RAID0 trim and SRT seems possible on 6-series and 5-Series

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
:D It makes me wonder, still no tech site e.g. http://www.anandtech.com , http://thessdreview.com/ , http://www.techpowerup.com/ regarding this great news! Come on Intel! What is your official statement about this? Or better yet, please explain it to us. :D

I would rather not have official news released because it may cause them to quietly lock it down again and set the community back another year trying to figure it out. In fact, as we speak I am saving the orom and my bios and the latest intel RST into a storage folder in case the next update of either quietly and secretly puts an end to the discovery.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
With my gigabyte board, all I really did was flash my motherboard with the updated bios and then install the latest intel Rapid storage raid driver and trim was fully working.
Didn't need to recreate the array. Didn't even need to switch from ahci to raid to be honest in the bios.
I doubt, that you are right regarding the last sentence. An automatic switch of the SATA mode from "AHCI" or "IDE" to "RAID" without entering the BIOS seems rather unlikely.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I remember being surprised after the flash that windows booted up, meaning raid mode was active and not ahci. At the time of the flash i was already in raid mode. Not really sure what happened there. Maybe its my memory screwing up and forgetting that I quietly switched over now that I think about it. Either way just happy to have working trim.

ney2x

Nov 21, 2012
I would rather not have official news released because it may cause them to quietly lock it down again and set the community back another year trying to figure it out. In fact, as we speak I am saving the orom and my bios and the latest intel RST into a storage folder in case the next update of either quietly and secretly puts an end to the discovery.

2 months ago I posted at overclock.net that I have a "friend from inside" told me to wait for this important feature (TRIM on RAID) especially on older chipsets. "He" told me that Intel will release an IRST driver that will support TRIM on RAID on older chipset, it makes me think and this must be their excuse for this exposed feature...

Anyways, Dufus a.k.a. CPL0, deserves a beer from us! :awe:

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
This article is very good. Thank you very much!

If there are any errors, let me know and I'll edit the article.
I haven't seen an error, but it may be a good idea to mention, that TRIM in RAID0 will not work for Z68 or P67 user by just updating the Intel RAID ROM module of their BIOS.
They have to customize the RAID ROM file by using a hex editor or - much easier - take an already modified Intel RAID ROM module. As you know I am offering the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with enabled TRIM for RAID0 for Z68 and P67 chipsets within the start post of >this< thread since 11/25/2012.

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
I haven't seen an error, but it may be a good idea to mention, that TRIM in RAID0 will not work for Z68 or P67 user by just updating the Intel RAID ROM module of their BIOS.
They have to customize the RAID ROM file by using a hex editor or - much easier - take an already modified Intel RAID ROM module. As you know I am offering the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with enabled TRIM for RAID0 for Z68 and P67 chipsets within the start post of >this< thread since 11/25/2012.

I added a line about that :)

kensiko30

Feb 27, 2011
I just read the article.

So you have modified the OROM to ensure it will work with series 6 chipset? If this is true, where can we get it?

organshifter

Nov 22, 2012
I just read the article.

So you have modified the OROM to ensure it will work with series 6 chipset? If this is true, where can we get it?

Hellhammer linked to it on page 2 of his article, but Fernando is still online. List your motherboard/bios, and he'll probably cook one up for ya. :)

Latest ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 and Deluxe BIOS 3603 has an OROM version of v11.2.0.1527, so no TRIM-enabled yet.

Thanks for the info. Shame on Intel.

Last edited:

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Thanks for the great work guys! -- I'll be trying this on my P67 Sabertooth once my other SSD arrives.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Was having some trouble with searching in hex editor but solved it. No problems. Thanks.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
So I was able to dump the ROM from my Sony Vaio but have you seen this error before it looks like the MM tool cannot read this rom file. I can read the rom files from my Asus board no problem.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
My mobo is Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, latest bios is 2.3.
The modified Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, which you can download from >here<, will enable the TRIM in RAID0 feature for your Z68 system. Just insert it into your actual mainboard BIOS.

So I was able to dump the ROM from my Sony Vaio but have you seen this error before it looks like the MM tool cannot read this rom file.
Did you already try the Aptio UEFI MMTool?

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
The modified Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, which you can download from >here<, will enable the TRIM in RAID0 feature for your Z68 system. Just insert it into your actual mainboard BIOS.

Did you already try the Aptio UEFI MMTool?

I didn't try it because this Vaio z is a 2010 model so I didn't think the UEFI version would work since this is an older style bios.

But its worth a shot I guess.

Ok so I tried it but something still doesn't look right. i'm unable to find the Raid ROM in this screen.

Last edited:

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Ok so I tried it but something still doesn't look right. i'm unable to find the Raid ROM in this screen.
Yes, mainboard manufacturers like Sony and Intel don't make it easy for the users to look into the BIOS components and to modify the BIOS.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Could this work on X58 boards? Specifically the Asus P6T Deluxe (v1)?
We don't know it until now, but you may test it, if you want.
Preconditions:
1. It should be possible to update the Intel RAID ROM module of your mainboard BIOS to v11.6.0.1702.
2. Dufus's SATA ID Tool must show a valid Alternate Device ID. >Here< you can find the link. Please run the tool and tell me the Alternate Device ID. Then I will try to enable the TRIM in RAID feature for your mainboard.

Yavi

Nov 28, 2012
@ Makaveli

It might help if you fill link present square and look for Vendor ID 8086 and Device ID 2822 or 282a .....

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Yes, mainboard manufacturers like Sony and Intel don't make it easy for the users to look into the BIOS components and to modify the BIOS.

lol great so then I either wait for pyro to respond which isn't looking good since he is a new member with 1 post.

He is on the notebook review site cause I seen him in the sony thread over there somewhere but I don't like waiting.

I'm either gonna have to find another rom or find away to extract it from there exe.

davidm71

Nov 13, 2008
What we need is someone who is proficient in assembly language to find the conditional argument in the orom or driver that checks those device ids and force it off so all intel boards older or not are supported. I get the feeling that only the device ids that were in the original orom table are supported and the reason some had trim turned off is for the following reasons: 1. They want to sell the latest tech and force your upgrade path. 2. They're being cheap with paying their engineers do the validation on older hardware even from last year, and 3. End of life hardware not supported period as oem vendors will never get to updating the bios from few years back (ex. X58 boards). What a shame..