Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Good news on the funding negotiation front. Trump has now said he won't accept anything on DACA... while still demanding his wall funding. In direct contradiction to his demand so publicly made a week ago.

Tell me again how this is the fault of the Democrats.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/31/trump-daca-border-wall-deal-1138318
Pelosi came out yesterday or early today to say DACA for Wall is a non-starter. This is Trump "getting out ahead of that in public opinion," at least in his mind. He is also apparently building himself a road to retreat on as he is now floating that "the Republicans and DHS are wasting their time negotiating with Democrats because they will not fund the wall that we so desperately need. He will get it done some other way." He stopped short of adding how tremendous the wall will be, believe me:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/president-trump-says-republicans-apos-134931721.html

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Dude must have one tremendously gaping asshole to be able to pull so many individual bullshit digits out of it at one time.

IDK. You know it must be accurate because none of the numbers are rounded. That means they counted very carefully.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Good news on the funding negotiation front. Trump has now said he won't accept anything on DACA... while still demanding his wall funding. In direct contradiction to his demand so publicly made a week ago.

Tell me again how this is the fault of the Democrats.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/31/trump-daca-border-wall-deal-1138318
I am starting to think that Trump does not actually want a wall, what he wants is to blame Democrats for not having a wall so that he can blame all of America's woes on it.

He's generating chaos as distraction from the Special Counsel investigation & rallying his base at the same time.

So, go for it, Donnie. Burn it down the best you can in the meanwhile.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well.... might as well fire up the old government shutdown thread in time for part II.

Occurred to me and so I ask, what is the difference between Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro withholding food and medical supplies from his people vs Donald Trump shutting down the government to force a campaign promise?
With both cases the people suffered.
And with both cases the stubborn president did not give a rats ass about the people.
And with both cases people were cut off from much needed food and supplies.
President Maduro chose to use blockades. Donald Trump chose to withhold paychecks.
In both cases, the people were denied access by the president of their respective country.

And that leaves me with this question...
WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH THESE DAMN DICTATORS?
Maybe, just maybe if the dictator quit taking out their frustrations on the people, just maybe the people would like their president.
Silly dictators..... but you got to love em.
Or, you starve and die. :oops:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
GOP wants the Dems to uncap the number of detention beds (I presume to infinite) which is probably not an attractive or even good idea to do.
It's very lucrative for the private prison industry. You'll be surprised to hear that the private prison industry bribes Republican politicians.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's very lucrative for the private prison industry. You'll be surprised to hear that the private prison industry bribes Republican politicians.

This would be...shocking.

I suspect the chief objection on the Dem side is the possibility of opening up camps that would house a theoretically unlimited number of people the government decided to put there.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I suspect the chief objection on the Dem side is the possibility of opening up camps that would house a theoretically unlimited number of people the government decided to put there.

Plus there is no good reason for Dems to concede on such a bad idea.

If Trump wants to light himself on fire again by shutting down the gov, then best step out of the way.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Reportedly congressional negotiators have a deal, no details yet.

Even money Trump finds some way to fuck this up.

We shall see. He pretty well cornered himself into declaring a national emergency & taking it to court. I'm sure the HOR will support whatever the Senate sends them & there won't be any Wall money. They sure as Hell won't run cover for Trump the way Ryan did. Maybe he'll listen this time when McConnell tells him it won't get any better.

Jan 25, 2011

As I understand it the reason for the cap is facilities are currently fly over crowded in situations they were never designed for. Full families imprisoned together etc...

They also hope the move will cause ICE around be a little more selective. Right now they are rounding up anyone they can find instead of the “criminals” they said would be the focus.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
There’s no deal until Trump says he’ll sign it. He won’t sign anything until he gets the OK from Coulter and Limbaugh. And besides, it has to go through this guy first.

ffc55af41f6635e52b839a114713f90f.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As I understand it the reason for the cap is facilities are currently fly over crowded in situations they were never designed for. Full families imprisoned together etc...

They also hope the move will cause ICE around be a little more selective. Right now they are rounding up anyone they can find instead of the “criminals” they said would be the focus.

Not to mention that they're fucking with people for no reason at all-

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigr...K52LB9uWkf4Bpv2J0DPHn0fluavSLVDsv3cIuBpjh581I

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It looks like Trump managed to get 300M LESS in border barrier money than the previous agreement congress had passed that he shitcanned. Lol.

His big dumb mouth will probably blow this up anyway.

Jan 25, 2011
Not to mention that they're fucking with people for no reason at all-

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigr...K52LB9uWkf4Bpv2J0DPHn0fluavSLVDsv3cIuBpjh581I
My god that’s horrible. People travelling 8 hours plus across multiple states for fake hearings in fear of losing their status.

However, systems weren't in place for ICE to see the court's schedule, so ICE apparently just made up dates instead. Immigrants were instructed to appear on weekends, midnight, and dates that didn't even exist, like Sept. 31, multiple attorneys told CBS News.

The problem became so widespreadthat immigration attorneys told CBS News that if they have a client with a hearing date on an NTA, they assume it's fake.

Jan 25, 2011
It looks like Trump managed to get 300M LESS in border barrier money than the previous agreement congress had passed that he shitcanned. Lol.

His big dumb mouth will probably blow this up anyway.
183 dimension chess man. Trust Q. Or whatever I don’t know I’m not a fucking lunatic.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

His big dumb mouth will probable blow this up anyway.

Actually, if Congress were to just pass a CR to keep govt funded for a year at current levels, they’d actually have more wall money than what’s in this deal. LOL.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is already getting shot at from the right a ton. Probably a repeat of last time.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
With friends like Hannity, Coulter & Limbaugh Trump doesn't need any enemies...

He has certainly painted himself in to a corner before on this. Kind of looking like it will happen again. I’d expect big time labor action if the government shuts down again even briefly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He has certainly painted himself in to a corner before on this. Kind of looking like it will happen again. I’d expect big time labor action if the government shuts down again even briefly.

Shutting down the IRS when millions of families are chomping at the bit to get their tax refunds is bound to be a big hit. Oh, yeh. Oh, Baby!

MAGA! is gonna mean "Make America Groan Again" before you know it.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The republicans love a government shutdown.
Fox, Hannity Coulter, Limbaugh, and trump.
That was the goal. That is what the base wanted.
They hate government, feel they don't need it, and most of all believe only non white minorities work those jobs, so F-em. Right?
Don't be surprised if Trump shoots down not only this agreement but ANY agreement.
I don't think Donald cares about a wall considering his business operations rely on the hiring of illegal immigrants. And if you visited the homes of Colter, Hannity or Limbaugh no doubt you'd find they enjoy their personal illegal gardening staff as well.
So they don't really want a wall. They want more government shutdowns.
Is it no secret how they openly feel about the government?
All one need do is listen to any one of Trump's many campaign speeches.
Shutting down the government "was" a campaign promise.

Mar 11, 2004
Shutting down the IRS when millions of families are chomping at the bit to get their tax refunds is bound to be a big hit. Oh, yeh. Oh, Baby!

MAGA! is gonna mean "Make America Groan Again" before you know it.

If it keeps up, it might start to mean "Make A Guillotine America" cause heads might start rolling.