Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review - First Results Up!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
As a gamer (games are the most stress I put on my system) the only way I would consider Bulldozer over Ivy Bridge for my new computer would be:

1) Same game performance (with a 7950ish OC'd card) at lower platform cost
2) More PCI-e lanes for the same approx. motherboard cost
3) More integrated SATA3 ports for the same motherboard cost (at the same performance as Intel)
4) Lower power consumption/heat at the same level of game performance

From my research, BD does not deliver any of those other than potentially a lower platform cost, so why would I even consider it?

2) and 3) are true , you cant get a 6 lane PCI E z68 board for ~220$ as with the UD7 990fx. It is generally accepted that for the same price an AMD board will offer more than an intel board.

I do admit that power usage is high for FX, but heat is around the same as with intel offerings, as long as you dont push your cpu above 1.45v. (which is more than enough for a high OC around 4.8 Ghz) I am sitting at 1.42v-1.44v.

Dravic

May 18, 2000
Pretty sad what was allowed to happen to this thread. Every Bulldozer thread doesn't need to turn into an Intel vs AMD thread, or an AMD suxors, INTEL RULZ !!!! 12 year old prep rally.

Nobody it trying to rewrite the facts here.

Intel has better IPC and runs cooler. Its the better purchase for the majority lightly threaded applications and games. It sit between an 2500 and 2600 and still needs to drop in price a bit to be really price competitive. NONE of this is being disputed.

Why is someone posting additional information about the #2 CPU maker paired with a high end GPU become such a problem for people. This is what we do on hardware sites. We like to see ALL the data points.

Believe it or not, even if it doesn't perform the best, some people will actually find it fun and interesting to still build an FX box.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It turned in that that because this guy spammed it *all* over the place to promote his blog.

This is not the appropriate place to drum up page hits for your website that is made of ripped off data from other websites.

sequoia464

Feb 12, 2003
Pretty sad what was allowed to happen to this thread. Every Bulldozer thread doesn't need to turn into an Intel vs AMD thread, or an AMD suxors, INTEL RULZ !!!! 12 year old prep rally.

Agree with this completely.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
So you are telling me that you will notice absolutely no difference in performance with two 7970s in crossfire between a 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz and a 2600k @ 4.8 Ghz? I highly doubt this. This might be the case for a single 7970, but not two.

Again, it really depends on the benchmark as well.

One or two FPS difference does not equal bottleneck. The GPU is still running at 99%.

You see, there's a difference between getting 1-3 FPS higher and getting 10-50 FPS higher, and that's what Sandy Bridge enables. Even an FX-8150 overclocked to its maximum cannot reach the gaming potential of an i5-2400, and it can only match stride with a "lowly" i3-2100.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
It turned in that that because this guy spammed it *all* over the place to promote his blog.

This is not the appropriate place to drum up page hits for your website that is made of ripped off data from other websites.

Why do people always get the misconception that Im spamming for no reason other than to spam for my blog which is the exact same thing i post on the forums??. What benefit do I get from someone visiting my non-profit blog, which is a clone of what I post on this forum. How did I turn out to be the dick here? :p Im simply trying to do the community a good thing. :|

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
One or two FPS difference does not equal bottleneck. The GPU is still running at 99%.

You see, there's a difference between getting 1-3 FPS higher and getting 10-50 FPS higher, and that's what Sandy Bridge enables. Even an FX-8150 overclocked to its maximum cannot reach the gaming potential of an i5-2400, and it can only match stride with a "lowly" i3-2100.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

The bottleneck in those games is the software optimization.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Why do people always get the misconception that Im spamming for no reason other than to spam for my blog which is the exact same thing i post on the forums??. What benefit do I get from someone visiting my non-profit blog, which is a clone of what I post on this forum. How did I turn out to be the dick here? :p Im simply trying to do the community a good thing. :|

Of course. Why on earth would we think you're trying to get page hits on your blog? (be sure to let it displaysimilar hits to see just how many differend boards this was pasted in to, as it hides many, many of them).

Last edited:

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Why is someone posting additional information about the #2 CPU maker paired with a high end GPU become such a problem for people. This is what we do on hardware sites. We like to see ALL the data points.

