Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
got Best Buy to price match a pricing error on Frys.com for Planet Earth II 4K Blu ray...earlier today, they had it for $26.99. when I went to Best Buy, they checked the website and the price was corrected to $38.99 but she gave me the price match anyway....

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
We do this thing in scouts called Thorns and Roses. At the end of your day, in front of the campfire or just anywhere you can gather, you go through the group and everyone gives their thorn or thing that happened that they could have done without, and their rose, or thing they really liked. It's nice because you get to acknowledge what happened and can avoid that or do it differently in the future, and then focus on the rose, or good thing that happened, which gives you a little dopamine boost right before bed and puts good thoughts in your head. I'm trying to live my life with less thorns and more roses in an attempt to remove stress and be a better person. It's not easy, but I think the benefits will be worth it.

Reactions: devBunny

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
My fenix 3hr didn't sync my swim workout last night & i thought I had lost it forever. Hit sync, just to check, and it was still on the watch & uploaded as expected to garmin connect, strava, & trainingpeaks!

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Installed solar and got my first electric bill this month - 9 whole freaking dollars and banked 250 kWh.

Reactions: Kaido

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Music show? Talk show? Details!
Music. My DJ handle on University of California, Berkeley's KALX, Berkeley 90.7 FM and streaming from our website at www.kalx.berkeley.edu is The Muse. My current show is Tuesday, 3-6PM Pacific Time.

I play a highly eclectic mix of dang near anything in an effort to turn on the listener (the listener includes me doing the show live and listening to the show later from my recording).

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Music. My DJ handle on University of California, Berkeley's KALX, Berkeley 90.7 FM and streaming from our website at www.kalx.berkeley.edu is The Muse. My current show is Tuesday, 3-6PM Pacific Time.

I play a highly eclectic mix of dang near anything in an effort to turn on the listener (the listener includes me doing the show live and listening to the show later from my recording).

Back in undergrad I hosted a radio show at U of T, CIUT 89.5 FM in Toronto. Being the bum boy I had the graveyard shift 11 pm to 7 am. These were days of rock and roll bands , late 60's so the playlist was major raucous and drug fueled. Hardly remember a thing of those nights but students pulling all-nighters called in their favorites and new releases jolted the darkened silence.
I do remember the look on my replacement's face at 6.59 am when he arrived to start his show. I invariably played Hendrix and the Stones as the penultimate and final tunes saying good morning to the snoozers . The morning man had nothing to beat that and was suitably discouraged I thought.

Reactions: Kaido

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That would have made you ~$60 in Ontario.

Then deduct the $100 delivery charge and you still pay $40. :p

I've been looking into solar myself actually. I figure I could do something half decent for about $20k. Issue is it would not be enough to go off grid so even if I hardly use any hydro it's still the delivery fee that hits hard.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I know, we caught you on camera:

45673af04c15574e01516c6913dfed4b.jpg
lol what an amateur. I lifted a Sony 4k 75" smart TV. Get on my level.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I weighed in this morning at my lowest weight ever. Since 2005. For real. I'm now officially past the 60 lbs mark from my peak weight of 212 lbs. 8 lbs to hit target goal weight #1. Then re-evaluate for a new weight goal.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I found some new pics on IMGUR

http://i.imgur.com/6bw8OyA.jpg
The nerve... to post pussy on AT Forums! :O

Good thing today: I called a local supermarket and asked them to set aside a dozen bagels for me to pick up later in the day. I was told they didn't have enough but they would bake some special for me and they'd be ready by noon. I got there after 1:30PM and they said they hadn't baked them yet because one of their ovens had malfunctioned. They had a long line of things to bake backed up. She said she'd have it for me in 1/2 hour. I noticed 7 of the flavor I wanted in a bin, and she said I could have them, add another 5 from other bins to make a dozen and she'd give me the dozen "on the house!"

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Back in undergrad I hosted a radio show at U of T, CIUT 89.5 FM in Toronto. Being the bum boy I had the graveyard shift 11 pm to 7 am. These were days of rock and roll bands , late 60's so the playlist was major raucous and drug fueled. Hardly remember a thing of those nights but students pulling all-nighters called in their favorites and new releases jolted the darkened silence.
I do remember the look on my replacement's face at 6.59 am when he arrived to start his show. I invariably played Hendrix and the Stones as the penultimate and final tunes saying good morning to the snoozers . The morning man had nothing to beat that and was suitably discouraged I thought.
Wow, 8 hour shift. When I started we had 4 hour shifts. Nowadays, the longest shifts we have are 3 hours. Occasionally, maybe a DJ by virtue of some accident might do a double shift (i.e. 6 hours).

My first regular show was 2-6AM, did that on Thursdays for 6 months and landed a 6-10AM show, and went from there. I've had every imaginable shift, have done more shows on my station than any DJ in history, doubt I'll be surpassed.

Yeah, Hendrix and Stones is finishing your show with a major flourish.

Way back when I didn't record my shows, but nowadays it's easy to do so and always make an MP3 of my show, and I always listen to it at least once and I can keep the files indefinitly, HD space is cheap. Back when, when I was damn poor, I sometimes reused my cassette tapes and therefore would forgo being able to relisten to the recorded-over show.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I quit facebook.
I hit facebook maybe once every couple weeks. Usually leave without feeling like I knew what I was doing there in the first place. I get several emails daily about Facebook activities, "friends" updating, posting pictures, etc. etc. I'm usually too busy to bother hitting the links.

On my birthday I get a lot of Happy Birthday stuff from all my FB friends! I have no idea when their birthdays are!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, even though my local pharmacy is messed up and cant get my drugs, I think it may be possible to get something from Canada.
Either that or I just got scammed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I mailed in my passport application and received my passport in less than three weeks, including round trip mail time. This wasn't even the expedited service.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Stoked that this is the 1st weekend (since late February) where I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. Thinking about just being a couch potato and watching a DVD today. :D

Nov 20, 2009
I should have posted this yesterday but one of my favorite restaurants near me comp'd everything by the alcohol. So, instead of a $120 bill it was $27. I left a $30 tip as the waiter, someone who has waited on us before, is terrific.