Returning laptop cuz of Windows 8

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
When you watch a netflix movie in win8, you must use the windows "app." you cannot reduce the window and keep it running. As soon as you flip back to the "desktop," the movie stops.

FACT: you cannot have multiple "app" windows open on one screen anymore. For this reason alone Win8 is a loser.

I call whatever you called on me, on you.
Just use your desktop browser and go to netflix.com and sign in. WTH man...did everyone just forget how Windows works since the start button disappeared? I haven't heard this much pissing and moaning about a Windows OS since the program manager went away...good god get over it.

Last edited:

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I learned something cool.... even went to the MS store the other day and walked around (I never buy the stuff at retail in the mall, but I like to play with the phones/laptops and see the cool projection wallpapers) but this older lady was checking out new windows 8 ultrabooks and she was talking to a Microsoft store employee who was showing her how to get around without the start menu... she kept insisting how she missed it and I asked if she would mind If I showed her something (since I was sitting right across from them) and they both said sure... and I told them about WINDOWS KEY + X on windows 8 and how it pops up the little menu that allows you to quick jump to certain places and she seemed happy. the store employee even thanked me b/c she hadn't known of that and had just been telling people who would ask her questions about how to hover over the side bar and access 'settings' 'desktop' 'share' etc....

Lesson of the story... use WINDOWS KEY + X

max347

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2007
Yep. I might try to install one of those programs that give you windows back instead of this tablet garbage. I couldn't get past the vomiting to even try to look for a different UI. This is my first impression of the new OS, like it or not. That impression can be described as intense rage and hatred. Maybe I can get an IT degree to learn how to navigate through the garbage?

If you can navigate to this website, you can figure out Windows 8. I have faith in you. No IT degree required.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
There is a long thread at microsoft.com with A LOT of unhappy windows 8 users.

I didn't spend much time scrolling through it, but much like the majority of the threads here all of the posts I saw were baseless whining and handwaving.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
^
That's what I read in there too.

Be the same people moaning when Windows Blue arrives,besides not like anybody is forced to use latest Windows OS,plenty of alternatives out there.

Personally Win8 is dead simple to use...I don't even miss the old Start button,not needed IMHO.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Be the same people moaning when Windows Blue arrives,besides not like anybody is forced to use latest Windows OS,plenty of alternatives out there.

Personally Win8 is dead simple to use...I don't even miss the old Start button,not needed IMHO.

I added the new start button (classic shell) because I miss it. A crap load of people I know miss it as well. It is a matter of personal preference. Microsoft should of had the option to use it instead of me looking for a third party program.

I do not hate windows 8 but a few things bug me about it such as the start button (not anymore since classic shell) and I do not use "metro" at all if I can help it.

Quantos

Dec 23, 2011
I don't use the new UI either. The lack of integration and common sense between desktop and metro applications / UI is quite "meh". However, I don't hate Win 8 at all. I use Classic Shell, which for all intents and purposes, makes Win 8 behave just like Win 7, except faster and with better tools.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It doesn't bother me I rarely use metro. 99% of the time I'm in the desktop mode. Let monitor go to sleep like that when I get back on I'm at the same place.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Don't fix Windows8.. it is schizophrenic and doesn't know if it wants to be a tablet interface or a desktop environment..

just install Linux Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=106 Fire up the ISO and give it a shot before installing over Windows8.
That's with the default Mint UI (Cinnamon desktop). Pretty much will take you back to the classic shell you want with no BS. It's not just a Win95 style shell though, it has advanced features and it's own bling.

I'm more of an Ubuntu fan myself as I never really found the Windows UI to ever be that well thought out from Windows 3.0 -> 8. I'd suggest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit (the above Mint link is the long term support release as well), but it would be worth trying out both Mint and Ubuntu.

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Hehe...
I have heard it all now from "simple childish interface "to "need an IT degree to learn it",basically Win8 is very easy to use if you can be bothered to sit down and learn how to use it like any OS,its not that far different from Win7 and Metro can be avoided for the most part,I understand everybody has different opinions on Win8 etc...however I would not say its hard to learn,you almost make me wish I was back in my DOS 6.22 days, now that was an OS where you needed to learn a thing or two.
Ctrl + Alt + Del is just as quick as Windows + I for shutdown/reboot, Windows + X for everything else is just retarded when you already have your hand on the mouse.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The tl;dr response I have to every post made here.
If the GUI of Win8 drives you up the wall, just switch to Linux.
;)
My main OS is Linux for over a decade, and have use Linux for almost 2 decades. And, I can't depart from Windows completely, because there are a few software that I use are not available for Linux and the equivalent in Linux are buggy or lack the refinement/tools compares to software that are written for Windows.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Win 8 is a toy for children as far as I am concerned. It is junkware. I kind of liked it for a day when I got used to it, but it was too goofey could not even stream video on it.

If it was a good OS, you would not need to install 3rd party software to make it work or customize a shutdown button.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Ctrl + Alt + Del is just as quick as Windows + I for shutdown/reboot, Windows + X for everything else is just retarded when you already have your hand on the mouse.

