Republicans: No honeymoon if Clinton wins

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
That is some seriously fucked up electoral districts. You guys need to fix that asap. Talk about stealing elections.

It's really easy to say that, but not so easy to do when the opposition has redrawn the lines in their favor.

I know because I'm a part of the district in pink here:

jufwbzS.png

The republicans have done everything in their power to dilute the vote of the (more liberal) metro areas.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Lack of diversity? LOL. Have you been to Silicon Valley?
You are confusing SV with SV executive suites.
The executive suite is all anyone truly cares about when talking diversity, although I do think there is an unspoken gender problem in Silicon Valley

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Next time, BOTH parties should give us a decent nominee if you don't want a shit show after the election.

Trump was a real fucktard of a pick for president, no doubt.

But own up Dims.. so was Hillary. Lesser of two evils doesn't really cut it if you're expecting progress of some sort. I'd say the same about another Bush too- many of us are sick of these political dynasties.

Enjoy the shit show, it's what we get this time no matter who wins.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Next time, BOTH parties should give us a decent nominee if you don't want a shit show after the election.

Trump was a real fucktard of a pick for president, no doubt.

But own up Dims.. so was Hillary. Lesser of two evils doesn't really cut it if you're expecting progress of some sort. I'd say the same about another Bush too- many of us are sick of these political dynasties.

Enjoy the shit show, it's what we get this time no matter who wins.

We will get a shit show with Trump, we get status quo with Hillary.

Reactions: TeeJay1952

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Did you ever consider that what they are doing is damaging to the country?

Of course I've considered that, but obviously I think the damage she seeks to inflict is much more severe and more difficult to undo. Overall it's just a problem that can't be avoided and there is no perfect answer, so right now they need to limit the damage she can do.

And just so I get you correctly, you believe the country is best governed by whatever party doesn't control the presidency engaging in scorched earth opposition to what the president wants to do?

Nope, that depends completely on the president and what he/she intends to do. If you have a terrible president that fully intends to do harm to the country, then yes, any way for congress to limit that damage. If not, then you try to work together to achieve the goals.

Does this seem like a good long term governing plan to you?

Of course it doesn't, but when you have diametrically opposed directions, it's hard to compromise. We're just in a very divided time right now, and I don't see things changing any time soon. Things are getting more polarized, not less. In fact, the two candidates we have this year could not possibly be more polarizing (both of them).

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
In any case, SV is not worried about Elizabeth Warren, she has quite a following here.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Not white + Google logo + assimilation pullover sweater = diversity

I believe I clarified gender as the more problematic issue, although arguably there is a broader societal gender STEM educational issue. Someone else posted a list of links to articles that highlight the diversity problem in Silicon Valley, but I am also aware that Silicon Valley is trying harder than other industries to correct it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
In any case, SV is not worried about Elizabeth Warren, she has quite a following here.
I dont believe that is the issue. I think it is more the too big to fail mindset and that Silicon Valley is getting a bit bubbly again, two things she cares very much about.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Of course I've considered that, but obviously I think the damage she seeks to inflict is much more severe and more difficult to undo. Overall it's just a problem that can't be avoided and there is no perfect answer, so right now they need to limit the damage she can do.

Nope, that depends completely on the president and what he/she intends to do. If you have a terrible president that fully intends to do harm to the country, then yes, any way for congress to limit that damage. If not, then you try to work together to achieve the goals.

Gotcha, so scorched earth opposition is good for when there is a Democratic president but not when there is a Republican president. No way that's a recipe for disaster! No sirree!

Of course it doesn't, but when you have diametrically opposed directions, it's hard to compromise. We're just in a very divided time right now, and I don't see things changing any time soon. Things are getting more polarized, not less. In fact, the two candidates we have this year could not possibly be more polarizing (both of them).

Of course there could have been a more polarizing Democratic candidate. Clinton was actually broadly popular among both Democrats and Republicans... until it became clear she was going to be the Democratic nominee. Then her perceptions among Republicans predictably tanked. It's not about the candidates, the sickness is in the voters and you're providing a perfect example of it.

Reactions: ivwshane

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Gotcha, so scorched earth opposition is good for when there is a Democratic president but not when there is a Republican president. No way that's a recipe for disaster! No sirree!

Awesome, that strawman went down with one mighty blow!

I said nothing about democrat or republicans. It works the same for any president. Nice try though. Next time, try to address what I actually said instead of what you think I mean.

Of course there could have been a more polarizing Democratic candidate. Clinton was actually broadly popular among both Democrats and Republicans... until it became clear she was going to be the Democratic nominee. Then her perceptions among Republicans predictably tanked. It's not about the candidates, the sickness is in the voters and you're providing a perfect example of it.

