Recommend me some newer games...please.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Quake and DOOM series. Most of the ones with SP will be a bit older, but Quake 2 had a great campaign, and Quake Champions is a lot of fun in multiplayer once you get into it. I would also check out the many different DOOM mods and wads, though most will be older, there are still new ones coming out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Quake and DOOM series. Most of the ones with SP will be a bit older, but Quake 2 had a great campaign, and Quake Champions is a lot of fun in multiplayer once you get into it. I would also check out the many different DOOM mods and wads, though most will be older, there are still new ones coming out.

I loved the original Quake and Quake II. I have the CD for Quake II sitting on my desk waiting for the nVidia Ray Tracing version to be released next week...

Early versions of Doom were good...hella good. I tried the version that came out ~15 years ago. It was OK, but just OK.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I didn't care for the last one, but man I hope the new one is as good as it looks.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I didn't care for the last one, but man I hope the new one is as good as it looks.

I still haven't played "Doom 2016" or whatever it's called, but most people generally like it, right? If anything, it performs well across nearly all platforms and capabilities and looks very very good, right? I like that it is almost always on sale for $15 or less somewhere. For whatever reason, still haven't bought it. I guess I keep telling myself that all those sales mean is that it will eventually be $5.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I still haven't played "Doom 2016" or whatever it's called, but most people generally like it, right? If anything, it performs well across nearly all platforms and capabilities and looks very very good, right? I like that it is almost always on sale for $15 or less somewhere. For whatever reason, still haven't bought it. I guess I keep telling myself that all those sales mean is that it will eventually be $5.
I had the new Wolfenstein trilogy on my wishlist but I been told DOOM was better so it seems this summer sale, I'll pick that up.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Most people really liked it. I can't really point to a specific reason I didn't care for it other than the majority of my doom and quake experience was multiplayer only. I really never played the single player games.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Doom 2016 runs well and and has great graphics. I don't care for the mosh pit style combat. One travels around encountering a monster here and there. Then one triggers the fight scene, all the doors lock, and a bajillion monsters teleport in and one has to kill them all to get the doors to open again. Rinse, repeat. Oh, and you can't save when you want to so if you get killed in a mosh pit, you have to start it over again.

Wolfenstein is uneven but worth playing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Doom 2016 runs well and and has great graphics. I don't care for the mosh pit style combat. One travels around encountering a monster here and there. Then one triggers the fight scene, all the doors lock, and a bajillion monsters teleport in and one has to kill them all to get the doors to open again. Rinse, repeat. Oh, and you can't save when you want to so if you get killed in a mosh pit, you have to start it over again.

Oh. I hate that.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Wolfenstein is uneven but worth playing.
Well, dammit. I'm glad I read this, because I was planning to buy it at the $5 point, but this does not appeal to me. Maybe I will go for Wolfenstein instead.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Updated my OP.

So far,, I've picked up the following:

Metro Exodus. Not bad, but game play seems clunky. As mentioned later in this thread, possibly designed for play with a gamepad instead of keyboard/mouse

Hard Reset and HR Redux. (Steam) Fun as hell. Mostly just mindless killing. We'll see if there's more.
Edit: Picked up Borderlands-The Handsome Collection on GreenMan Gaming for $3.00 Fun. I don't think I'd have been willing to pay full retail for it, but for the price...I think I got my money's worth.

Origin Basic subscription
  1. Battlefield 4 and add-ons So far, OK. Still trying to figure things out.
  2. Battlefield 1 (not terrible)
  3. A couple of Star Wars games
  4. Titanfall 1 and 2.
Most are OK. None "great," worth buying the stand-alone versions, but still...fun for now.

Oh...and I reinstalled Quake II after more than 15 years, just to take advantage of the nVidia RTX version available. If you don't own the game, you can download three levels. If you DO own the game, you can get the entire game with the updated graphics and add-ons. (doesn't change game play, but looks hella nice.)

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Not sure where you saw Metro Exodus for $70+ but if you use Cheap Shark you can set an alert for when it reaches a particular amount you set. I got it from the Epic store when they had a sale recently.

Edit: Oops hadn't read far enough that you already got Metro. Cheap Shark is still a good resource though.

Last edited:

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
All of the new series of Tomb Raider games. Excellent action - you just have to overlook the "daddy" issues in the storyline. Oh, and that she's become a mass murderer. lol. Seriously - get an Xbox One controller if you haven't got one now and enjoy these games.

Also check Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Looks really sweet with all the goodies cranked up!

Dying Light is a really good game as well once you get past the low level you start at and begin building your stats.
I liked the Tomb Raider games. However, the latest one, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, hasn't caught my interest. Just seems like each game gets more into platforming and crafting and less into combat. Hope that changes in Shadow, but so far I am maybe 1/4 of the way through, and it has mostly been just exploration. Combat seems like an afterthought.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
So far, I've picked up Metro Exodus, (looks nice, gameplay seems...klunky) and signed up for Origin's basic vault. That gives me access to 195 games I'll never even consider, and a handful I've wanted to try.
Still undecided about CoD WWII. Mixed reviews on the single player campaign.
Personally, I dont play online, but liked the single player. Best campaign IMO since COD:MW (the original one, not the increasingly more absurd sequels). WWII does have a couple of extremely annoying QTEs however.