Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Senate GOP is looking decidedly uneasy these days. At least a good dozen of them indicate they'd vote to fund the agencies individually as the House is about to vote on. As the real pain starts to hit in the next week that figure is very likely to increase and could reach the magic number for override.

Trump should cave and soon before the Dems start making their own immigration demands.

I fully expect that even Trump will cave and sign the unrelated funding bills next week. Him refusing to fund any agency until his wall is built, even when doing so is unnecessary to the wall funding, is not going to play well anywhere. I imagine that come this Friday or Monday Fox and Friends will tell him to sign the individual funding bills, leaving only DHS unfunded and that is when we will.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I fully expect that even Trump will cave and sign the unrelated funding bills next week. Him refusing to fund any agency until his wall is built, even when doing so is unnecessary to the wall funding, is not going to play well anywhere. I imagine that come this Friday or Monday Fox and Friends will tell him to sign the individual funding bills, leaving only DHS unfunded and that is when we will.

I'm skeptical that even leaving DHS out at this point would work. CBP and TSA are paid out of the DHS budget and there will be extremely visible problems (airports and all border crossings/ports)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
McConnell is laying back, watching Trump burn off political capital like it was going out of style. It's a dick move wrt the country, but Mitch DGAF. Trump double crossed him & is now on his own. Enjoy your ass-whupping, Mr President.

Good points. In addition (and this applies to all current national GOP elected officials)-Trump is carrying something like 80-90% of the GOP base and (for now) he can do no wrong with them. Any GOP that crosses Trump (or even in Trump's view doesn't support him 100%) will earn tons of wrathful tweets and the like from Trump. McConnell is running cover for every GOP senator that would vote in favor of the House bills.

I can understand what McConnell is doing, and this is the sort of thing a party leader is supposed to do. I don't like it, but I understand it.

My prediction is McConnell will let Trump twist in the wind for another few days then schedule the House bills for a vote (after privately warning Trump). Trump will rant some at McConnell but let it go. McConnell is just starting a six year term so even if he runs again Trump will be gone then.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Effectiveness of a border wall has been proven throughout centuries as a tried and true method of keeping invaders out. I don't suspect such painfully obvious solutions to parade across the minds of liberals so you get a pass on not thinking of it first. However after being educated on the topic you should feel ashamed for intentionally ignoring these millennia old facts just for politics.

BUT MAH POLITICAS!

Lol ever heard of a little wall called "The Great Wall of China"?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump shutdown staunching off farm bailout to help sector damaged by Trump tariffs. Governing is hard, exhibit 34512245.

Already reeling from tariff war, some farmers aren’t receiving government support checks amid shutdown

The government check hadn’t arrived, and John Boyd was out of seeds.

So he left his family farm here in southern Virginia on Tuesday and went to the local Farm Service Agency office, a last-ditch attempt to see if any essential personnel with the U.S. Department of Agriculture were still working. He was hoping they could help, even with the partial federal government shutdown stretching to its 19th day.

The Trump administration had promised to help farmers like Boyd, those who suffered as a result of the international trade war after Chinese purchases of soybeans — once 60 percent of the market — plummeted to next to nothing. With farmers on the edge of ruin, the U.S. government offered $12 billion in support since September, checks that had become a lifeline.

But with the government shutdown moving into its third week, Boyd was left waiting for his support check to arrive. Other farmers who still must have their crop totals approved by the government to receive aid were left with no way to apply for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...4787edde1b4_story.html?utm_term=.a38ebee93f10

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'm skeptical that even leaving DHS out at this point would work. CBP and TSA are paid out of the DHS budget and there will be extremely visible problems (airports and all border crossings/ports)

No, not funding DHS will cause all sorts of problems, but that is the point of all this. Trump and company is literally saying fund my wall or I make everyone suffer. It won't work if no one is suffering. They believe that conservatives will support them in this.

What I'm saying is that Trump and the GOP is going to quickly find that not signing those individual bills is indefensible, that it will be viewed even by conservatives as too much suffering because too much of it will land squarely on the backs of conservatives, and so will scale it back to just the DHS.

When they say they are okay with suffering to get their agenda passed, what they really mean is it is okay as long as it is mostly other people suffering.

EDIT: Also, it occurred to me that it is easier to walk back this terrible mistake by Trump in small steps instead of all at one time. So they will fund other agencies now, and then in a few weeks they will make some other concession, and then another after that until eventually they will be back to normal government operation without Trump ever having to admit defeat.

Reactions: Bitek

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Uglycassanova is one of those posters who are completely unaware of their own gullibility and stupidity. Amazingly, he loves to show everyone just how dumb he is on a nightly basis.
I disagree. I think UC knows exactly what he is doing and just likes to disrupt honest dialogue.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The claim isn't that stopping illegal entry is moot, it's that there is an obvious and massive preferential deployment in resources towards stopping those crossing the southern border as compared to the percentage of illegal immigrants that cross from there. People aren't saying 'don't police the border', they are saying 'why is 90% of our illegal immigration prevention money spent on 40% of illegal immigrants?'

I have no idea what percentage of people overstaying their visas are still living at the residence they listed on their visa when entering but I suspect the number is small. Hell, when I go to other countries I usually only have to list the first place I'm staying. As a totally legal visa holder I'm 'off the grid' in that respect in a matter of days.

