Ray Tracing’s A Game Changer ,Call of Duty: Modern Warfare , and RTX review for "Control" ,Minecraft NEW Ray Tracing RTX Mode Hands-On And Tested

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
quote from the article from Call of Duty.
"Before we talk about the actual gameplay, I want to say a little about RTX. It’s brilliant. I’ve seen it in action, live, on a few titles this week and when utilised correctly, it truly can be a game-changer on the aesthetic side of things. Little aspects that one wouldn’t normally pay much attention to, like shell casings on the floor, now have more of a depth and feel to them as the game actually shows their shadows. Reflections in water show so much more of the world which, before, for all intents and purposes didn’t exist since you weren’t looking at it. Color me impressed, then reflect me with you RTX magic, Modern Warfare."

https://wccftech.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-preview/

Quote from the game "Control"

"
Quote.
"
Northlight Storytelling Engine has been updated specifically with DXR in mind and it shows in this game. Not only does Control have support for RTX functions it’s one of the first games to put more than one feature along with DLSS to the task. Remedy and NVIDIA have several on the move here that all meet up to have a very worthwhile improvement on the game.

Opaque Reflections, Transparent Reflections, Contact Shadows, and Indirect Diffuse all combine in a way that makes the world come to life and look more like a movie than what a video game traditionally looks like. And thanks to the almost grainy look of the game we’re able to implement the use of NVIDIA’s DLSS and the image stays intact without much scrutiny while bringing the performance back up to a very smooth level across the board"
https://wccftech.com/control-pc-performance-explored-all-in-on-rtx/3/

I may actually build a new computer for these games, to try Ray Tracing ,and a shiny new RTX2070S.

Confirmed ray tracing games:

Confirmed DLSS games:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/19/nvidia-rtx-ray-tracing-dlss-games-confirmed-3/

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
let me know when it can be enabled on resolutions above 1080p; then I'll get hyped.

TypoFairy©

Jul 29, 2003
I remember being told some debris added by physx in unreal tournament and some sheets tearing in mirrors edge were game changing only to be largely disappointed by that feature.
My days of being a beta tester are over. I'll jump on board when it's mainstream. Hopefully hdr 600 or better screens will also be mainstream by then as i would like to enjoy my new age lighting effects in all their glory.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Then do it. It seems like it would get boring digging for dirt on the company you despise, while searching for things to praise with the ones you love. Maybe you could just game and be happy?
That is one way of saying to somebody to "shut redacted up" :D.

No profanity in tech. Not even when using asterisks for characters.
Find another way to express yourself in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

esquared

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kawi6rr

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I remember being told some debris added by physx in unreal tournament and some sheets tearing in mirrors edge were game changing only to be largely disappointed by that feature.
My days of being a beta tester are over. I'll jump on board when it's mainstream. Hopefully hdr 600 or better screens will also be mainstream by then as i would like to enjoy my new age lighting effects in all their glory.

- I couldn't agree with this more. In fact, I've been doing a lot of patient gaming on my 980ti (it's nice to 4x SSAA a game and still pull 60+ FPS) and for sniffs and giggles I'll enable hardware physx (although it can involve some driver juggling to get working properly) just to see "what I missed" (I was rocking a 7950 during Physx heydey) and let me tell you, it ain't much.

And for what you get, the performance hit, most notably the frame times, are attrocious. The game will tell you that you're pumping out triple digit frames, but there is just this slight microstutter that sucks the fun out of playing anything. On almost everything I ran with Physx (Arkham games, Mirrors Edge leap to mind) I shortly disabled Physx and never looked back. Haven't wasted my time since.

RTX/Hybrid RT has a lot of potential, but I'll wait till it's fully baked before I jump on the hype train.

Reactions: guachi

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
The features RTX touts aren't even evolutionary. We've had dynamic global illumination since Crysis 2, we've had indirect lighting since 2009, and dynamic reflections have been doable since ever. Hell, even the Wii was able to generate reflections for objects by re-rendering the entire scene every frame, and mapping it to a cube map, in the game Dekotora National Festival. With Vulkan and D3D 12, they've also been very low in performance impact

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Then do it. It seems like it would get boring digging for dirt on the company you despise, while searching for things to praise with the ones you love. Maybe you could just game and be happy?
I dont game. And I'm very happy.
But I like to keep on topic.
Nothing productive to add to the thread then leave, take glo with you.
In my opinion your both worthless and add nothing but trolling ,cheerleading to every thread you enter.

Try that again and see how far you get. You have crossed the line of civility
I already explained to you in a PM.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Alright guys lets take a step back and chill a bit.

