Retro gaming

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
I primarily focused on first/second party games. I had nearly all of them that had been released at the time.

Trying to go from memory...
Luigi's Mansion
Waverace: Blue Storm
1080° Avalanche
Eternal Darkness
Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart Double Dash (special double-disc case with a retailer exclusive demo disc)
F-Zero GX
Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Rogue Squadron III (retailer exclusive release with an extra bonus demo disc)
Probably some of the Capcom REmake games.
Mario Party 4 (maybe others)
Zelda Master Quest bonus disc
Zelda Wind Waker
Zelda Collector's Edition
Animal Crossing
Maybe Kirby's Air Ride? I don't remember if that was released at the time.
maybe Mario Strikers
maybe Geist
Smash Bros. Melee
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Maybe Zelda Four Swords Adventures

Metroid Prime
maybe Metroid Prime 2?
at least one of those would have been a retailer exclusive version with a bonus demo disc.

Probably others I don't remember. Yeah. It stung quite a bit.

Oh yeah. Phantasy Star Online and the Broadband adapter for early GC hacking

I think I had Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles too.

Really nice collection there dude. That had to sting real bad. Yeah I had mostly first party games as well. The GameCube is a far underrated system, and IMO has, hands down, one of the best controllers available. Can't wait to get them back from the rents. I might attempt to mod one of them with HDMI.

Is Waverace worth it? Or Smash Bros worth getting as a 1 player game? I heard Waverace fell slightly short of how good Waverace 64 actually was, and I know Smash Bros (especially Melee on the GCN) is really a 4 player simultaneous masterpiece, but is it worth having for the mostly 1 player stuff I will be doing now a days?

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Really nice collection there dude. That had to sting real bad. Yeah I had mostly first party games as well. The GameCube is a far underrated system, and IMO has, hands down, one of the best controllers available. Can't wait to get them back from the rents. I might attempt to mod one of them with HDMI.

Is Waverace worth it? Or Smash Bros worth getting as a 1 player game? I heard Waverace fell slightly short of how good Waverace 64 actually was, and I know Smash Bros (especially Melee on the GCN) is really a 4 player simultaneous masterpiece, but is it worth having for the mostly 1 player stuff I will be doing now a days?
I never really got into Waverace or 1080° on either platform, but I was still impressed by Waverace for GC when I rented the Japanese version (along with Japanese GC and Luigi's Mansion) from Microplay before the GC was officially released in the states.

I just had too much stuff to play during the GC lifetime, so I didn't get to play SSB:M nearly as much as the N64 game. Single-player on N64 was definitely still fun, but any SSB game is more fun with other players. I'm sure the single player experience on GC was at least as fun as the N64 version. Collecting those really detailed trophies was an awesome way to keep people playing.