Remember that shutdown Trump WILL have?

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
LOL at the republican press conference and the republican congressman straight up lying, completely contradicted by trumps own tweet.

Reactions: Bitek

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It's funny, he needs the wall or his chance of re-election is DOA, Dems have to hold out on this. No wall under any circumstances and Trump is gone in 2020, unless Mueller has an air-tight case.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Republicans; compromise equals agreeing to republicans terms.

Fuck these traitors and all those that support them.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
GOP senators are eventually going to need to do a APB on Mitch McConnell and force him to actually govern.
This whole thing lands squarely on him and Trump.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I jokingly refer to him as the Toddler in Chief. But it's not really a joke any more. He has the coping and communication skills of a 4 year old. When your kid throws themselves on the floor at the grocery store throwing a tantrum about wanting candy...YOU DON'T GIVE THEM THE FUCKING CANDY.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I jokingly refer to him as the Toddler in Chief. But it's not really a joke any more. He has the coping and communication skills of a 4 year old. When your kid throws themselves on the floor at the grocery store throwing a tantrum about wanting candy...YOU DON'T GIVE THEM THE FUCKING CANDY.

His chief negotiating tactic was giving out candy! Lol

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well the next couple weeks should be REAL interesting I guess. Hoping that CBP Global Entry stays online for when I'm coming back into the country...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Well the next couple weeks should be REAL interesting I guess. Hoping that CBP Global Entry stays online for when I'm coming back into the country...
Lol, yeah...I have to fly through the US in mid-Feb...hope it's all fixed by then.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
According to aides to Schumer when asked why Trump wouldn’t reopen the government and stop hurting people he said ‘because then you won’t give me what I want.’

I hope now the people who didn’t realize it before understand why the Democrats can’t give in to this under any circumstances. Once he determines that he can get what he wants by taking hostages he will take hostages endlessly. He will keep taking bigger and bigger hostages until someday he miscalculates and crosses a line people won’t give in on. Then everything blows up.

In a sane world we would be holding impeachment hearings right now but absent that we will just have to count on congressional Democrats to protect the country from him.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Don't even joke about that. Being financially strapped has led to a lot of people being compromised over the years, I'm sure.
like trump since most US banks will not touch him he had to go overseas to get financing.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
OohBurn.gif

That’s awesome. :D

Although technically asking for money to help with bills from their parents is what one of our younger folks is planning to do.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So about that "very powerful" steel barrier...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

The Trump administration directed the construction of eight steel and concrete prototype walls that were built in Otay Mesa, California, just across the border from Tijuana, Mexico. Trump inspected the prototypes in March 2018. He has now settled on a steel slat, or steel bollard, design for the proposed border barrier additions. Steel bollard fencing has been used under previous administrations.

However, testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including the steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to an internal February 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection report.

A photo exclusively obtained by NBC News shows the results of the test after experts from the Marine Corps were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.

image.png

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So about that "very powerful" steel barrier...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856

Test of steel prototype for border wall showed it could be sawed through

View attachment 2326

Well of course it can, altho seems more trouble than just using a rope and ladder.

There is no barrier you could leave unattended and expect it to be effective.

We're not going to post guards and towers every mile along a 2000 mile border to watch it.

A most we're going to steal private land, cut ourselves off from the Rio grande, and waste money to create a speed bump to anyone determined to get through.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Well of course it can, altho seems more trouble than just using a rope and ladder.

We're not going to post guards and towers every mile along a 2000 mile border to watch it.

A most we're going to steal private land, cut ourselves off from the Rio grande, and waste money to create a speed bump to anyone determined to get through.

But we should give him the money because reasons.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017

This is part 1 in "why the wall is stupid."
Of course, the response is always "we'll have guards manning the wall."
The handy answer is then: "If you need guards, you don't need a wall."

The Dems are also rightly questioning the reason for the Wall to be discussed in the first place, namely the made-up "crisis" at the border. When people make shit up wholesale to justify something--thousands of terrorists have come across (actually 6); migrants riding mad max supercars (wtf)--there just MIGHT be reason to step back and question motives here.

Find any experts on the border that think there's a crisis involving bad guys pouring across the border where a wall would be. (There may be a crisis of our own making involving locking up refugees though.) I'll be waiting a while I think.

Reactions: Bitek

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Did...he think that would work?

Here is the interesting thing about this, he is claiming that this is part of his negotiation tactics from 'The Art of the Deal' but for that to be true then it would mean that he believes that Democrats need or want an end to this shutdown worse than he does. The 'just walk away' method only works if they believe they have more to lose from there not being a deal at all than you do. Since polling shows that the blame for this shutdown is squarely on Trump's shoulders, even among his fan base a good percentage acknowledge that he caused this, then the only reason Democrats would want an end to this more than him is because Democrats actually care about the American People and Trump does not.

That is the take away from Trump walking away from the table. Trump does not care about the harm he does as long as he gets his way.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

So far every barrier we've built just shifts the problem anyway. They've been dug under, gone over, shipped thru and around. Even maintaining what we've got now is basically pointless.

Seems like entering a Schengen like agreement with Mexico while improving their domestic security/crushing the cartels would be a more productive and humane way to resolve things. Deal with Central America by actually trying to improve it...anyway dealing with immigration on the southern Mexican border is a lot more manageable than ours.