Rep. Steve King Posts Violent Meme About New Civil War

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Steve King, showing again why he is unfit for office? No way.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't clutch pearls over his delusions. I don't think red states are too eager to make war on the blue states that subsidize them. Besides, this attitude has been taken before by the 'conservatives,' with counter productive results. You'd think they'd remember, what with their fixation on statues from that time.

doo-have-to-come-down-there-again-18520544.png

These idiots can't even take over a Wildlife Refuge right. In the event they start acting like skinheads, I say we treat them like skinheads.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
im sure the local police in where ever a rebellion starts would put it down. The idea that the south would break away and conscript an army to fight against the north is just dumb.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
im sure the local police in where ever a rebellion starts would put it down. The idea that the south would break away and conscript an army to fight against the north is just dumb.

I'm sure they'll be able to manage about twice the people in their Charlottesville rally.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It is entirely accurate about King and his ilk and fair as "his kind" is superior. He makes about race and so the same measure is used against him.
So he should qualify the statement to specify which “white” people. His statement is no different than the “religion of peace” line whenever an Islamic militant gets all jihadi.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
You really are a babbling idiot and who the fuck is Miller?

Sorry, wrong racist, Meant King. As for the rest? It still applies, but I don't expect you to do anything other than you just did. Utterly predictable and untalented response on your part. Your betters will get it, which is pretty much everyone.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't find the post tasteful, but I'm really not troubled by it as everyone else seems to be. I think the background of real violence and real division centralized around Trump is what makes this potentially much worse. I guess I don't know enough about Steve King to understand if he really is vying for violent discourse.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't find the post tasteful, but I'm really not troubled by it as everyone else seems to be. I think the background of real violence and real division centralized around Trump is what makes this potentially much worse. I guess I don't know enough about Steve King to understand if he really is vying for violent discourse.

It's a matter of an elected official serving as a catalyst for violence. As a concrete example, I submit the Wannabebomber who idealized Trump with stickers on his van. As you know it is possible for a manipulative person to promote an agenda merely due to position and visibility.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Come to think of it, wouldn't folks like Steve King and his ilk be the biggest losers in a Civil War if it did happen?

Reactions: nickqt

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's a matter of an elected official serving as a catalyst for violence. As a concrete example, I submit the Wannabebomber who idealized Trump with stickers on his van. As you know it is possible for a manipulative person to promote an agenda merely due to position and visibility.

Is that what's actually happening? In another perspective, he's using a political cartoon to make light of political tension. Potentially a helpful thing to do.

All I'm saying is that it reads as the latter to me. I don't know him well enough to interpret differently.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So he should qualify the statement to specify which “white” people. His statement is no different than the “religion of peace” line whenever an Islamic militant gets all jihadi.

The original comment was "another violent white person".

It's important to understand that if the champions of any group preach stupid violent shit long enough then members of that group will obviously act on it. It's that lynch mob/ witch burning mentality. Conservatives are particularly susceptible to such manipulation. Steve King does it clumsily.

I mean, it's perfectly obvious that Trump does it a helluva lot better.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Is that what's actually happening? In another perspective, he's using a political cartoon to make light of political tension. Potentially a helpful thing to do.

All I'm saying is that it reads as the latter to me. I don't know him well enough to interpret differently.

"I wonder who would win?" with a wink is making light of the meme? LOL!!!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Your generosity is misplaced. Steve King is a right wing racist asshole, just this side of Richard Spencer & David Duke.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
I am not sure why folks think the fight would even be among states right now. Hell within MD right now, pretty much everything outside of Baltimore City and a couple metro counties is very red, but due to population numbers, the overall state usually goes blue. Note that we recently re-elected a red governor with very broad support.

Having lived and worked in various parts, the outlying areas hunt and shoot, and would be primary "army" for the state. But, if they went blue, it would be against most of their own interest. The metro folks might own a gun or two, but mostly live in the gun cabinets.

*Note, I am not buying into this whole issue, just pointing out that I wouldn't be expecting states to come together, when even within a state, there's going to be division. I don't think folks have a strong identity tie to their states like they seemed to 150+ years ago.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I am not sure why folks think the fight would even be among states right now. Hell within MD right now, pretty much everything outside of Baltimore City and a couple metro counties is very red, but due to population numbers, the overall state usually goes blue. Note that we recently re-elected a red governor with very broad support.

Having lived and worked in various parts, the outlying areas hunt and shoot, and would be primary "army" for the state. But, if they went blue, it would be against most of their own interest. The metro folks might own a gun or two, but mostly live in the gun cabinets.

*Note, I am not buying into this whole issue, just pointing out that I wouldn't be expecting states to come together, when even within a state, there's going to be division. I don't think folks have a strong identity tie to their states like they seemed to 150+ years ago.

Good point. I guess some redneck area could raid a city but then they would run into a couple swat teams. I dont see it happening.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We have 9000 cops in los angeles. They would need to come with some serious shit to invade the city. Can the national guard be called in to squash insurrection or is that against the constitution?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Come to think of it, wouldn't folks like Steve King and his ilk be the biggest losers in a Civil War if it did happen?

Anyone remember the devastation foretold if we got hit by an EMP attack?
I do.

Well.. it's the same principle. Violence and armed conflict would reduce our infrastructure to ash. Blocking the passage of goods and services. Not as immediately as an EMP, and some places might be left relatively unscathed in a war... but how many people do you think would be okay if Atlanta burned to the ground in the modern era? Now widen that concept to the nation at large.

The best parallel to provide an example of what we'd become is Aleppo, Mosul, and Raqqa. Dusty old bombed out husks. That would be our major cities. Supplies? Good luck receiving them or keeping them from others. Then a bit later, good luck producing them. Food, water and electricity are fragile systems today. There is no way in hell those systems survive conflict on the scale imagined.

There would be more Americans fleeing into Canada than the Canadian population. And those are the lucky ones.

Who loses? Everyone.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Reading up, he sounds like a downright awful dude. Amazing to me to see how much of that is around. Certainly not just a Trump phenomenon, although he's the first not to try and use plausible deniability.

Reactions: nickqt

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Anyone remember the devastation foretold if we got hit by an EMP attack?
I do.

Well.. it's the same principle. Violence and armed conflict would reduce our infrastructure to ash. Blocking the passage of goods and services. Not as immediately as an EMP, and some places might be left relatively unscathed in a war... but how many people do you think would be okay if Atlanta burned to the ground in the modern era? Now widen that concept to the nation at large.

The best parallel to provide an example of what we'd become is Aleppo, Mosul, and Raqqa. Dusty old bombed out husks. That would be our major cities. Supplies? Good luck receiving them or keeping them from others. Then a bit later, good luck producing them. Food, water and electricity are fragile systems today. There is no way in hell those systems survive conflict on the scale imagined.

There would be more Americans fleeing into Canada than the Canadian population. And those are the lucky ones.

Who loses? Everyone.
If another civil war did happen, what is stopping other nations from stepping in out of their own interest? Personally if this did occur I thinking we would end up being invaded to keep things from getting out of hand if nothing else.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Steve King, showing again why he is unfit for office? No way.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't clutch pearls over his delusions. I don't think red states are too eager to make war on the blue states that subsidize them. Besides, this attitude has been taken before by the 'conservatives,' with counter productive results. You'd think they'd remember, what with their fixation on statues from that time.

doo-have-to-come-down-there-again-18520544.png

These idiots can't even take over a Wildlife Refuge right. In the event they start acting like skinheads, I say we treat them like skinheads.

I like where this is going.

I think that all dismantled confederate statues, especially those in Georgia, should be replaced with statues of Sherman (maybe install the Union Colonel or General that commanded the army that defeated each confederate army in the respective towns where the confederates were slaughtered).

After all, Napoleon didn't construct all of those arches all over Europe after not-conquering everything. I don't know why southern snowflakes still think they should honor the embarrassing defeat of their treasonous leaders.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Reading up, he sounds like a downright awful dude. Amazing to me to see how much of that is around. Certainly not just a Trump phenomenon, although he's the first not to try and use plausible deniability.

They all use plausible deniability. Sometimes they go too far & become implausible. It's also important to realize that King need only retain plausibility in his very conservative, very rural & very white district in western Iowa. I figure a lot of them are getting sick of his shit, anyway.

https://ballotpedia.org/Iowa's_4th_Congressional_District_election,_2018

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If another civil war did happen, what is stopping other nations from stepping in out of their own interest? Personally if this did occur I thinking we would end up being invaded to keep things from getting out of hand if nothing else.

The US is basically invasion proof. It's geography.