Refurb: Netgear WPNT834-NAR RangeMax 240 Wireless Broadband Router

dehemke

Nov 17, 2004
Do I need special / new equipment on the receiving end to take advantage of this?

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: dehemke
Do I need special / new equipment on the receiving end to take advantage of this?

Only if you want to take advantage of the maximum 240 mbps. Otherwise, a b/g adapter will work, supposedly with better reception.

Dynamyck

Jan 16, 2007
I was in a Fry's B&M store the other day and they had literally cases and cases of these routers in an area to be stocked. I think the price was $54 in store so this is a pretty hot deal.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
For $36 it seems like a good deal so I bit. It sounds like it has much better router and wired performance than my old WGR614. I couldn't care less about wireless speed as I almost never turn the wireless on.

Maestro

Oct 11, 1999
I got one and a USB adapter - both came in brown boxes and serial numbers marked out with a sharpie. I can copy compressed files over wifi at around ~5MB per second through one wall 20 feet away. My old WGR614 router did ~2MB per second. Be aware that this router is not neighbor friendly.

Steve325

Aug 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Maestro
I got one and a USB adapter - both came in brown boxes and serial numbers marked out with a sharpie. I can copy compressed files over wifi at around ~5MB per second through one wall 20 feet away. My old WGR614 router did ~2MB per second. Be aware that this router is not neighbor friendly.

so it puts off a strong signal? I have a room outside of my main house I'm trying to get to and can't maintain a good signal

bf1942

Apr 14, 2004
I have been using my re-furb for several months now(same model)

It has been working well , with just the occasional need for a power reset.

very happy and I paid double the price.

good deal OP

you should get a stronger signal than you have now with this baby especially if you use the companion wireless NIC.
Pmcia card
USB version

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
Great price although I'm skeptical about it's performance. Newegg's review for last 3 months still have several rating of 1 or 2 (out of 5), includes it not working with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. Read through the reviews on newegg for some of problems. The ratings for last 6 months are not that great (70% for 4 & 5 and 30% for 1 & 2).

bf1942

Apr 14, 2004
I was thinking about the ratings also,

presumably the refurb adressed some sort of issue??

still the new levels of security encryption should make it an attractive upgrade for many people.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
new firmware has addressed the problem with 3945 chipset. (finally!) just ordered one along with a pccard.

docinthebox

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2000
This router has the exact same hardware as the Linksys WRV200 (Realtek RTL8651B CPU, 4MB flash, 32MB RAM) except for the WLAN chip (Airgo for Netgear and Ralink for Linksys). The Linksys sells for $73 at Amazon all the time, which just goes to show that the Netgear was overpriced to begin with. I've had the WRV200 for the past two months and wasn't impressed at all. It may be the Linksys firmware, I don't know, but performance wasn't that great. When I learned that dd-wrt v24 beta started supporting WRT350N, I sold the WRV200 as quickly as possible and got the WRT350N which I'm using right now and I'm very happy with.

tealk

Diamond Member
May 27, 2005
Linksys.....Blah...God forbid you ever have to call there support. OR even worse do an RMA...My God I still have a RMA from October that is still outstanding....They've shipped me back the wrong item 2 times already. All I can say is they SUCK A$$!

bf1942

Apr 14, 2004
Netgear is a more nimble, faster growing company,
and competes very well against linksys , especially since they were gobbled up by Cisco.

Expect faster responses and new products out quicker than the competition.

Netgear always seems to have somthing before the rest of the network hardware makers.
So it pays to upgrade your firmware, because somtimes the hardware comes out a little before it's ready.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I have a netgear router now I am always (almost every day) having to reset it and my DSL modem, its not this one but a super g one. Is it normal for these? I saw someone post above saying with the normal router rest its ok. I just bought a Linksystem because Im sick and tired of being booted off at times when my wife's computer when she turns hers on getting kicked off the internet (hard wired to the router) and the kids (wireless) is always going off and on and then at times boots us all off and I have to reset everything again, then the times it just goes off for the hell of it.

Is this a normal thing no matter what router brand or just a netgear thing or what? If its just my crappy router is going bad but a normal every now and then (2-3 times a month) have to reset no matter what I buy I may return the linksys I just got and get this for its $15 cheaper. But if this is a normal Netgear thing turn on a computer and it boots you off, or wieless just goes on and off as it pleases the Im glad I went with linksys. But if someone can give me a heads up that would be great.