Because this specific someone is a bullshitter who

spams
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=356815
this
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...50-6990-review-Check-in-Daily-for-New-Results
misleading
http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5983
garbage
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696371&page=1
all
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...fx-8150-ocd-6990-review-first-results-up.html
over
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=189505&st=0
the
http://www.overclock.net/t/1194469/...50-6990-review-check-in-daily-for-new-results
web
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322765-28-return-8150-review-results
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/hardw...fx-8150-ocd-6990-review-first-results-up.html
a
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1663621
bot

Believe it or not, even if it doesn't perform the best, some people will actually find it fun and interesting to still build an FX box.

No debate from me bulldozer although a disappointment is an interesting chip, if its power consumption was better it would make a great transcoding chip for an always on media server. That would be my use for it anyway.

But like I said previously, this thread did not start with that intent, OP is simply a shill here to sell people on bulldozer by misleading them. Or to get hits for his blog which is the reason toms banned him. He even admitted that's what he was doing earlier.

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
What's garbage is your attitude, cheer up. Honestly this is getting out of hand, so just try to stay on topic. I didnt admit to anything but posting on all those forums. call it what you want, I am only trying to do the community a good thing. I am benchmarking my rig, and showing them with other results for comparisons sake. Enough with the childish name calling, take a chill pill and relax ^^

Last edited:

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
Dont get worked up over nothing, and be more constructive if you have anything to say. You haven't said a single constructive thing yet. It appears to me you have just come here to troll me, and the rest of the community for no apparent reason other than to have your way. Cant we all just be friends? ><

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Dont get worked up over nothing, and be more constructive if you have anything to say. You haven't said a single constructive thing yet. It appears to me you have just come here to troll me, and the rest of the community for no apparent reason other than to have your way. Cant we all just be friends? ><

Hmm well calling you out on all your BS is constructive to me but maybe you want something even more constructive :\ lets see... Aha heres a constructive suggestion! Delete your account, delete all your spam from every other forum then crawl back under your rock.

Sounds good yeah? Also if you have time take a hammer to your modem :thumbsup:

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
Hmm well calling you out on all your BS is constructive to me but maybe you want something even more constructive :\ lets see... Aha heres a constructive suggestion! Delete your account, delete all your spam from every other forum then crawl back under your rock.

:thumbsdown: :confused:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
:rolleyes:

Whats garbage is you havent been banned here as well...

LOLZ , the junk spreader troll call for bannishment..:D

There are really fools that hang by there , the kind that
are masturbating while looking at their intel PC totem...

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008

I hope admin are paying attention to thread crapping by you seriously , you don't like it get out of here , but stop calling names & spoiling any bulldozer thread because you hate it.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
He's clearly a spammer, so he should be called out in it. He also likes to spread BS, but that's another thing.

tulx

Jul 12, 2011
He's clearly a spammer, so he should be called out in it. He also likes to spread BS, but that's another thing.

How is he spamming and why is it garbage? If you don't like his thread, don't read it. He doesn't post it more than once on one site. He posts quite objective benchmarks. I wish all people would back their claims with numbers. Sadly, most can only yell out their unfounded opinion.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
OP, why havent you posted this on AMDZone yet? Seeing you posted on so many sites, just curious why you overlooked (or left out) AMDZone. They revel in such stuff. Is it because you were trying to influence opinion with regards to the other sites, and the Zone did not need influencing per se?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Strange how its only new members defending the OP :sneaky:
New members with the same lousy grasp of English :eek:

How is he spamming and why is it garbage? If you don't like his thread, don't read it. He doesn't post it more than once on one site. He posts quite objective benchmarks. I wish all people would back their claims with numbers. Sadly, most can only yell out their unfounded opinion.

Lmao, did you even read the OP?

Its full of FX8150 vs gulftown (same lame tactic AMD marketing initally used) and look at how FX8150 does in 7zip! A thinly veiled attempt to mislead people about bulldozer.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Strange how its only new members defending the OP :sneaky:
New members with the same lousy grasp of English :eek:

Lmao, did you even read the OP?

Its full of FX8150 vs gulftown (same lame tactic AMD marketing initally used) and look at how FX8150 does in 7zip! A thinly veiled attempt to mislead people about bulldozer.

And don't forget Dirt3, another marketing benchmark that doesn't prove anything.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

When the very first image on the thread is the logo for the FX processor, its spamming (not that I could prove that, or he would be banned)

Now speaking as a mod

If the name calling does not stop, I will lock this thread
Markfw900
Anandtech Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.