Reset Dell Bios Password?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hmm, that may be a 5 character passcode that is needing an older tool to work with. Some cursory searching online suggests to try -595B hash for that model, which provides us with this :

jib1hjei (which is JIB1HJEI, all letters except that number one in the center), lower case.

That won't work if it will only accept a 5 digit code however. I'll see if I can find an older solution if so.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Ugh, the prevalence of people trying to charge money to reset passwords makes searching for this information quite difficult. The nearest I can gather is that the 1501 is a bit of an oddball, and uses an older 5-character passcode rather than the newer 7-character passcode of the newer models with the service tag bios-code suffix (eg; 595B).

Also of note is that they do not respond to bios battery removal OR the paperclip shorting technique, and both of those are involved procedures where you have to de-shell the laptop to get direct physical access to the mainboard.

Does the laptop boot to CD? I have a link to a Dell service tool which supposedly resets the bios. It won't help if it won't try to boot to a disc though.

luvbug66

Aug 25, 2013
Morning.

Well we have progress, some how other half managed to get into bios, not that its helped, as there is also an admin password which we can't get past into the system either. Was hoping the BIOS may help reset that but alas no.

Discovered a week or so ago that the bios battery removal does nothing, happily it was accessible just under the keyboard so no major destruction. Newer laptops are obviously way beyond my old school solutions.
I greatly appreciate your willingness to assist, but feel it may be in vain.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Do you have any bootable cds (eg: windows xp discs) that you can stick in the drive to see if it's set to boot from disc first? If so, we can try the Dell boot CD that is the official Dell tool to reset the password.

luvbug66

Aug 25, 2013
Yes we have Xp discs and bios access now. Just about to eat our evening meal will try and get back to you.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

luvbug66

Aug 25, 2013
It tries to install xp, so now off to try your suggestions. Thanks, will let you know how I get on.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

jimmyp2012

Aug 31, 2013
Hi Arkaign. I've just signed up to this forum.

I have a 7yr old Dell XPS M1710 which I have just today replaced the mobo in with one from e-bay. The replacement mobo works fine, but has a BIOS system Administrative Password from the previous owner presumably.

The System Number is; H501MD1-595B.

Any chance of you trying your system password utility on this one for me please?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hi Arkaign i have a dell unobtainium model which uses liquid metal from the T2000 series to cool a reactor.. and well... the flex compacitor which lets me time skip needs a reset code... can u you help?

(sarcasm)

in serious i think u guys owe Arkaign a big thank you for helping out.
If you got unlucky and went the dell route... he is litterally saving u 4 phone call transfers.. and serveral hours with tech support, if u still had it.

:p

jimmyp2012

Aug 31, 2013
Continuing from post#61 above, I've managed to erase the system Administration Password (and all other passwords) on the replacement mobo on my M1710.

Used the Dell Service Tag Change Utility A28 (refer post #21 & #56 above) from a CD.

Left HDD in the machine, booted from the ST change CD, and changed the Service Tag on the replacement mobo to the original Service Tag for my machine/mobo.

Now have full access to all features of the A07 BIOS (which is great from my point of view in that I have the T7600G/SL9U5 processor with unlocked multiplier that can be overclocked through the A07 BIOS, as per previous).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction bruceb and Arkaign.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hi Arkaign. I've just signed up to this forum.

I have a 7yr old Dell XPS M1710 which I have just today replaced the mobo in with one from e-bay. The replacement mobo works fine, but has a BIOS system Administrative Password from the previous owner presumably.

The System Number is; H501MD1-595B.

Any chance of you trying your system password utility on this one for me please?

I realize you have gotten some other solutions working, but FWIW :

The master password for that is 58ev2e79

:)

AMCJUNGLE

Oct 10, 2013
I need a bios admin password for my new E6500 I bought used. I hope you can help me also. Dell could not help me. They did try at least. Im getting 3CP6RH1-2A7B from the bios. It is the admin password of the bios I need to remove. Thank you in advance for your help.

dipdabear

Oct 26, 2013
Can someone please help me. I have Inspiron M5010. I can't get past the enter system password screen. I bought this laptop from a friend and they said their brother can't remember the password. What can I do?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Can someone please help me. I have Inspiron M5010. I can't get past the enter system password screen. I bought this laptop from a friend and they said their brother can't remember the password. What can I do?

We will need the service tag to attempt to help. PM me, because I don't check this thread constantly and don't feel like subscribing :)

compujock

Oct 29, 2013
Help!!! Can't get into my laptop. Dell Latitude:
I would be extremely grateful if someone can help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.