Question ram overclocking

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
i have corsair LPX 32gb 16x2 3600mhz my question is how far can i stretch it currently it is at 3766mhz 19 23 23 44 if i clock it to 4000mhz will there be any difference in gaming plus windows open close programs browsers etc.? also will it decrease life of rams my motherboard is msi z490 tomahawk

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Have you used the DRAM timing tool(s) to get an idea of what your values could be with that memory? There could be a difference in some applications having faster RAM, but it's not like it's going to be some crazy big jump in performance. Most people do this out of the interest of doing it as an exercise more so than the actual performance gains of increasing their lowest 1% performance, etc, type stuff. Will it lower the life span? Sure, heat does that to everything ultimately, but you'll upgrade long before it's probably an issue unless you fry the RAM completely. If it's not stable it will cause more problems than not, so before you chase a specific number, worry about whatever you can get to that is stable.

Very best,

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Agreed with MalVeaux here...

You'll likely upgrade long before the RAM dies from "normal" overclocking. I have 32GB (2 x 16) of the same memory and daily run it at 4133 @ 1.37v with timings of 19-22-22-41-64 with the rest of timings on "Auto". It's faster in every test than when it was at 4000, or 3866...but for daily use it's not noticeable at all.
Games show a trivial gain on some, but no gain on others. It depends on the games and the rest of your system. Cyberpunk 2077 gained 1 FPS at the minimum framerate (on average), while Marvel Avengers was within the margin of error.

Do I have bragging rights for daily running at 4133, and does that make my ego larger? You betcha!

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Agreed with MalVeaux here...

You'll likely upgrade long before the RAM dies from "normal" overclocking. I have 32GB (2 x 16) of the same memory and daily run it at 4133 @ 1.37v with timings of 19-22-22-41-64 with the rest of timings on "Auto". It's faster in every test than when it was at 4000, or 3866...but for daily use it's not noticeable at all.
Games show a trivial gain on some, but no gain on others. It depends on the games and the rest of your system. Cyberpunk 2077 gained 1 FPS at the minimum framerate (on average), while Marvel Avengers was within the margin of error.

Do I have bragging rights for daily running at 4133, and does that make my ego larger? You betcha!

M
i am unable to overlcok my ram i mean timings i start with 15 16 16 28 say but pc does not boot i tried many different speeds does not work i have lpx 3600mhz 16gbx2

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
OP,

First thing is to set the XMP to enabled and set everything else to auto boot into windows. 3600 is the default XMP for that RAM. Next reboot into BIOS and MANUALLY set the RAM to CR 2, 18-22-22-42-64 at 3600 with 1.35v. That's the manual setting that is pretty close to the XMP.

By the numbers.....

1. Successfully run it on full auto auto
2. Manually set it to XMP and reboot into Windows then reboot into BIOS
3. Manually set it to 18-22-22-42-64 and the rest of the timings to AUTO
4. Raise the DRAM voltage to 1.38v and set the frequency to DDR 4000, and leave the timings alone

On many Z490 boards there are different RAM profiles like "double-sided", "Relax OC", "4500+", "performance" etc. On my board the setting is 4500+ to easily allow overclocking past 3600. You have Micron E-die, so super-tight timings isn't a solution but high frequency is pretty easy

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
OP,

First thing is to set the XMP to enabled and set everything else to auto boot into windows. 3600 is the default XMP for that RAM. Next reboot into BIOS and MANUALLY set the RAM to CR 2, 18-22-22-42-64 at 3600 with 1.35v. That's the manual setting that is pretty close to the XMP.

By the numbers.....

1. Successfully run it on full auto auto
2. Manually set it to XMP and reboot into Windows then reboot into BIOS
3. Manually set it to 18-22-22-42-64 and the rest of the timings to AUTO
4. Raise the DRAM voltage to 1.38v and set the frequency to DDR 4000, and leave the timings alone

On many Z490 boards there are different RAM profiles like "double-sided", "Relax OC", "4500+", "performance" etc. On my board the setting is 4500+ to easily allow overclocking past 3600. You have Micron E-die, so super-tight timings isn't a solution but high frequency is pretty easy

M
i want to tighten timings currently running at 4400mhz but timing is not good it is something 27 27 ...

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Agreed...you're timings are too loose to gain anything at that frequency.

Maybe start with CAS 21-24-24-43-64 and 1.4V to the RAM (if you have OK cooling). You may have to adjust with VCCIO and System Agent voltages to be stable

Next, if you have AIDA 64, run the benchmarks and pay close attention to the latency and make sure that you are about the same latency as when the RAM is at 3600mhz , then run your favorite game. You'll see that lower latency and tighter timings is often faster in the real world than higher frequency and slower latency. Go as high as you can (frequency-wise) with low latency and you'll get the most out of your RAM.

I personally found that the voltage needed (1.40v) to run tight timings above 4133mhz was just not worth it. I settled on 4133mhz and reasonably tight timings. Even though this RAM can certainly clock higher....It gained me nothing to speak of.

