RAID0 trim and SRT seems possible on 6-series and 5-Series

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
@ Sagath:
It would probably not a big problem for me to extract the Intel RAID ROM module, which is present within your Intel mainboard BIOS, but I don't know how to update it due to the abnormal BIOS structure.
So I am sorry, that I cannot really help you.
You should ask the Intel support for a BIOS update with enabled TRIM support for your mainboard. Maybe they will do it, if you make clear, that all P67 users with an ASUS, ASRock or Gigabyte mainboard have no problems to get TRIM into their SSD RAID0.

Yavi

Nov 28, 2012
@Sagath

AFAIK, Intel and Sony (Vaio) use InSydeH20 UEFI implementation of InSyde Software Co. instead of AMI Aptio. Therefore you need the equivalent of MMTool Aptio, which is most likely EzH2O Toolset.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
@Sagath

AFAIK, Intel and Sony (Vaio) use InSydeH20 UEFI implementation of InSyde Software Co. instead of AMI Aptio. Therefore you need the equivalent of MMTool Aptio, which is most likely EzH2O Toolset.

Thank you boss that is the information I was looking for.

RReapeR

Nov 30, 2012
@ RReapeR:
Welcome at AnandTech Forum!
If you want TRIM within your P67 RAID0 without doing any additional work yourself, I recommend to look into >this< thread. Garikfox is offering there the actual BIOS 3602 for your P8P67 EVO with already integrated TRIM supporting modified Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702. If you want a special TRIM supporting BIOS version with a special RAID ROM version, you probably have to do the BIOS modding procedure yourself. >Here< you will find a download link to the requested Intel RAID ROM v11.5.0.1414 (not yet customized for P67 TRIM support).

thx for the quick reply , my only problem is that i dont want a clean instal of win7 64& .... as i understand it, anyway u put it u have to remake ur raid and do a clean install , any workarround ?.... i really need trim on 2 agility 3 raid 0 theyr going not trimed for 1 year . on the other side is my valuable data and the fact i hate incremential data backup ...........

Sagath

May 14, 2007
@ Sagath:
It would probably not a big problem for me to extract the Intel RAID ROM module, which is present within your Intel mainboard BIOS, but I don't know how to update it due to the abnormal BIOS structure.
So I am sorry, that I cannot really help you.
You should ask the Intel support for a BIOS update with enabled TRIM support for your mainboard. Maybe they will do it, if you make clear, that all P67 users with an ASUS, ASRock or Gigabyte mainboard have no problems to get TRIM into their SSD RAID0.

I appreciate your input and effor, but I have a tough time thinking Intel will enable this, since they already released the patch to enable it on 7x series chipsets, and not 6x. If it was that easy (intel is a big proponent of validation) they would have done so already.

@Sagath

I tried v 2.1.0.4, it wont even open the .bio, only .fd

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Thank you for this information.
Do you know where to get an actual version of this tool?

my only problem is that i dont want a clean instal of win7 64& .... as i understand it, anyway u put it u have to remake ur raid and do a clean install
Why do you think you need to do a clean OS installation?
Usually there is no need to recreate the RAID array after having flashed the TRIM supporting BIOS. You will get TRIM working automaticly.
In case you really have to recreate the RAID array using the new Intel RAID ROM, I recommend to do a backup of your OS partition by using a tool like Acronis TrueImage. Once the RAID array is recreated, you can recover the complete old OS partition within a few minutes.

Yavi

Nov 28, 2012
@ Makveli & Sagath

I tried EzH2O v 2.1.0.13, but dates from mid 2009 and doesn't work either.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
I tried v 2.1.0.4, it wont even open the .bio, only .fd
I got v2.1.0.13, which offers to open any files.
When I try to open your actual Intel mainboard BIOS named BG2209P.BIO, I get the following error message:
an5zyduva1i.png

Sagath

May 14, 2007
:(

I guess I'm SOL for getting TRIM RAID to work. Maybe I can sell the mobo, and buy a 7 series. Not sure if the cost is really worth it at this point in s1155 lifecycle, as new socket processors are just around the bend I'm sure

organshifter

Nov 22, 2012
thx for the quick reply , my only problem is that i dont want a clean instal of win7 64& .... as i understand it, anyway u put it u have to remake ur raid and do a clean install , any workarround ?.... i really need trim on 2 agility 3 raid 0 theyr going not trimed for 1 year . on the other side is my valuable data and the fact i hate incremential data backup ...........