What drugs are you on? She was the presumptive nominee going back to the 2008 primary season. After obummer surged and beat her out, everyone knew she was the queen waiting to be rightfully crowned. She's always been a shady scumbag, so obviously she's going to be tremendously polarizing. I can hardly think of anyone more polarizing as a candidate than her. Maybe Trump, that's a close call.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
What drugs are you on? She was the presumptive nominee going back to the 2008 primary season. After obummer surged and beat her out, everyone knew she was the queen waiting to be rightfully crowned. She's always been a shady scumbag, so obviously she's going to be tremendously polarizing. I can hardly think of anyone more polarizing as a candidate than her. Maybe Trump, that's a close call.

besides Trump praising her and Bill effusively in 2008, you had many Republicans doing the same:

http://correctrecord.org/praise-for-hillary-clinton/

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/politics/trump-ny1-clintons/

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I dont believe that is the issue. I think it is more the too big to fail mindset and that Silicon Valley is getting a bit bubbly again, two things she cares very much about.
Warren is not running for President.
There are going to be political attacks on Silicon Valley as automation takes more people's jobs, effectively giving their pay checks to tech companies. That's inevitable.
But the consensus in Silicon Valley is that the government should take care of those displaced, which means Democratic social safety net policies.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
Not white + Google logo + assimilation pullover sweater = diversity

I believe I clarified gender as the more problematic issue, although arguably there is a broader societal gender STEM educational issue. Someone else posted a list of links to articles that highlight the diversity problem in Silicon Valley, but I am also aware that Silicon Valley is trying harder than other industries to correct it.

It's more ET,

Surprisingly to me, most of the STEM majors aren’t doing as bad gender disparity-wise as I expected. 40-45% of the degrees in Math, Statistics, and the Physical Sciences were conferred to women in 2012. Even better, a majority of Biology degrees in 2012 (58%) were earned by women. This data tells me that we don’t really have a STEM gender gap in the U.S.: we have an ET gender gap!

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/...egrees-conferred-to-women-by-major-1970-2012/

If you're to include the social sciences you might even flip the numbers in 'S'.

The feminist faction of left easily tops when it comes to brazen lying, not only do they subvert the truth, they turn it upside down. The real and most glaring gendered education issue in US is boys falling way behind in reading and since it's a primary cognitive skill it affects other fields as well,

Most of us are not aware of the sheer size of the gender gap in literacy. Government reports do not trumpet these numbers. This presentation is the first time, to my knowledge, that these numbers have ever been presented. Take a look at the reading and writing achievement of boys whom we would most expect to do well, the sons of college educated parents––your sons and grandsons and the young men available for your daughters to marry. Take a look at the literacy of 12th graders, seniors in high school, those young men who have hung in there and not dropped out. At the end of high school, 23% of the white sons of college educated parents––almost a quarter–– scored “Below Basic” in reading achievement, compared to only 7% of their female counterparts.[1] (See Table). We are not talking about boys who read at the Basic Level. We are not talking about boys who read at the Proficient level. We are not talking about boys who read at the Advanced Level. We are talking about boys who read “Below Basic.” This means that almost one in four boys who have college educated parents can not read a newspaper with understanding. What kinds of jobs can they get in the information age, where not only professionals but also mechanics must be able to read complicated directions? Even more alarming, the reading skills of these boys––the white sons of college-educated parents––have dropped substantially over the last ten years.

http://www.singlesexschools.org/Kleinfeld.htm

There might be less male ghettoisation of ET fields if they had the skills to choose other.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

He is right though that SV upper level was rather white for a place that has so many non-white employees, but relatively speaking still better than other industries. Worth noting these are minorities categorized even by conservatives as model achievers, yet there's still something of a glass ceiling. To be fair, things do seem to be moving in the right direction and it looks as if it's a problem that might fix itself, which is something to be said for a progressive constituency.

It's more ET,

http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/...egrees-conferred-to-women-by-major-1970-2012/

If you're to include the social sciences you might even flip the numbers in 'S'.

The feminist faction of left easily tops when it comes to brazen lying, not only do they subvert the truth, they turn it upside down. The real and most glaring gendered education issue in US is boys falling way behind in reading and since it's a primary cognitive skill it affects other fields as well,

http://www.singlesexschools.org/Kleinfeld.htm

There might be less male ghettoisation of ET fields if they had the skills to choose other.

Must suck the boys clubs is no longer so exclusive with the increasing competition.

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
He is right though that SV upper level was rather white for a place that has so many non-white employees, but relatively speaking still better than other industries. Worth noting these are minorities categorized even by conservatives as model achievers, yet there's still something of a glass ceiling. To be fair, things do seem to be moving in the right direction and it looks as if it's a problem that might fix itself, which is something to be said for a progressive constituency.

Must suck the boys clubs is no longer so exclusive with the increasing competition.

What boys club? What competition? Did you miss the point again or are you simply incapable of reading?

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
Rather odd to blame anyone else of reading incomprehension when you can't understand what's been written.

That's my line. Again, what boys club and what competition and what must suck? Do you even realize that I pointed out how to make ET less male-dominated that it already is?

Stop acting like a know-it-all when you don't have the faintest clue.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's really easy to say that, but not so easy to do when the opposition has redrawn the lines in their favor.

I know because I'm a part of the district in pink here:

jufwbzS.png

The republicans have done everything in their power to dilute the vote of the (more liberal) metro areas.
Politicians should not be the ones defining electoral districts. It should be demographers.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I believe that the districts should be set in stone and left alone to prevent gerrymandering.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I believe that the districts should be set in stone and left alone to prevent gerrymandering.

Can't be. They're established proportional to population as established by the census. Populations shift within States & States gain or lose population so representation varies accordingly.