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013

Maybe start with CAS 21-24-24-43-64 and 1.4V to the RAM (if you have OK cooling). You may have to adjust with VCCIO and System Agent voltages to be stable

Next, if you have AIDA 64, run the benchmarks and pay close attention to the latency and make sure that you are about the same latency as when the RAM is at 3600mhz , then run your favorite game. You'll see that lower latency and tighter timings is often faster in the real world than higher frequency and slower latency. Go as high as you can (frequency-wise) with low latency and you'll get the most out of your RAM.

I personally found that the voltage needed (1.40v) to run tight timings above 4133mhz was just not worth it. I settled on 4133mhz and reasonably tight timings. Even though this RAM can certainly clock higher....It gained me nothing to speak of.

M
What is that last value 64 name?

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013

M
thanks a ton atleast my pc booted with those values still wondering under which option should i put 64 value i cannot find it

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
64 is the tRC setting.

Your motherboard may not allow you to see that setting. Not sure about the MSI boards, but the Aurous boards are a little over the top with RAM settings.....

M

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
I believe that t you have to go into "Advanced" mode "F7" to adjust voltages and sub-timings (If I remember correctly). MSI has an "Easy" mode and "Advanced" mode. It should also enable advanced DRAM configuration. Bad things happen to good people that OC with "AUTO" settings.

M

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
I believe that t you have to go into "Advanced" mode "F7" to adjust voltages and sub-timings (If I remember correctly). MSI has an "Easy" mode and "Advanced" mode. It should also enable advanced DRAM configuration. Bad things happen to good people that OC with "AUTO" settings.

M
it is running fine now how should i start lowering more

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
You can certinly try.

In order:

1. Lower CAS
2. Lower tRCD
3. Lower trP.
4. Lower tRAS and then tRC. These two are sensitive, and you may not be able to lower these at all to gain speed. I lost speed when adjusting them to low

After these are as low as you can go without losing speed, there's other timings that can help with gaming, like tFAW and tFRC.

M

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Also, for daily use, don't go above 1.4v if you can avoid it. I've seen air-cooled benches at 1.5v, with this RAM, but nobody believes it will live a long life at that level.

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
You can certinly try.

In order:

1. Lower CAS
2. Lower tRCD
3. Lower trP.
4. Lower tRAS and then tRC. These two are sensitive, and you may not be able to lower these at all to gain speed. I lost speed when adjusting them to low

After these are as low as you can go without losing speed, there's other timings that can help with gaming, like tFAW and tFRC.

M
in what order do i decrease i mean current is 21-24-24-43 should i do 20-23-23- how should i start 43 value?

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
ok this is the last stable value with 17 20 20 39 fary cry crashed is this because voltage is still auto it is at 1.352 in auto mode

Attachments

• Far Cry® New Dawn2021-1-6-15-40-58.jpg
    Far Cry® New Dawn2021-1-6-15-40-58.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 1

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
ok this is the last stable value with 17 20 20 39 fary cry crashed is this because voltage is still auto it is at 1.352 in auto mode

--It's normal to see tRC as blank. It's the same with my board (Z490 Aurous PRO AX). In Thaiphoon Burner it shows the setting I entered. Probably not an issue since MSI supports overclocking

--I just looked this up in the manual, but you have a setting in the "OC Menu" for DRAM Voltages control. You should set your RAM voltage to around 1.36v-1.37v to stabilize it. That will likely fix Far CRy crashing. With BF4, if your game didn't stutter before, but it does after RAM settings, try relaxing the timings by one, starting with tRCD and tRP and retest.

Here's the motherboard manual link that I'm referring to. I think that it's the right one.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-Z490-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
--It's normal to see tRC as blank. It's the same with my board (Z490 Aurous PRO AX). In Thaiphoon Burner it shows the setting I entered. Probably not an issue since MSI supports overclocking

--I just looked this up in the manual, but you have a setting in the "OC Menu" for DRAM Voltages control. You should set your RAM voltage to around 1.36v-1.37v to stabilize it. That will likely fix Far CRy crashing. With BF4, if your game didn't stutter before, but it does after RAM settings, try relaxing the timings by one, starting with tRCD and tRP and retest.

Here's the motherboard manual link that I'm referring to. I think that it's the right one.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-Z490-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

M
i am running now 4400mhz is it worth it? 19 24 24 49 767

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
That's pretty good timing for these modules. Congratulations!

Whether it's worth it all depends on what you're doing. Benchmarking? Maybe. Gaming? Your GPU is the limiting factor in your setup, not your RAM. If you want to run at 4400, you should definitely log your framerates and compare to other RAM settings to see what gives you the best boost at the minimum framerate. The lowest average framerate matters the most when you're GPU-bound

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
That's pretty good timing for these modules. Congratulations!

Whether it's worth it all depends on what you're doing. Benchmarking? Maybe. Gaming? Your GPU is the limiting factor in your setup, not your RAM. If you want to run at 4400, you should definitely log your framerates and compare to other RAM settings to see what gives you the best boost at the minimum framerate. The lowest average framerate matters the most when you're GPU-bound

M
can you help me with last question ever since i upgraded my whole pc to i9 10900k netflix seems to have some weird lag frame lag i mean when motion is fast it kind of stutter not smooth but this problem was not on i5 2500k