Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
50 minutes of pure gold comedic material right there.

Edit: that sound you’re hearing is keyboards banging out jokes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
"I didn't need to do this" is going to feature rather prominently in the lawsuits against his emergency declaration.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Serious question if the cabinet could have snuck out of that presser and invoked the 25th Amendment before he was done speaking. I'm sure it crossed some minds.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
He's been on a down vote spree lately. It's all he can do at this point to save his sanity

That's why that new forum feature sucks. Should be positive reactions only or no karma bar.

Why get dinged bc some troll is having a meltdown?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Nice job. Mr. I Alone Bigly Tough Daddy Authoritarian 70 something year old man comes across as whiny entitled tweener.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I wonder what conservatives think about the executive branch of the federal government declaring a transparently fake emergency in order to fund his domestic spending priorities denied to him by Congress, seize land from American citizens, all to make something that won’t even work.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Honestly though, this is exactly how democracies die, presidential ones in particular. The executive get frustrated that the legislature won’t do what he wants so he creates a fake emergency to take additional powers.

Reactions: SMOGZINN

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I wonder what conservatives think about the executive branch of the federal government declaring a transparently fake emergency in order to fund his domestic spending priorities denied to him by Congress, seize land from American citizens, all to make something that won’t even work.

Oh this is even "better". Trump admitted he's getting money for what he wants, money for his agenda, but it wasn't as fast as he wanted so he went the Emperor route and went the Caesar route because what he wants is more important than everything else.

Golem may have slipped into the fires of Mt. Doom this time.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
McConnell looked extremely stressed.
I can't stand him but its hard to kick someone when they're down.
I can't imagine having to deal with this idiot, idiot Trump not idiot Mitch, that is.
I've taken my 4 year old niece to the market once in a while, so I know how stressful it can be to deal with a 4 year old.. Trump included.
I can see it happening, Mitch a nervous wreck and not at all happy about this national emergency thing yet Mitch had to also take into account Trump has that red button under his desk.
That red launch button.
So Mitch has to weigh the options.
A national emergency.... or nuclear war?
Nukes or emergency?
Emergency or nukes.
Poor Mitch. He pretends to be an ally to Trump but in private I can only imagine the cursing and throwing things around the room.

Mitch is about 90% responsible for the crap going on. I hope he gets a kidney stone the size of a ping pong ball.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh this is even "better". Trump admitted he's getting money for what he wants, money for his agenda, but it wasn't as fast as he wanted so he went the Emperor route and went the Caesar route because what he wants is more important than everything else.

Golem may have slipped into the fires of Mt. Doom this time.

I mean he wasn’t really getting money for what he wanted and everyone knows it. He’s feeling weak and impotent so he’s lashing out and trying to change that.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

They think it's great because Trump has the Magic R next to his name on the ballot.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's not a national emergency that we have criminals pouring in at the southern border (which we don't); it's a national emergency that Trump isn't getting what he wants. He's not fulfilling a campaign "promise" and it's an emergency because it's going to hurt him in 2020 if he doesn't appease his base.

What a disgrace. I sure hope the next democratic president declares climate change a national emergency. That may actually stick because it actually has a negative effect on us.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
As long as it is a republican, they are for it. If it had been King Obama, it would be time for a revolution.

Dec 10, 2005
As long as it is a republican, they are for it. If it had been King Obama, it would be time for a revolution.
Yep, they've been incredibly silent on abuses of executive power when it's an R. I doubt that Rs in Congress will ever remember that they are a separate and coequal branch of government, and not subservient to the president.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
They think it's great because Trump has the Magic R next to his name on the ballot.

Methinks a lot of folks who voted for Trump are now solidly fixed between that proverbial cold hard rock and that very icky unforgiving hard place.

On the one hand, they desperately want to believe and are resolutely standing by the notion that they were absolutely right to choose Trump as their leader yet on the other hand they are seeing Trump systematically attack their rule of law, their cherished constitution, our own intelligence agencies and justice dept. and lie and lie and lie his way into proving he's right about everything else he's been lying about.

In the real world being loyal has a limit where being loyal morphs into being stubbornly stupid and it doesn't take a bounding leap of faith to discern between the two.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
I like how Trump said they have so much money they don't know what to do with it. How about give it back to the people ?

I'm late on my property taxes. I've been involved in multiple lawsuits against my company and they keep getting a slap on the wrist. 4, 5 , 6 times..... I'm waiting on my current settlement and there seems to be nooooo rush at all with that.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What a fucking moron; this completely destroys his own case before he even makes it:

^ Cross posting to this topic.

And you know what? I love this scenario. Take it to court, use Trump's words - then convince his lawyers to declare Trump unfit to stand trial. Too incompetent, low IQ, however they wish to define it. He's not fit to have his word taken. "Save" the wall at the Court, but pave the way for the 25th.

Reactions: dank69 and yllus