Recommend me some newer games...please.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Now that I once again own a fairly decent gaming machine, (i-7 9700K, RTX 2070) it's time for some games...

My preference is single-player, FPS. I don't care if the game has multi-player, as long as it has a GOOD single-player mode.
In the past, my favorites were:
Half-Life 2
Call of Duty 2
Battlefield 2
Wolfenstein (I've played all through The New Order)

(hmm...anyone else seeing a trend?) :cool:

No MMORPG, strategy, or role-playing stuff.

So far, under consideration are:
Continuing the Wolfenstein games, (old blood and young bloods)
More of the Battlefield series
Half-Life 3 (damn, I wish) :mad:
Metro Exodus
The new Tomb Raider (?) third-person? Not crazy about that perspective.
More of the Call of Duty series

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

edit:
So far,, I've picked up the following:

Metro Exodus. Not bad, but game play seems clunky. As mentioned later in this thread, possibly designed for play with a gamepad instead of keyboard/mouse

Hard Reset and HR Redux. (Steam) Fun as hell. Mostly just mindless killing. We'll see if there's more.

Origin Basic subscription
  1. Battlefield 4 and add-ons So far, OK. Still trying to figure things out.
  2. Battlefield 1 (not terrible)
  3. A couple of Star Wars games
  4. Titanfall 1 and 2.
Most are OK. None "great," worth buying the stand-alone versions, but still...fun for now.

Last edited:

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
If you can stomach 3rd person, The division 2 is quite good, though that may have too many RPG elements for you. I have trouble recommending Destiny or it's sequel, because I found it to be droll. You could give Titanfall 2 a whirl, though you'd have to DL origin for it but the single player campaign is quite good as is the gun play and movement mechanics.

Baring that Apex legends is cheap as free if you want something more multiplayer.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The latest Doom would make sense, would Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey be good for you? Is the Unreal Tournament Series still good? Personal pick: Serious Sam. Just plain fun single-player FPS.

PajamaParty

Mar 22, 2019
Same as Craig234, I'd recommend the newest Doom (from 2016) and Serious Sam franchise. Both FPS and both really fun. Also, be on the lookout for the new Doom Eternal which is yet to be released.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I think I have the Serious Sam games (1 &2) from...10-15 years ago. They were just mindless killing fun. Are the Assassins Creed games fps shooters? I thought they were 3rd person,

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The Serious Sam series I think has 3 games, with remastered and VR versions that get low prices in Steam sales.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So...anyone know of any cheap(er) options for buying the games above? I almost choked when I saw Metro Exodus for $70-something. o_O
My new PC doesn't have a built-in optical drive...but I did pick up an external optical drive enclosure to load some of my older stuff...now to get those games functioning in Windows 10...:confused:

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
I enjoyed FarCry 1 and 3. I just picked up FarCry 5 but haven't played it yet. The Crysis games were a bit of a gameplay disappointment for me. I actually enjoyed the single-player campaigns in the Battlefield games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think I have the Serious Sam games (1 &2) from...10-15 years ago. They were just mindless killing fun. Are the Assassins Creed games fps shooters? I thought they were 3rd person,

THey are 3rd person, and so are the newer Tomb Raider games. They are sort of actiony games that are oriented more towards game pads and not precise keyboard aiming. They're pretty good, but doesn't sound like your cup of tea (er, metamucil)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've been looking at that one. i have the original Far Cry from...2003? Fun as hell.

you might like those. There are some gearing/RPGish elements, but it's more just tasks and things to do, weapon and skill upgrades or whatever.

But I imagine you might enjoy shooting up a colony of extreme fundy cultists in the Montana wilderness.

Reactions: esquared

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It's not new, but Hard Reset is one of my favorite FPS. It can be had for really cheap these days.

I also agree...Serious Same 3 BFE is another solid choice. Older, but great.

Reactions: DigDog and bigi

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
GTAV. Yes, its older but has very excellent graphics setting for current systems. It can bring your system to a mediocre 30fps if you tweak it to the max.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
THey are 3rd person, and so are the newer Tomb Raider games. They are sort of actiony games that are oriented more towards game pads and not precise keyboard aiming. They're pretty good, but doesn't sound like your cup of tea (er, metamucil)

aac.gif
abh.gif

you might like those. There are some gearing/RPGish elements, but it's more just tasks and things to do, weapon and skill upgrades or whatever.

But I imagine you might enjoy shooting up a colony of extreme fundy cultists in the Montana wilderness.

Hell, sign me up!
abi.gif

Not sure the new Tomb Raider series would be a good fit.

yeah, I'm not sure either. I wasn't crazy about the earlier generations of the franchise.

If you get the origin basic subscription it's like 30 bucks a year and you get access to all kinds of stuff you can try out. Keep it for a year and play everything you want and then dump it next year. Here is the list of the games which is kind of insane in terms of the amount of them: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/browse?fq=subscriptionGroup:vault-games&sort=rank desc
I've been considering just that. I have a group of games in their "wishlist" for the current sale anyway.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You mentioned Borderlands in the other thread. Those are great and one of my favorite franchises. If you don't mind the art style, or at least can get used it. The FoV is a little weird for hardcore FPS types. It can be very grindy if you want it to be, but otherwise it doesn't have to be. Game sort of requires many playthroughs to get your character up there

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
isthereanydeal.com is one good resource. Steam sale in June I think.

To add to this, ITAD will also let you set a wishlist, and they'll email you any time a game on your list goes on sale. I have mine set up to automatically import games from my Steam wishlist.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Doesn't Serious Sam have first person and third person (what is second person)

2nd person = you. ...you are the character--say, the book is narrated from your perspective. Not sure that exists in a game. Calvino wrote a book in the 2nd person once.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
All of the new series of Tomb Raider games. Excellent action - you just have to overlook the "daddy" issues in the storyline. Oh, and that she's become a mass murderer. lol. Seriously - get an Xbox One controller if you haven't got one now and enjoy these games.

Also check Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Looks really sweet with all the goodies cranked up!

Dying Light is a really good game as well once you get past the low level you start at and begin building your stats.

Last edited: