Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Discussion - Releasing November 5th 2019

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The long wait is over, PC users will finally get to experience the greatest Western game ever released.

Official 4K Trailer

Minimum specifications:

Windows 7 - Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
Memory: 8GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB HDD
Space: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Recommended specifications:

Windows 10 - April 2018 Update (v1803)
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 12GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB HDD
Space: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Yeehaw!

Last edited:
Reactions: OCNewbie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't suppose this will find it's way into a Christmas sale this year, seeing as how steam will be getting it right at the same time?

I'll probably keep an eye on it for summer.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I don't suppose this will find it's way into a Christmas sale this year, seeing as how steam will be getting it right at the same time?

I'll probably keep an eye on it for summer.

This is one of those games where paying the full price is worth it. Rockstar games retain their base price for a long time, and the discount won't be a huge percentage either.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is one of those games where paying the full price is worth it. Rockstar games retain their base price for a long time, and the discount won't be a huge percentage either.

I don't doubt it, as I do like their GTA games (still haven't played 5--still don't own it). I'm thinking around that time it releases, I might have the time and want to get back into that type of world, sandbox game (but recently stalled in FarCry 5, so dunno about my stamina for that kind of game these days, heh). So, was thinking I'd either finally pick up GTA5 on one of its common sales of ~$15, or this one if it's in the $25 range. I'd rather the Western setting, so it'd be worth more to me.

Without the first, why should I care?

and that's the other question. I also never played the first, so wondering if it really matters? Is it a solid, serial story?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I don't doubt it, as I do like their GTA games (still haven't played 5--still don't own it). I'm thinking around that time it releases, I might have the time and want to get back into that type of world, sandbox game (but recently stalled in FarCry 5, so dunno about my stamina for that kind of game these days, heh). So, was thinking I'd either finally pick up GTA5 on one of its common sales of ~$15, or this one if it's in the $25 range. I'd rather the Western setting, so it'd be worth more to me.

and that's the other question. I also never played the first, so wondering if it really matters? Is it a solid, serial story?

Yeah I took a break from these type of huge open world games after Witcher 3.

These are the type of games you play once every 4 years, Cyberpunk looks to be the next after RDR2.

RDR2 is actually a prequel to the first game, so no need to play the first.

Maybe sometime down the line Rockstar remasters RDR and bring it to the PC as well.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah I took a break from these type of huge open world games after Witcher 3.

These are the type of games you play once every 4 years, Cyberpunk looks to be the next after RDR2.

RDR2 is actually a prequel to the first game, so no need to play the first.

Maybe sometime down the line Rockstar remasters RDR and bring it to the PC as well.

Cyberpunk: that's why I'm glad to see that RDR2 on PC is now official, with an actual date...but also don't really care. because Cyberpunk. I think that is April? so, far enough away from this release, for sure, but at the same time...I'm enjoying BL3 enough right now, and depending on their DLC and level release schedule, this actually may tide me over until then--certainly well through and after RDR2.

...I tend to play the hell out of Borderlands games, for many months, so this does look more like a ~Summer sale for me. Cyberpunk will be a day one or even pre-purchase for me (I think you can already pre-purchase on steam? I haven't...waiting to see if deals start popping up ahead of release, like they did with Witcher 3)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Definitely a double dip for me. I had been putting off playing again, in the hopes it would hit PC.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Been waiting for something different to play. Seems to fit the bill. Can't wait.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
For some reason I've never been able to get Rockstar games to click... Always did the cheat code, raise stars to Max, screw around and die thing a few times, then quit.

I really want to like RDR2 just because I love the western genre so much, but is it basically GTA in the wild west or is it something else?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For some reason I've never been able to get Rockstar games to click... Always did the cheat code, raise stars to Max, screw around and die thing a few times, then quit.

