Retro gaming

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

You asked what was probably meant to be a rhetorical question, and I answered it.

There's no reason the someone can't appreciate both modern and retro games. I can play cod for hours, one of the best multiplayer games of all time, and then go have a good time with genesis sonic the hedgehog, one of the best platformers of all time.

So yes, I really think people do exactly that. Older gamers, at least.

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Gotcha. I think you missed my point, I probably should've been more clear, my bad. I was referencing doppel and his statement about people that play retro games. My point was, people play retro games because they like them and they're good games, not because they plow through every new release and have nothing better to do with their time.

Anyways, doppel was obviously just trolling and didn't deserve this much thought or effort.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
HTML:

I am guessing he got his turn like two decades ago. Honestly reading about people who have so much free time that they are deliberately playing these old games is depressing as hell to me.

Explain how playing a retro game takes up any more free time than playing a modern one?

Your statement and logic are baffling. Unless you mean replaying, but again, that's neither a modern vs. retro issues. Replaying a modern game is just as "depressing" as replaying a retro one.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think he's depressed that people actually play old games, he's depressed that he doesn't have nearly as much free time as he used to. I totally get that, Id play more older games if I had more overall time to play. I'd prefer to play modernized versions of older games though.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I don't think he's depressed that people actually play old games, he's depressed that he doesn't have nearly as much free time as he used to. I totally get that, Id play more older games if I had more overall time to play. I'd prefer to play modernized versions of older games though.

No, he was definitely being a dick about it.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I constantly find myself falling back to older games. I think part of the issue is back in the day, I had nothing better to do as a kid. So if the game was boring at first (like a lot of games are), I plowed through the boring part to the good stuff. I remember all the good stuff and want to go back to playing that.

Now, if a game is boring to start, with limited time I'm less tempted to give it more time. Thus, I'd be tempted to play a 'tried n' true' game.

That said, I love the Gears of War series, Burnout series (although no recent installations other than some arcade style game which I don't like), the Batman series, etc. These were all excellent from the start so kept my attention.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nor could you really plow through games back then. Not unless you were made of money. You had to squeeze every last drop out of them. Games are so easy to get cheap now.

Nowadays the level of artistry is so high that if a game doesn't grab me pretty quick (or has incredible reviews), I'm moving on. I'm actually losing some patience for that gaminess, that filler that too many games still rely on, like treasure hunts, side missions, etc. Now that there's an actual story to tell and so much more going on, that stuff ends up being such a distraction.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
So my memory of Dragon Warrior is that it was a LONG HARD boring grind back in the day. Like longest game I've ever played from some reason .

But with my experience playing newer games, anything from Final Fantasy VI and CT to FF7, Fallout 3, etc spending hundreds of hours on a "perfect savefile", Dragon Warrior is nothing.

Results of a hardcore RPG veteran: 2 days after picking it up, level 30, best gear and max stats.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
%255BUNSET%255D

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Now to pick up II III and IV.

I remember I REALLY enjoyed III. A lot. I hardly remember anything about it so should be exciting again. For some reason the main thing I remember is sneaking into a shop at night to steal a poison needle.

Last edited:

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
So my memory of Dragon Warrior is that it was a LONG HARD boring grind back in the day. Like longest game I've ever played from some reason .

But with my experience playing newer games, anything from Final Fantasy VI and CT to FF7, Fallout 3, etc spending hundreds of hours on a "perfect savefile", Dragon Warrior is nothing.

Results of a hardcore RPG veteran: 2 days after picking it up, level 30, best gear and max stats.

Hah, indeed. My memory of US Final Fantasy I was as some ending death machine grind, but it's actually a fairly easy game. I remember getting to level 20 in Dragon Warrior with substantial ease, and then it gets hard. I also remember getting my ass kicked by a metallic slime.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I open all my carts and test the battery before I play them (haven't ordered a NES PowerPak flash cart yet). Star Tropics and Dragon Warrior both at 3.2v !!! How the f.........?

No obvious signs the battery was ever replaced.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Hah, indeed. My memory of US Final Fantasy I was as some ending death machine grind, but it's actually a fairly easy game. I remember getting to level 20 in Dragon Warrior with substantial ease, and then it gets hard. I also remember getting my ass kicked by a metallic slime.