Lots of people didn't have to re-create their array to get trim working.

• Download the BIOS for your board from Garikfox's FTP.
  • Uninstall whichever RST you have now (reboot if needed).
  • Install RST v11.6.2.1002 WHQL
  • Reboot, enter your BIOS and set all to default. Save and reboot.
  • Flash the modified BIOS. Reboot.
  • Enter BIOS, configure, ensuring to set SATA ports to RAID. Reboot.
  • Enter Windows and run the TRIM test

If TRIM doesn't initially work for you, and re-creating your array is necessary, just make an image backup of your system and restore it right after.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
@ Makveli & Sagath

I tried EzH2O v 2.1.0.13, but dates from mid 2009 and doesn't work either.

I found a copy of EzH20 v 2.1.0.4

Which doesn't give me any errors.

Now trying to figure out the tool.

Last edited:

kulica

Nov 20, 2012
TRIM does work on GA-P67A-UD5-B3 with two Crucial SSD m4 in RAID0. Raid was created with the new modded intel orom FW. The orom was modiefied as dufus pointed out, i.e. replace one entry with 1c04 0000 07 byte sequence. :biggrin:

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
I found a copy of EzH20 v 2.1.0.4
Which doesn't give me any errors.
This version doesn't work either with Sagath's Intel mainboard BIOS, which has the extension ".BIO".
Here is the error message:
gq71hgsvy11q.png

Meanwhile I found this somewhere in the net:
Some of the INTEL BIOS files with the .BIO extension are disguised AMI Bios.

Since this discussion has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, we should not continue it here.

davidm71

Nov 13, 2008
According to Dufus this means, that TRIM in RAID0 cannot been activated by a simple ROM modification.
More important than the chipset of the mainboard (in your case: X58) is the Southbridge chip. There obviously are X58 mainboards with an onboard "ICH10 Family" (Alt. DeviceID is 3a02), "ICH10R" (ID is 3a25) or even "ICH9R" (ID is 2925) SATA RAID Controllers.
Maybe it will help to check the DeciveID of the onboard Intel SATA AHCI Controller. If that Controller is a real "5-Series SATA AHCI Controller" with a DeviceID beginning with "3B" instead of "3A", which stands for ICH10 SATA Controllers, the TRIM in RAID feature may be activated by the correct DeviceID within the RAID ROM file.

I always thought I had an ich10R but Aida64 is saying its an 82801HB/R ICH8/9 which has a device id of 8086 2822. I tried that id along with 3a25, 2925, 3b25. I found a few other ids ill try later today. Also wonder if '0000' will work or maybe it needs the lpc id in there as well?

Report findings. Thanks.

Last edited:

xciter327

Nov 30, 2012
I was unsuccessful with enabling TRIM on a Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3(bios version 2.20). I downloaded a bios from the Asrock download page, opened it up and replaced the Intel RST RAID ROM with the one suggested at this thread(Intel_RSTe_RAID_ROM_v11.6.0.1702_mod_by_Fernando_for_P67+Z68) and flashed the BIOS. The RAID ROM was successfully updated to version 11.6.0.1702, however TRIM does not appear to work with two Vertex 3. This is after the deletion of the file(waiting time about 2min)
trim-no-working.jpg

The only thing I have not tried is to delete the array and make a new one with the new firmware since this will require me to re install windows again.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
The RAID ROM was successfully updated to version 11.6.0.1702, however TRIM does not appear to work with two Vertex 3. This is after the deletion of the file(waiting time about 2min)
It is not enough to delete the file, you have to empty the Recycle Bin folder too.
Some users have reported, that TRIM was active at next reboot. This behaviour obviously depends on the SSD firmware.

The only thing I have not tried is to delete the array and make a new one with the new firmware since this will require me to re install windows again.
No, a fresh OS install is not required at all. Take a tool like Acronis True Image and let it do a backup of all RAID partitions. Then you can recover all your partitions and data after having recreated the array.