Okay... but if we did, would you support the deportation of all visa overstays?

I'm not sure, probably not. It would depend on the circumstances.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Well, shit..the speech was a let down. I was expecting him to be holding a giant check from Mexico to pay for the wall. Even on Fox "News," someone said the emperor has no clothes. If it was such a crisis, why did he wait until Democrats took the House before he started making it out to be the biggest of all fucking deals? He had Paul Ryan, who would dutifully do his bidding and Mitch McConnell, who would burn the Constitution if he can keep confirming right wing judges. Now that he can be stopped, he brings it up. Wtf!

I like that they highlighted and zoomed in on the spikes, just to make sure everyone knew it was "hurty" enough. Wouldn't drug smugglers coming to the border just slip packages of heroin through the slats? Maybe each slat will be on a pivot and will have a sensor and a motor. Anyone approaches too close, the slats will swing shut like a Venetian blind.

The oft-repeated trope that illegal immigrants commit more crimes than Americans, which has been debunked several times, yet Trump and company continue to trot it out as an actual fact. Of the three+ years of the Trump candidacy/presidency, truly nothing deserved the "nothingburger" label more than that speech last night. A low-energy, unpersuasive whine from a man with zero credibility to speak on the issue other than the job he currently holds, if I were told this speech would convince me to keep working for free, effectively a GOP slave - I would call in sick today.

It turns out that his speech was fairly successful when it comes to what it really was-a campaign speech for his reelection campaign. Before the speech emails went out on to all his supporter on the mailing list insisting that he needed their monetary support immediately for The Wall, and immediately after the speech another mailing went out to those who didn't contribute saying that The President was willing to extend the deadline a few hours "for you"(actually, everyone that didn't give for the cause)...but the funny part about this is that the money didn't go to The Wall - it went to his reelection campaign. Link, and link. He conned the networks into running a campaign speech live.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think the answer to why this situation exists is simple. There are three players here:

1) Congressional Democrats - they think the wall is a stupid idea and therefore will not fund it unless they get concessions from the Republicans. (DACA fix, etc)
2) Congressional Republicans - they think the wall is a stupid idea and therefore will not give any concessions to get something they do not view as valuable.
3) Trump - has no understanding of the merits either way and probably doesn't care, is just looking for a symbolic win to make himself look good to his base.

So basically in Congress you have a situation where neither side is willing to negotiate to build the wall because neither side actually wants it. So Trump is shutting down the government until two people collectively decide to do something neither of them wants. This is a great recipe for nothing happening.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I guess inspecting the food supply in America isn't considered essential? Hoo boy. This might be a good time to invest in some U.S. stocks; if this goes on it's got to have some effect.

The furloughing of hundreds of Food and Drug Administration inspectors has sharply reduced inspections of the nation’s food supply — one of many repercussions of the partial government shutdown that make Americans potentially less safe.​
The agency, which oversees 80 percent of the food supply, has suspended all routine inspections of domestic food-processing facilities, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in an interview. He said he’s working on a plan to bring back inspectors as early as next week to resume inspections of high-risk facilities, which handle foods such as soft cheese or seafood, or have a history of problems.​
“We are doing what we can to mitigate any risk to consumers through the shutdown,” Gottlieb said.​
The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit advocacy group, described the reductions as unacceptable.​
“That puts our food supply at risk,” said Sarah Sorscher, deputy director of regulatory affairs at the group. “Regular inspections, which help stop foodborne illness before people get sick, are vital.”​
Foodborne illness is a major problem in the United States, sickening 48 million people each year and killing 3,000, estimates the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.​
Food inspections are just one of many public health and safety efforts that have been stopped or curtailed during the shutdown, now deep into its third week.​

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That's one way to cut regulation!

Simply never fund the executive agencies ever again. Conservative solutions delivering results.

There are going to be a LOT of surprised faces around the country when people start to realize what the government actually does.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I guess inspecting the food supply in America isn't considered essential? Hoo boy. This might be a good time to invest in some U.S. stocks; if this goes on it's got to have some effect.
Real patriots hunt their own food. Only city slickers (libs) use grocery stores. :D

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's one way to cut regulation!

Simply never fund the executive agencies ever again. Conservative solutions delivering results.

There are going to be a LOT of surprised faces around the country when people start to realize what the government actually does.

In some ways this could be a long term benefit for Democrats. The federal government screws up some things, sure, but in general it's just a background constant that people take for granted so they probably don't value it as they should. Maybe when people wake up to a world where it isn't there anymore they will realize why it's not such a bad thing after all.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You guys really do have this ~35% of your population that are dumber than a box of hammers.

I've traveled much of the world and most countries have a problem with people who:

- don't have a job
- don't want a job
- don't have a spouse/ significant other
- are uneducated by situation or by choice
- want to blame their problems on "others"
- want to lash out.

Reactions: ivwshane

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
trump just had another meeting with Congressional leaders. he asked Pelosi if she would fund his wall, she said no, and he walked out, end of meeting.

someone needs to check his diaper, i think it might be full.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
trump just had another meeting with Congressional leaders. he asked Pelosi if she would fund his wall, she said no, and he walked out, end of meeting.

someone needs to check his diaper, i think it might be full.

This is exactly what TDS (trump dick suckers) want, I'm sure they are loving it!