That's the great thing about Win8 its very customizable ,I've added Shut Down,Reboot etc to Win+X menu so when I right click in left corner on old destop can Shut Down etc...I can of course add it to desktop taskbar or Metro Start etc... so plenty of ways to customize and do things etc..personally I don't really use keyboard shortcuts....I have my Win8 setup fine for mouse use etc...everything within one or two clicks max,not hard at all.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Tried out Windows 8 on two different laptops. It's an unmitigated disaster for non-tablet PC users.

I see literally no reason to use the Metro interface for anything. There's simply no logic to the design whatsoever. Metro doesn't help me do anything faster or more productive that I used to be able to do with Windows 7. The fact that it took me, a seasoned OS veteran, 20 minutes to figure out how to reboot my damn PC is a testament to what a failure in UI design Windows 8 is.

It's a shame because there is a lot to like in Windows 8. The new task manager is excellent as are the ribbon menus in the file explorer. For now I'm sticking with Windows 7 for my PC needs, and will upgrade when MS fixes their mistakes (which they are usually good about doing).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I use it on my desktop but I could not imagine it on laptops. Played with them in store and I tell you right now if I ever needed a laptop I would get a decent model and throw 7 on there or linux.

No way in hell am I going to want a touch screen on a laptop for what I do. I wipe my phones screen off every 20 seconds I can't imagine all the smudges on a laptop.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I use it on my desktop but I could not imagine it on laptops. Played with them in store and I tell you right now if I ever needed a laptop I would get a decent model and throw 7 on there or linux.

No way in hell am I going to want a touch screen on a laptop for what I do. I wipe my phones screen off every 20 seconds I can't imagine all the smudges on a laptop.

I use Win8 on my laptop(lucky its does not have a touch screen),I just use mouse and keyboard which is fine,always hated using touch pad on laptops since XP days...

I also end up cleaning my Android tablet screen often since I too hate smudges on my screen but hard to avoid with touch screen devices.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Tried out Windows 8 on two different laptops. It's an unmitigated disaster for non-tablet PC users.

I see literally no reason to use the Metro interface for anything. There's simply no logic to the design whatsoever. Metro doesn't help me do anything faster or more productive that I used to be able to do with Windows 7. The fact that it took me, a seasoned OS veteran, 20 minutes to figure out how to reboot my damn PC is a testament to what a failure in UI design Windows 8 is.

It's a shame because there is a lot to like in Windows 8. The new task manager is excellent as are the ribbon menus in the file explorer. For now I'm sticking with Windows 7 for my PC needs, and will upgrade when MS fixes their mistakes (which they are usually good about doing).

Really...? Were you just trying to figure it out on your own as like a challenge type thing because there are faster ways to find the answer to that.

Also if you hate metro don't use it. When I first installed 8 I thought metro was cool and intuitive but after several months I came to the realization that metro is for tablets and phones and is not needed for my desktop. Now I completely ignore it. The only time I know it's there is when I reboot and then I just hit the win key and I'm back to the desktop.

Spend a few weeks actually learning the OS and it's really not that bad. My only real dislike about 8 is having to learn a few keyboard shortcuts like win+x or win+c+magnifying glass but overall it's really not as bad as you think.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Really...? Were you just trying to figure it out on your own as like a challenge type thing because there are faster ways to find the answer to that.

Also if you hate metro don't use it. When I first installed 8 I thought metro was cool and intuitive but after several months I came to the realization that metro is for tablets and phones and is not needed for my desktop. Now I completely ignore it. The only time I know it's there is when I reboot and then I just hit the win key and I'm back to the desktop.

Spend a few weeks actually learning the OS and it's really not that bad. My only real dislike about 8 is having to learn a few keyboard shortcuts like win+x or win+c+magnifying glass but overall it's really not as bad as you think.

As to "Win+X" just do what I do ie right click in left bottom corner,I avoid using keyboard shortcuts where possible,mouse clicking is a lot easier.

rozkan

Mar 1, 2013
You can't anymore, but next time you buy a laptop, you can buy one without Windows on it. Just ask for it, it will reduce the price as well.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You can't anymore, but next time you buy a laptop, you can buy one without Windows on it. Just ask for it, it will reduce the price as well.

Plenty of options out there ,I had Win7 and Ubuntu as dual boot on my lappy,did same for my new laptop ie Win8/Ubuntu...Ubuntu lets you install via Windows so you can use which one you like as a dual boot option.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
Tried to put W8 as an upgrade on a Compaq CQ60 220US laptop.
HP has no sound drivers for W8, nor can I locate any for chipset.
All the management "aps" are difficult to find and use, like it is designed not for access to problem solving.
"aps" expect you to sign in to use them.
Every time I decide W8 is acceptable, there are new irritations involved.
Yes staying with a few tricks is are fine.
Every new occasion seems to hit walls.
What's with the stupid rectangle that shows up under cursor when trying to pull hidden controls from right?