On topic, I am kinda looking forward to this MW, I hope the game play is good. I am not really concerned for the RT tech, but more for the fact I can pwn some console players with my mouse and keyboard :D (supposedly MP will be crossplatform)

Reactions: coercitiv

JustMe21

Sep 8, 2011
Ray tracing will be excellent when it has very little impact on performance, so I'm hoping we see massive performance improvements within a few generations. I just hope it doesn't fade into obscurity before it can attain that performance level.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Ray tracing will be excellent when it has very little impact on performance, so I'm hoping we see massive performance improvements within a few generations. I just hope it doesn't fade into obscurity before it can attain that performance level.
Gotta remember it's not an on/off thing, you can ray trace just specific things and/or increase the number of bounces for better fidelity. To ray trace like a pixar movie is a long way away.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Not all RT implementations are equal, ie, global illumination, path tracing, shadows, differing scene complexities, number of rays/bounces, etc. So impressions of RT should vary depending games implementation of it. As an RTX owner, not impressed with RT in its current stage due to the massive performance penalty. Would prefer other methods that are not as computationally intensive, yet can still look very good, almost as if some ray tracing was involved. No ray tracing in the car reflections here:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Not all RT implementations are equal, ie, global illumination, path tracing, shadows, differing scene complexities, number of rays/bounces, etc. So impressions of RT should vary depending games implementation of it. As an RTX owner, not impressed with RT in its current stage due to the massive performance penalty. Would prefer other methods that are not as computationally intensive, yet can still look very good, almost as if some ray tracing was involved.
True Ray Tracing always will be so demanding. RT in current state is not impressive, at all, because of the state of hardware and software. Devs have to sacrifice something, right now. Be it better fidelity of RT, or performance. With time, it will become a must have, but right now, it is a gimmick. But also with time, the performance fall off and complexity of Ray Tracing will make current hardware completely useless. Regardless of brand.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Arguably the best thing about ray tracing, angry fanboy cheerleaders can't do anything to stop it. Everyone who works in graphics knows it fundamentally changes the game and is a massive leap in visual fidelity.

Right now, today, the eighth fastest ray tracing graphics card is pushing ray tracing at 1080p 60Hz, the eighth fastest. It's here, is a staggering leap in visuals when done properly and is playable on cards that are flirting with $300.

Sadly we have very angry trolls trashing it at every opportunity, they lie and spread misinformation, they've gone so far as to claim nVidia bribed Microsoft to support their own standard in their own game, it's insane.

Intel has already come on board, they spent billions trying to do it a decade ago and just couldn't get it done. Now we have it, it's here, and there's nothing angry little trolls can do to stop it.

What happens if six months down the line AMD offers a part that is slightly slower than the 2060 in traditional rendering, but is 20% faster than the 2060 at ray tracing for $179? The trolls are painting themselves into an insanely idealistic and narrow box.

You cannot call the other side, trolls and fanboys. These words are not allowed in tech Period. Ever.
Try and find less provocative words to make your point.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Reactions: Muhammed

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Not really... the only ones stating it's an absolute game-changer is NVIDIA and a small handful of devs. Everyone else, who isn't totally delusional or trying to justify the cost of adopting a high end feature in its infancy, thinks it's just alright. I wont dismiss it completely of course, because any advancement or breakthrough tech is interesting to me, but for the time being the limitations and cost FAR outweigh the return if you ask me.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I dont game. And I'm very happy.
But I like to keep on topic.
Nothing productive to add to the thread then leave, take glo with you.
In my opinion your both worthless and add nothing but trolling ,cheerleading to every thread you enter.

Not that I should really bother, but it really sounds funny coming from somebody in the stands waiving his/her pompoms!

You might not game, but you do play games.

I welcome all members to view my profile and take a peek and my posting history. I'm not the one hiding behind a profile.

If I made the post I quoted you would have reported it as a personal attack/member call out, etc.

On topic:
What happens if six months down the line AMD offers a part that is slightly slower than the 2060 in traditional rendering, but is 20% faster than the 2060 at ray tracing for $179? The trolls are painting themselves into an insanely idealistic and narrow box.

That sounds somewhat unrealistic don't you think? Why would AMD undercut by such a huge margin if the performance was similar? The end result would be Nvidia drops prices and their faithful followers get a better deal.

The major complaint looks to be it's currently not worth the performance hit. Complaint come from both sides of the camp, so I don't think it's just a anti Nvidia thing in the end.

I'd imagine AMD would go the cpu/gpu way once they decide to implement their own solution. Do your really thing they don't have plans for all those cores?

Most importantly calling other members cheerleaders, fanboy's, trolls isn't really what's gonna inspire a decent conversation.

If other end users don't feel like ray tracing is currently a must have, game changer, best thing since sliced bread, that doesn't make them a troll, fanboy, nor a cheerleader....You know what they say " It takes one to know one ".

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Intel literally spent billions on ray tracing because of how fundamentally game changing it is, they failed but they saw it as important enough to spend billions. This isn't just nVidia.

Microsoft created a standard, made it a part of their API and demanded hardware support for their next console. This isn't just nVidia.

Sony had Polyphony create a proof of concept, then demanded hardware support for their console. This isn't just nVidia.