I really want to like RDR2 just because I love the western genre so much, but is it basically GTA in the wild west or is it something else?
It is and it isn't. It is all in how you approach it. Instead of doing story missions, once I had unlocked most of the cool stuff like fishing, I just explored and did my own thing for quite a while. It is a good time, fishing, robbing trains, hunting, getting in fights and duels, etc. A lot of the game play concepts are certainly still there. But the scenery is beautiful, and there are little things like camp chores, gambling, how town folk treat you when you are a dirty, stinky, bum, hence needing a bath. Getting a shave and haircut. Bonding with your horse. The need for disguises, and change of clothes, lots of little details like that. Some of the details are not just character customization for the sake of it, but actually effect interaction with NPCs. And no, I never noticed the horse's balls shrinking from the cold. :rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2009
It is and it isn't. It is all in how you approach it. Instead of doing story missions, once I had unlocked most of the cool stuff like fishing, I just explored and did my own thing for quite a while. It is a good time, fishing, robbing trains, hunting, getting in fights and duels, etc. A lot of the game play concepts are certainly still there. But the scenery is beautiful, and there are little things like camp chores, gambling, how town folk treat you when you are a dirty, stinky, bum, hence needing a bath. Getting a shave and haircut. Bonding with your horse. The need for disguises, and change of clothes, lots of little details like that. Some of the details are not just character customization for the sake of it, but actually effect interaction with NPCs. And no, I never noticed the horse's balls shrinking from the cold. :rolleyes:

You just got me interested.
No coop play correct?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Updated original post wiith machine specifications required.

Holy smokes 150GB!

This will be the new benchmark tool for GPU'S and CPU'S.

The game can now also be pre-ordered, two free games from R* back catalog and a bunch of bonuses for online, and additional single player missions as well.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You just got me interested.
No coop play correct?
Man, if this was co-op, it would rate a perfect score from me. Particularly if you could choose either BF or S.O. Then, near the end, make you duel each other to see who finishes the game. Could you gun down your girl/guy then have to deal with the aftermath IRL? o_O

Updated original post wiith machine specifications required.

Holy smokes 150GB!

This will be the new benchmark tool for GPU'S and CPU'S.

The game can now also be pre-ordered, two free games from R* back catalog and a bunch of bonuses for online, and additional single player missions as well.
Done deal, thanks! And I agree about it being one of the most used benchmark tools. I made a similar comment months back in the console thread.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
How will this thing play on a mouse/keyboard?
This is the type of game where it should be better than a controller. Riding a horse, coach, wagon v driving a car, and mouse is obviously better for shooting than dual analogs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is the type of game where it should be better than a controller. Riding a horse, coach, wagon v driving a car, and mouse is obviously better for shooting than dual analogs.

games like this, I often find myself switching to a controller for car or vehicle stuff, especially if shooting is also a thing. granted, I always hate shooting from controller analogue sticks, but I find vehicle play annoying with kb/m...but I guess that depends on the play. Most simple car stuff is fine, but games like GTA and Just Cause, when planes are involved, I find more or less impossible to control with kb/m

Reactions: BudAshes

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Yeah I was thinking this the only part I was unsure of is the whole horseback thing. Driving type games are usually rough on a mouse/keyboard.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Being I have played this 6 times through on the PS4 (Still playing it for fun, IE, all missions done and I am just going around shooting and stuff) I preordered on PC. Can't wait. Love open world games and want to see this on PC in 4K and HDR.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Horse riding in Witcher 3 didn't bother me with K/M, so it should be good I hope.

yeah, shouldn't be a problem at all. I think I actually went kb/m on one playthrough, and gamepad on another for W3, and didn't feel like anything was lost with either. W3 is kinda actiony with the combat, but it's not as complicated as games like the Batman (and clones) type of games, which I prefer to use gamepads.

I always found driving and shooting in games like GTA to be difficult with kb/m, but mainly because of trying to shoot at the same time. Otherwise, no biggie. ...planes though. ugh.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

RDR2 is a prequel to RDR1. So while having some knowledge of RDR1 will help you "put the pieces together" for RDR1, knowledges of RDR1 is entirely unnecessary to enjoy the story.

RDR2 is an absolute masterpiece. It sets a completely new bar when it comes to open world games, voice acting, video game story telling, and music. I mean c'mon - Rockstar animated the testicles of the horses so that they have physics and react to weather. Buy it for the animated horse nuts!

• Haha
Reactions: Elfear and Oyeve