Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review - First Results Up!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Here's Anand's latest bench with the patches for Bulldozer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5448/the-bulldozer-scheduling-patch-tested/2

For the price points I don't feel Bulldozer is a rip off and I'm glad they're selling with good reviews on Newegg. Yes it's a new arch that is forward thinking. The question how much of a performance increase will we see with Piledriver.

What I find pathetic is the way everyone acts like the FX line is complete trash. Then recommend Intel at a much higher cost. Even when people have set budgets and a Core i3 will not be as good as a FX-4100 in real world scenarios.

Again, it is not 2001 anymore. For many tasks (gaming included) Intel is cheaper and better. BD is NOT price competitive in any way. Your reasoning here is seriously flawed.

AMD is not bad, but it's just not as good as Intel. Any BD CPU >$200 is a waste of money, plain and simple. Some of the recent deals with the 8210 + MB are solid, and could make sense. Still, I would rather have a 2500k/2600k for everyday tasks. Cost is similar, power consumption is better, OC ability is better, and performance is much more reliable across functions.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
If that's true then that would compromise the entire premise of the experiment.

You think marketing folk do experiments? Marketing, by definition, devises ways to get you to buy their product. Nothing more. They aren't interested in unbiased experiments. That is what we have independent reviewers for.

Have you not ever wondered why every single brand of toothpaste is recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists? Because you're being misled without resorting to stating something untrue. What do those dentists recommend that toothpaste as an alternative to? Likely, they recommend using that toothpaste vs. not using any toothpaste. Remarkably, they will also recommend using every other brand vs. using no toothpaste at all. Or, they pick 10 dentists who they already know their preference and make it 9 to 1. There is never any mention of survey methodology, because it isn't a survey, it is an advertisement.

And in this case it isn't even a good advertisement. It reinforces the warped view of individuals who have a "don't confuse me with the facts. My mind is already made up." attitude, but those folks already would make the poor choice anyway. To everyone else, it's so blatant that it gets dismissed outright because it is a lone data point, created by AMD's marketing team vs. the full body of data that we have that suggests otherwise.

Last edited:

Tripwir3

Feb 17, 2011
OP - this is not a complete review until you start analyzing the heat output and watt usage when overclocked. On both accounts it is insane!

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
I will be doing a power usage post soon! ^^ First AVP revisited / POV Ray 3.7 in coming days!

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Does this guy even have the permission of the sites he's ripping off all these pictures from?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Does this guy even have the permission of the sites he's ripping off all these pictures from?

Doubt it, someone mentioned earlier his thread over at toms was locked. Same copy paste crap that hes spamming to most of the tech forums.

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
keep on hating, I post my sources. And again its for comparisons sake, im not claiming that any of the comparison benchmarks are mine.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
What I asked is if you are re-using their work with their permission. Attribution does not equate to permission.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
What I asked is if you are re-using their work with their permission. Attribution does not equate to permission.

If they do not agree they will announce it , or if you are too
much worried go mail them...:biggrin:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
When this review is done, Piledriver will be released. lol

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
They were only mentioning that I was using them to advertise my blog, and not because I was reusing their images.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
Now I am wondering what Bulldozer can do with 2x HD 7970s in Xfire. Has anyone seen results on this yet?

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
Yes but what about at 4.8 Ghz and above? :) A 2600k will even bottleneck two 7970s at stock.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
2x 7970 + 4.8ghz FX = ~ 800w - 1000w PSU. Did you see how much power those 7970s draw in crossfire? Not worth it imho.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Yes but what about at 4.8 Ghz and above? :) A 2600k will even bottleneck two 7970s at stock.

Wrong.

And getting 4.8GHz on Bulldozer means 1.45-1.55V depending on the CPU, which is way too high since it's now on a smaller process node.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
As a gamer (games are the most stress I put on my system) the only way I would consider Bulldozer over Ivy Bridge for my new computer would be:

1) Same game performance (with a 7950ish OC'd card) at lower platform cost
2) More PCI-e lanes for the same approx. motherboard cost
3) More integrated SATA3 ports for the same motherboard cost (at the same performance as Intel)
4) Lower power consumption/heat at the same level of game performance

From my research, BD does not deliver any of those other than potentially a lower platform cost, so why would I even consider it?

polyzp

Jan 4, 2012
Wrong.

And getting 4.8GHz on Bulldozer means 1.45-1.55V depending on the CPU, which is way too high since it's now on a smaller process node.

So you are telling me that you will notice absolutely no difference in performance with two 7970s in crossfire between a 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz and a 2600k @ 4.8 Ghz? I highly doubt this. This might be the case for a single 7970, but not two.

Again, it really depends on the benchmark as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.