Imagination technologies, the Power VR boys showed off a mobile ray tracing part a few years back. It was about 10% of the 2060s speed but they saw the importance one could argue well ahead of everyone outside of Intel. This isn't just nVidia.

The only major gaming hardware company that hasn't announced hardware level support at some point so far is Nintendo, and right now they are hand-held only. This isn't just nVidia.

Saying the cost is too high for you ATM I can understand. The benefit in certain situations is huge right now, even on entry level hardware. Outside of the Voodoo 1, I can't recall ever seeing a major technology adopted so quickly so broadly in the gaming market.

Going CPU/GPU for ray tracing.... We've been using CPU ray tracing for years-

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/9

That's the Ryzen 3900 hitting 6.8 million rays per second, legit that's really good for a CPU. The 2060 does 5,000 million rays per second. 100 $500 Ryzen CPUs would lose to a card flirting with $300. Unless we are talking about thousands of cores, CPUs aren't doing squat for this particular task.

As far as calling other members trolls, they keep telling lies about how unplayable DXR is despite repeatedly being shown how even an entry level card can handle it at playable speeds at the most common resolution even in the most visually demanding game out. They are trying to claim nVidia bribed Microsoft to add ray tracing to Minecraft, they are coming up with shrill fallacies to advance their extremely dishonest assertions despite being shown, repeatedly, that they are factually wrong.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Intel literally spent billions on ray tracing because of how fundamentally game changing it is, they failed but they saw it as important enough to spend billions. This isn't just nVidia.

Microsoft created a standard, made it a part of their API and demanded hardware support for their next console. This isn't just nVidia.

Sony had Polyphony create a proof of concept, then demanded hardware support for their console. This isn't just nVidia.

Imagination technologies, the Power VR boys showed off a mobile ray tracing part a few years back. It was about 10% of the 2060s speed but they saw the importance one could argue well ahead of everyone outside of Intel. This isn't just nVidia.

The only major gaming hardware company that hasn't announced hardware level support at some point so far is Nintendo, and right now they are hand-held only. This isn't just nVidia.

Saying the cost is too high for you ATM I can understand. The benefit in certain situations is huge right now, even on entry level hardware. Outside of the Voodoo 1, I can't recall ever seeing a major technology adopted so quickly so broadly in the gaming market.

Going CPU/GPU for ray tracing.... We've been using CPU ray tracing for years-

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/9

That's the Ryzen 3900 hitting 6.8 million rays per second, legit that's really good for a CPU. The 2060 does 5,000 million rays per second. 100 $500 Ryzen CPUs would lose to a card flirting with $300. Unless we are talking about thousands of cores, CPUs aren't doing squat for this particular task.

As far as calling other members trolls, they keep telling lies about how unplayable DXR is despite repeatedly being shown how even an entry level card can handle it at playable speeds at the most common resolution even in the most visually demanding game out. They are trying to claim nVidia bribed Microsoft to add ray tracing to Minecraft, they are coming up with shrill fallacies to advance their extremely dishonest assertions despite being shown, repeatedly, that they are factually wrong.
I would never, ever, ever, use the example of Intel spending money on a tech to justify its worth or future success.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I brought up Intel in response to the comment that only nVidia and a handful of devs thought it was game changing right now. Obviously that's comically inaccurate.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I think NV's next series of cards are going to be a huge leap in performance as far as RTX is concerned. Right now, NV has the mix of RT cores way too low as a portion of die space, because they know that their cards still need to perform in standard Raster workloads.

As RTX becomes more established, I can see NV moving from 3% die space to 6% or 9% die space dedicated to RT cores. You have to walk before you can run, and NV is walking right now.

In the end, I see RT as a winning tech because it has the potential to vastly improve IQ on monitor hardware you already own (Same reason I love SSAA). If this works out properly, I should be able to get fluid RT performance for $300 on 1080p before I get fluid 8k or 4k performance for $300.

The RTX 2xxx series just isn't there yet. I'll have no qualms picked up a current gen RTX card used when the next gen drops.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
True Ray Tracing always will be so demanding. RT in current state is not impressive, at all, because of the state of hardware and software. Devs have to sacrifice something, right now. Be it better fidelity of RT, or performance. With time, it will become a must have, but right now, it is a gimmick. But also with time, the performance fall off and complexity of Ray Tracing will make current hardware completely useless. Regardless of brand.

Part of the problem is pre-existing game engine structures - it would seem that CryEngine for once has a home court advantage for RT with its highly developed SVOGI implementation already showing promise on a Vega 56. That will only get faster with better cards and adding DXR or Vulkan RT support.

Time will tell if other engines can catch up in efficiency, though I'd say it's fairly likely for at least Unreal and Unity.

As for myself, I'm inclined to wait for the standardised Vulkan RT extension which will likely land next year along with Navi 2x.

Very likely that extension will become part of Vulkan 2.0, if RT isn't enough to justify that major uptick in version then likely nothing is.

Reactions: Glo.