[rant] stupid ATTBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
If you called up AT&T Broadband, you wouldn't be able to find me. They wouldn't be able to find me either, unless they were looking in a specific place. And that's only for tracking down fraud -which they're not going to do on a whim or to find someone and fire them for saying that hey works for ATTBI (and not the company he really works for) and who helps those with ATTBI who need it.

nik

See, that is because you are smart, not stupid like me. I assumed that the world is generaly a good place, and had my correct name in my profile. But who cares? This thread is about nik's problems, can we get back to nik now? :p

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
lol :) I've not breached my contract in any way. They can't (wouln't) fire me anyway.

nik

That is EXACTLY what I thought. I was 100% suree that it was impossable to fire me. The department I worked in would have gone straight down the tubes if I left, the managers loved me, I had no enemys, ect. I was then fired, and my department DID go straight down the tubes ( the week after I left, sales went down by 60 odd percent, and profit down a little more. Last time I was in there saying hi to everyone, they were still down over 40% vs last year when I worked there, even with 3 new hires to replace me. ) I held that damn department together and knew it. The problem is, corporate doesn't give a rats ass.

And yes, this is still about nik :p

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
$10.20/hr for level 2? That sucks. I'm $13.75/hr for level 1 in a small company. I suppose OR vs. CA is a significant difference though. Call centers just plain suck--period. Work call center for a company that will pay educational expenses and then transfer higher level/department or out of the company. That's what I'm aiming for atm.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: GoodRevrnd
$10.20/hr for level 2? That sucks. I'm $13.75/hr for level 1 in a small company. I suppose OR vs. CA is a significant difference though. Call centers just plain suck--period. Work call center for a company that will pay educational expenses and then transfer higher level/department or out of the company. That's what I'm aiming for atm.

The company shut down the internet university shortly after I got here (which is the main reason I applied). :frown: Now I can only hope that at some point, they'll open up the Uni again. If I can find a technical job for that much, I'll be fine. Hell, if I can find ANY job that starts at $10/hr I'll be fine.

This place pays new, full time employees $8/hr to start -and we have much, much harder contracts.

nik

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Well, weren't you fired for advertising sales before the sale actually took place or something like that?

nik

There was a hell of a lot more story than that, but it basicly boils down to that yes :p the nature of the sale is what made me ( and everyone else ) think it was all right.

But that is long past. Now I spend 4-6 hours a day looking for a job so I can have money to buy you a muzzle for Christmas :p

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Why should we? Just because other companies are happy enough to provide you with a dialup backup doesn't mean AT&T has to or should be expected to. Who cares why they don't provide it for you. It's AT&T Broadband Internet, not AT&T Broadband Internet And Backup Dialup.

nik
Yeah, if I need a dialup connection that badly then I just use NetZero. ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I defend the company to sniveling little customers who think that because they're paying ATTBI a few dollars a month, that we have to kiss their ass and bend over backwards at their every whim. I defend my job to a company that doesn't care about it's employees, either.

nik
Welcome to customer service. You ought to try my straight-commission sales job sometime.
I honestly think that you should, Nik. You don't sound very happy doing what you're doing.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman
Now I spend 4-6 hours a day looking for a job so I can have money to buy you a muzzle for Christmas :p
If you create a paypal fund and put it in your sig I'm sure we could get donors. :D

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
You can go into AT&T core. Get out of any dealing with the customers.

KK

No, I can't. I'm a contractor.

nik

What I don't understand is why ATTBI doesn't have an access number you can use to get online if your cable connection goes out. It's annoying when you are used to having an connection anytime you want, then something happens, and you are left without any means to connect. I never understood this.

KK

Why should we? Just because other companies are happy enough to provide you with a dialup backup doesn't mean AT&T has to or should be expected to. Who cares why they don't provide it for you. It's AT&T Broadband Internet, not AT&T Broadband Internet And Backup Dialup.

nik

This happened last thursday to me. I call support, they have me do the normal stuff, turn off modem, turn on modem. Still nothing, they said the earliest they can get out is Saturday 2-5. That all fine and dandy, but what's that leave me with. Nothing. Not even any compensation for the 2 days of interuption. They need to reimburse me for these 2 days, ($40/30)2. What's that, $2.66. :)
It just would be nice of them to provide something. I thought they did have a number, but you have to pay them for usage. Is this true?

