also an option that might make sense for security/stability.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
It's really hot and humid and unpleasant today. I can turn on my AC and go to the fridge for a cold beverage. Let's see 'em do that in Burkina Faso.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My kid is a 1%er at 16 years old.:) County character award. Kids 1st through 12th grade, recommended by the teachers. 240 kids, 24K kids in the county schools. Thank God he takes after his Mom.

Reactions: lxskllr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I caught some crud. I went to a doctor and got an Rx for antibiotics. I went to the drug store and picked up the drugs and they are working their magic. It don't get any more first world than that.

Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I met a real live AT member yesterday. Kind of ruined the whole "you guys aren't real" thing. And his wife didn't have pointy elbows.

Reactions: r4sh1d

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dinner turned out good tonight. I made a vegetable curry with a canned sauce. I added some ghost pepper sauce, but it got away from me, and I thought I might have put too much in, but it turned out perfect. Only regret is I wish I bought some naan to go with it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Using my prepaid phone as a net connection, and ran my debian updates. I used up all my high speed data last week, but I was getting ~600kbs on my updates. Not sure what's going on with that, but I'll take it.
Found out what happened. They apparently raised my data allotment to 3gb from 2gb. Not sure how I feel about that. Getting an extra gb for the same money is great, but I'm a little disappointed magic isn't involved. I was kind of hoping I slipped through the cracks somehow, and after not using data for a week or two, I somehow magically got more high speed data. Yea, I know, it makes zero sense, but since I don't thoroughly understand cellular networks, that left some room for magic :^/

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dinner turned out good tonight. I made a vegetable curry with a canned sauce. I added some ghost pepper sauce, but it got away from me, and I thought I might have put too much in, but it turned out perfect. Only regret is I wish I bought some naan to go with it.
Christ, I've gotta migrate all my stuff to the problem thread. I didn't put my summer squash in the curry, and that was the main reason I made it. I have a squash getting old in the fridge, and the other stuff was purchased to better utilize the squash. I made everything *but* the squash :^S

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
the train wasn't late.

Christ, I've gotta migrate all my stuff to the problem thread. I didn't put my summer squash in the curry, and that was the main reason I made it. I have a squash getting old in the fridge, and the other stuff was purchased to better utilize the squash. I made everything *but* the squash :^S
is that some sort of zucchini?

If so and if it isn't a watery kind, you can make a pasta with it. Julienne it as finely as you can (it sticks to the pasta this way), cook it but not too much, add cream, add lots of pepper (best if it's aromatic like red pepper) and mix with the cooked pasta.
Serve with grated parmesan.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm cooking some brats in the smoker and it's now pouring rain outside. The smoker is outside in the uncovered patio. I guess I'll find out how good Kamado Joe Jr. ceramic cooker holds the temperature in the pouring rain.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Cherries are back in season. I love cherries, but the season is short, so I enjoy them all the more when they're available. $1.99 a pound, bought four pounds, going to pig out.

Reactions: devBunny

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Had a really nice interview with some cool people today for a very decent paying job in the tech field, afterwards I hopped in my car and listened to the radio on the way to the liquor store where I bought a small bottle of top shelf vodka as a reward for doing so well. My car has a turbo and requires 93 octane, by choice. I also declined to eat at home and instead stopped somewhere else and picked up food that was already prepared for me, even though there were 6 extra burgers ready to go at home.

Reactions: highland145
Feb 25, 2011
Need a new title for my old car. (Lost it, had a lien release I never filed, transferring it to my brother.)

So I got on the state website and it says a new title takes 10 business days, but can be "rushed" for a $20 fee, in which case it's 3-5 business days. I'm seeing him over Memorial Day weekend, so I want the rush.

So last Thursday, I went to the DMV. Did not have to wait in line. Handed them a filled out form and was told the rush fee was only $10. But 3-5 business days, so I hope it's in the mail by this Thursday, right? If it arrives on Friday, I get it in time, otherwise, I hand off the car and mail the title later.

According to the UPS Informed Delivery email, I am receiving the reissued title in the mail today.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Made fried chicken at home (mmm, panko). Unfortunately, ran out of every flavor of sauce known to mankind...no BBQ in the fridge. No honey mustard. Not even a jar of sweet & sour to be found. Miraculously, however, I found a couple small tubs of Chik-fil-a sauce in the back of the fridge.

Yissssssssssssssssss :D

Q1eoybr.jpg

I woke up As a person living with cancer this is a biggie :)

Reactions: dave_the_nerd

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I woke up As a person living with cancer this is a biggie :)

I am attempting to clone the sauce recipe (accurately)...I'll let you know if I'm successful. There are a zillion recipes out there & each one is a tiny little bit different, haha.

Reactions: Geekbabe

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I was standing in line at walmart, and a retarded kid(13yr old?) came up to me like we were long separated best friends. We shook hands, and gave each other bro hugs while his father was trying to get him to come back. He hung out for a couple minutes, and eventually his father convinced him to come back. Handshakes and bro hugs goodbye, and that was it.

I think I stood out to him cause of my BDUs and knives. Dunno... It was good meeting someone who wasn't a dickhead. Sweet kid. Today was probably my best walmart experience ever :^)

Reactions: devBunny and Kaido