15-20 is a constant 3k per level and 21-30 is 5k per level. So time to get to 30 is same as time to get to 21. And enemies don't give less experience when you out level them, so its actually an extremely easy and consistant grind.

Most people attempt to grind metal slimes for 110 experience highest in game I think, but they run so often its actually better exp fighting the axe knight over and over for 54 experience. You can kill him more than twice as fast as any enemy in the game giving double the experience of the top exp giving monsters in the game (metal slimes, red dragon, etc) Plus he spawns always upon moving into the same square (no aimless wandering with no encounters and no random annoying or lesser enemies to waste time on) and you can kill him in 1-2 hits at that level vs 4 hits required for metal slime, not including high miss rate and escapes. Thus Axe Knight is THE best experience grind in the game.

Cheap trick is use Repel + walk around in Erdricks Armour = complete heal for 2MP, and you can grind for hours without going back to town.

Last edited:

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Whelp, my brother got a lead on some Sony Trinitron broadcast monitors... Seems promising.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
15-20 is a constant 3k per level and 21-30 is 5k per level. So time to get to 30 is same as time to get to 21. And enemies don't give less experience when you out level them, so its actually an extremely easy and consistant grind.

Most people attempt to grind metal slimes for 110 experience highest in game I think, but they run so often its actually better exp fighting the axe knight over and over for 54 experience. You can kill him more than twice as fast as any enemy in the game giving double the experience of the top exp giving monsters in the game (metal slimes, red dragon, etc) Plus he spawns always upon moving into the same square (no aimless wandering with no encounters and no random annoying or lesser enemies to waste time on) and you can kill him in 1-2 hits at that level vs 4 hits required for metal slime, not including high miss rate and escapes. Thus Axe Knight is THE best experience grind in the game.

Cheap trick is use Repel + walk around in Erdricks Armour = complete heal for 2MP, and you can grind for hours without going back to town.

Now I remember why I never beat that game.

FFII was such a huge step forward....no grinding necessary.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Now I remember why I never beat that game.

FFII was such a huge step forward....no grinding necessary.

Grinding is never really necessary in most games, I just seek perfection.

Level 99 with 9999 HP and 255 stats, etc. There is just something about smacking Kefka down in one turn before he's even finished talking shit.

Besides like I said even grinding to max level Dragon Warrior still only took me two days. As a kid I remember it taking weeks/months for some reason.

Its weird having 65,535 gold (unsigned 16 bit var) after it seemed impossible to buy a silver shield not hours earlier.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Sigh.... I'm thinking about trying my hand at NES dev.

Soon as it clicked how CHR-ROM, name tables, and attribute tables work, I've already devised a way in my head to get parallax scrolling on NES with overlapped layers (not breaking at scanlines).

For BG tiles you have 8 versions of each tile each simply shifted 1 pixel column. When you create the name table for the frame, offset the choice of background tile base on scroll ammount mod 8. Really just using tile animation for select tiles to achieve the illusion of parallax,as NES doesn't have layers.

The background layer tiles would be limited to very simple repeating patterns since just 4 tiles x 8 versions = 32 of your tiles out of 256 at a time, and after all that its limited to one direction only. Any non square boundary tile or silhouette object which shows BG though would also need 8-16 versions withall the shifted BG pixels.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
After further reading it doesn't look like there is enough time during vblank to update more than 1 row or column of tile indices in the name table. I'm guess the games that do what I described must use a mapper with CHR-RAM instead of ROM, have enough CHR-RAM for two pattern tables, and double buffer them, re-uploading the tiles themselves to animate them, and then swapping the pattern table address on vblank. Seems to be the only plausible way given that the name tables themselves are stored internally to the PPU and cannot be manipulated in such a manner.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I remember thinking how epic the Dragon Warrior games seemed, so did Y's book 1 and 2. I always had a fondness for Zelda 2, it was my favorite one of all of the series as i was never much of a fan anyway.
I have an odd favorite game of mine that to me back then seemed epic, and even with a freaking game genie i couldn't beat it because i got stuck in an area unsure where to go or what to do..that game was Faxanadu.
dunno why i always liked it so much, still play it from time to time and its a stupid game actually.
200px-Faxanadu_NES_US_box.jpg