KK

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
I defend the company to sniveling little customers who think that because they're paying ATTBI a few dollars a month, that we have to kiss their ass and bend over backwards at their every whim. I defend my job to a company that doesn't care about it's employees, either.

nik
Welcome to customer service. You ought to try my straight-commission sales job sometime.
I honestly think that you should, Nik. You don't sound very happy doing what you're doing.

I don't have a straight-commission job, and I don't need the customer serve practice, so don't give me that bullsh|t. I've been doing customer service over two jobs for almost three years, and I'm damn good at it. Customer service isn't that hard. When a customer demands it, and the company refuses it, the customer shouldn't demand it again. If they don't like it, there are plenty of other companies out there. Customer service is NOT kissing the customer's ass and giving them whatever they want.

nik

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
You can go into AT&T core. Get out of any dealing with the customers.

KK

No, I can't. I'm a contractor.

nik

What I don't understand is why ATTBI doesn't have an access number you can use to get online if your cable connection goes out. It's annoying when you are used to having an connection anytime you want, then something happens, and you are left without any means to connect. I never understood this.

KK

nik

This happened last thursday to me. I call support, they have me do the normal stuff, turn off modem, turn on modem. Still nothing, they said the earliest they can get out is Saturday 2-5. That all fine and dandy, but what's that leave me with. Nothing. Not even any compensation for the 2 days of interuption. They need to reimburse me for these 2 days, ($40/30)2. What's that, $2.66. :)
It just would be nice of them to provide something. I thought they did have a number, but you have to pay them for usage. Is this true?

KK

The national number that you can use for ATTBI is 888-262-6300, which is toll free. If the tech that comes out to your house finds out that your computer is hay-wire, then that's your issue and AT&T won't reimburse you for it. If you buy our service, have the install, and pay each month for a year -but just have the modem sitting there and no computer hooked to it, that's your problem and you're not going to get reimbursed for it. Same with a broken computer. If you bash your system with a hammer and can't get online, we wont' give you credit. Sorry, it don't work like that ;)

BUT, on the other hand, if the tech comes out and checks your modem and finds that the modem is bad, he'll replace it. He'll replace lines if necessary. If it's your fault, you pay for it. If it's AT&T's fault, we pay for it. And, yes, if it is our fault, you'll get reimbursed your whole $2.66 :p -you just have to call billing and go "here is my ticket number. The tech was out today to fix it and turns out it was ATTBI hardware that was at fault. I would like credit." and you'll get your credit. The only thing is that you have to wait until there's proof - so after the trouble call.

nik

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

nik

I don't have a straight-commission job, and I don't need the customer serve practice, so don't give me that bullsh|t. I've been doing customer service over two jobs for almost three years, and I'm damn good at it. Customer service isn't that hard. When a customer demands it, and the company refuses it, the customer shouldn't demand it again. If they don't like it, there are plenty of other companies out there. Customer service is NOT kissing the customer's ass and giving them whatever they want.

