Republican Dodgers legend Steve Garvey rising in California Senate race

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
It is always funny to see your weird GOP victory fantasies. They would all lose in a landslide.
Those guys would win, especially Gibson. They'd win by 1-2 points. If Scott Brown can win in MA, why couldn't they, especially in a border state?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Those guys would win, especially Gibson. They'd win by 1-2 points. If Scott Brown can win in MA, why couldn't they, especially in a border state?
if you think the 2024 California senate will be within 1-2 points I would love to make a bet with you and take all your money.

Reactions: Muse

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's not going to be, but in an inflation environment, it could.
We are in an inflation environment as we always are when corporations raise their prices to create it to help Republicans win. I give Gibson the odds it will rain frogs in Death Valley. It could happen now that it's been raining thanks again to Republicans not wanting to do anything about fossil fuel emissions.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
20-30 years ago, Garvey would have been a threat.

Mike Piazza, a former Dodger and staunch Trumper, should have ran, he's younger and would have beaten Schiff.

Garvey should have ran for a suburban House seat....
20-30 years ago, Rudy Gulianni won the NYC mayoral election against a black man. So you are wrong to say a black republican would still have won that mayoral election.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Why have 3 Democrats running concertly and only one Republican.
There are other republicans running.
There are 27 candidates running in this jungle primary. The top two vote getters get to faceoff in the November election.

Reactions: GettyRoad

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
20-30 years ago, Rudy Gulianni won the NYC mayoral election against a black man. So you are wrong to say a black republican would still have won that mayoral election.
Today, Giuliani would not win. A Black Republican won't win in NYC either unless drastic circumstances.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Steve Garvey is leading.....

Told you Americans like athletes...

However, Dusty Baker and Dave Stewart, two of Garvey's black teammates did not endorse him...

Sad.

Black voters just don't trust Republicans, even their own teammates.

If John Franco or Al Leiter ran in NY or NJ, it sadly would probably be the same.
Dummy, blacks don't trust Republicans because they are a lot better than most at spotting phonies, something you wouldn't understand.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
yea, it looks like Schiff running ads for Garvey worked out for him.

He takes out Porter in the primary and cruises to an easy victory in the general. I wonder if Schiff is even smart enough to realize he is being used?

The good thing is it saves a lot of money from an interparty fight, and frees it up for other more important races.

The cynical part of it is Schiff has already switched his campaign to fight against the dangerous MAGA republican Garvey. That is a bit much for even me. You were running ads for him just last week Schiff. We all know the outcome already. There are more important races to spend money on.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
yea, it looks like Schiff running ads for Garvey worked out for him.

He takes out Porter in the primary and cruises to an easy victory in the general. I wonder if Schiff is even smart enough to realize he is being used?

The good thing is it saves a lot of money from an interparty fight, and frees it up for other more important races.

The cynical part of it is Schiff has already switched his campaign to fight against the dangerous MAGA republican Garvey. That is a bit much for even me. You were running ads for him just last week Schiff. We all know the outcome already. There are more important races to spend money on.
People could've chosen to not donate their money to an intra party fight. If 2 Dems are on the ticket, and they are both good Dems why would anyone donate to that battle? Now, even though it should be an easy win, there is still some possibility of a Republican getting that seat.

Further, having the Republican on the ballot will encourage Republican turnout, hurting Dems in down ballot contests.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
People could've chosen to not donate their money to an intra party fight. If 2 Dems are on the ticket, and they are both good Dems why would anyone donate to that battle? Now, even though it should be an easy win, there is still some possibility of a Republican getting that seat.

Further, having the Republican on the ballot will encourage Republican turnout, hurting Dems in down ballot contests.
that could hurt in my local contest.

But it is not even going to be close. It will be a complete blowout. 27% will be all Garvey gets in the general also.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

But it is not even going to be close. It will be a complete blowout. 27% will be all Garvey gets in the general also.

I don't know, he might get an extra 1% from the other candidates. The trouble is that Schiff will get all of Porter/Lee and do it without even really trying. Hell, he'll probably add more than 27% just from that.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Yeah, the much bigger issue is the impact on down ballots in swing districts.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
First numbers in. Schiff and then Garvey. Porter all way back at 15%

But at least won’t lose Porter in the house

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
at 48% votes counted:
Schiff: 33.2%
Garvey: 32.5%
Porter: 13.8%
. . .

If Schiff straight up wins the primary, he will stomp the general.