nik
I agree. And that wasn't my point. Exactly the opposite in fact. I had thought about adding more to my earlier post but didn't so I will now.
With mortgage refinancing so popular right now, a large number of my sales prospects are people who want something they simply cannot have and/or have been lied to by other lenders/brokers into believing that they can have that. For example, they demand below market rates (like rates aren't already low enough) without fees or buy-downs, or to be approved for an "A credit" loan when they simply do not qualify due to income/credit/property, etc.
Bear in mind I work for an extremely aggressive and competitive lender that can beat the big banks on rates, terms, and approvals and that I am one of my company's top producers with 8 years experience in the industry. However, many of these prospects are downright rude, acting as though they have a "right" to a free deal, etc. Many of these people have been brainwashed by LendingTree.com commericials into thinking that I should be desperate to personally lose money doing their impossible deal. About once a week I am asked by a prospect to do something illegal in order to get their loan approved. I refuse and refuse and you better believe they demand again, expecting me to kiss their ass all the way along. Many are very dissapointed to discover that I am (1) not desperate and (2) never going to kiss their ass. Be nice, personable, professional, and polite? Of course. Kiss ass? No.
It's just the nature of the job and I accept that. I focus my time and my energy on those people who I can help and don't waste my efforts on helping those who refuse to be helped.
This isn't about me though.
My point to you is that customers are always the same, it never changes. The customer on your current call doesn't know about all the information you gave the customer on your previous call, so if they ask the same question you're going to have to explain it all to the new customer all over again. You don't EVER have to ass-kiss, just be polite and personable. Having to ass-kiss means that you've lost control.
Anyway, this is too long. The reason the customer keeps demanding after they've been refused is because (1) they don't know better and need to be educated or (2) they want what no one is going to give to them so they can't get it from someone else, which is why they keep grinding you.
Hope I was clear this time.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Actually, Vic, the thing that I'm most complaining about here is the fact that Tier1 passes these calls up to Tier2 simply because they don't want to deal with explaining everything out and listening to the customer become irate. Granted, not every call becomes irate, but angry at the least. I think I can remember all of one call where the gentleman was simply inquiring about whether he could get it nor not -not expecting to get it- and was perfectly satisfied and professional about it when he was correctly informed. That man, I would like to find in real life and buy him a beer. Or two. Or a car, for that matter, because it's customers like him that keep renewing my hope day to day that there are customers out there who actually are worth going out of my way for. Yes, I go out of my way to do things for customers. I risk my job for it (going outside of support boundaries in occasion), if they've not been a hellion of a customer.

But it's Tier1 that simply can't do their job. There aren't any negative consequences for them, and, instead, AT&T provides them a scape goat for them to get out of their work - us. Tier1 doesn't have to be told on every call that the service isn't available yet, and they shouldn't be. They shouldn't have to be reminded constantly, but I don't have the joy of telling the Tier1 CSR who warm-transfers (*cough*colddayinhell*cough*) the sub to me that the service isn't available and won't be available until further notice.

So, I guess I should have made that clear. My biggest rant tonight is about Tier1.

Again.

nik

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Beau6183
Hey, you try running a company that large, big boy!

<---- Trying shamefully to be the devil's advocate on ATTBI that nik usually plays :D

Yeah, I know. That's the problem: they're so big that nobody can touch them.

nik

And, they're getting bigger with the approval today by the FTC to allow the merger of AT&T and Comcast.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
Get the asshat who is in charge of the teir one group on the horn and tell him this is bull. Is there not some way to get the teir 1 group to do their job?

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman
so, how do I access the dial up server?

:p
I have the number. If anyone wants it, just PM me for it.
NB - I can only honor the first 600 requests.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
rolleye.gif

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Shamelessly stripped from another post I made...

Throughout all my years, AT&T has always managed to suprise me. I've used their cable modem service for more than 3 years now(2 good years, and then AT&T broke away from @home...), and they've always been a pain in certain areas. To cut a long story short...

The original modem they gave me was a Com21 ComPort 2000; non-DOCSYS compliant, not remotely administratable, and otherwise a pain in the butt for AT&T from Y2K onwards. About a month ago, it finally bit the dust, and AT&T said it would take a week to send someone out to install a new one. I instead opted to buy my own modem(A Motorola SB4200), that way I could get back online the same day. The downside? I still had to return the Com21 even though AT&T said it was junk.

AT&T's only 2 "full service" offices are a good half hour out from me on a normal day traffic wise. As a student, it's a pain to get away from school/work to drop off a modem(not that I'm particularly thrilled to do it anyhow). So, finally when I get a chunk of free time on a weekday, I return the Com21, back on Monday the 4th. It seems AT&T's right hand wasn't paying attention to the left hand(which knew I would be returning the modem), and started the process of sending me a new modem.

They of course, don't tell me that they're sending it, and it arrived tonight. Inside the box is none other than a brand new SB4200, and instructions saying that you can throw away the old modem.:| I just got off the phone with AT&T; I now have to return the modem they sent me, which I didn't order, which I didn't want, which I don't even need. It'll either cost me an arm and a leg to have them pick it up, or I have to haul my butt accross town again to return this modem(never mind I returned the first one only to now be told by the letter that I don't need to).

Listen bub, I don't want your damn modem. I have a modem, it works well. Give me my monthly discount, and take away your modem. I shouldn't be wasting my time and money to return something that I didn't want.:|

Nik, any of you other AT&T techs, is there anything I can do to get rid of this modem(that won't cost me any real time/money) other than haul it off myself?