Ourasi

Jun 15, 2009
I was unsuccessful with enabling TRIM on a Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3(bios version 2.20). I downloaded a bios from the Asrock download page, opened it up and replaced the Intel RST RAID ROM with the one suggested at this thread(Intel_RSTe_RAID_ROM_v11.6.0.1702_mod_by_Fernando_for_P67+Z68) and flashed the BIOS. The RAID ROM was successfully updated to version 11.6.0.1702, however TRIM does not appear to work with two Vertex 3. This is after the deletion of the file(waiting time about 2min)

Vertex 3's need the latest firmware 5.03/5.04 to have working TRIM, make sure you are on OCZ's version of these firmwares.. Do not do the heavy stuff like rebuild before you are sertain all stuff is upto date and correct for TRIM.. Backup, recreate array, restore backupimage, thats the easy route if you must recreate array.. I did not need to recreate array, so do this at the last stop only imho..

xciter327

Nov 30, 2012
The reboot did not work. I am making a image of the array. Will post results.

edit: I have already update both SSD's to the latest firmware(FW2.25).

Last edited:

kulica

Nov 20, 2012
I have come to the conclusion, that SSD in RAID0 array just isn't useful. Those disk drives are just not made for this kind of array. They are best used alone. I have tried strip sizes from 16 kB to 128 kB, but the drive just does not behave as it is supposed to. The whole system just slows down. wtf? Why do you need sequential speeds up to 900 MB/s when you just can't use it (wherever you copy that file, that speed will go to waste). On the other hand, you won't achieve the best performance in 4 kB read and write with raid0 unless you put strip size down to a block size of an SSD, but then the sequential read an write speeds are the same as non raid disk. I think there is no advantage over non raid disk in real life (not benchmarks, which are useless in real case scenarios). I mean you start visual studio and it takes longer than without raid?!? You copy files from SSD to magnetic disk raid with 20 MB/s when you have a lot of files in your visual studio project. It's just useless.

I think SSD disks are made to be used alone. Optimized through the whole range of read/write speeds. I am going back to separate regime.

Last edited:

xciter327

Nov 30, 2012
Ok. I redid the array and copied back the image. TRIM is till not working.Before and after reboot. Suggestions?

Last edited:

kbp

Oct 8, 2011
I have come to the conclusion, that SSD in RAID0 array just isn't useful. Those disk drives are just not made for this kind of array. They are best used alone. I have tried strip sizes from 16 kB to 128 kB, but the drive just does not behave as it is supposed to. The whole system just slows down. wtf? Why do you need sequential speeds up to 900 MB/s when you just can't use it (wherever you copy that file, that speed will go to waste). On the other hand, you won't achieve the best performance in 4 kB read and write with raid0 unless you put strip size down to a block size of an SSD, but then the sequential read an write speeds are the same as non raid disk. I think there is no advantage over non raid disk in real life (not benchmarks, which are useless in real case scenarios). I mean you start visual studio and it takes longer than without raid?!? You copy files from SSD to magnetic disk raid with 20 MB/s when you have a lot of files in your visual studio project. It's just useless.

I think SSD disks are made to be used alone. Optimized through the whole range of read/write speeds. I am going back to separate regime.

Ok.... Open up Photoshop and run a batch file on 500 to 1000 wedding photo's. (a normal shoot)

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
Ok. I redid the array and copied back the image. TRIM is till not working.Before and after reboot. Suggestions?
You seem to be the only user with a Z68 chipset RAID0, who didn't get TRIM support by inserting the especially customized Intel RAID ROM.
Please redo the TRIM test according to the procedure I have layed down >here<.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

While I agree with you about the sequential speed boost it brings that most people won't even use.

My reason for looking at it is more for a capacity boost.

And your the only person i've seen that has gone raid 0 and the system is slower so its obvious something else is going on with your rig.

This version doesn't work either with Sagath's Intel mainboard BIOS, which has the extension ".BIO".
Here is the error message:
gq71hgsvy11q.png

Meanwhile I found this somewhere in the net:

Since this discussion has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, we should not continue it here.

I agree fernando this thread has alot of useful information and I can see it hitting 20-30 pages shortly so to reduce the clutter I think a seperate thread will be need.

intel and sony bios requires a different tool and different process to work with the ROMS.

Last edited:

organshifter

Nov 22, 2012
You seem to be the only user with a Z68 chipset RAID0, who didn't get TRIM support by inserting the especially customized Intel RAID ROM.

The SSD drives being used seems to be a factor on whether or not the TRIM commands will pass.

In my case, TRIM is working flawlessly with the array on my Patriot drives. On the same system, the array on my Transcend drives does not TRIM at all. I've invoked Windows Optimize, logged off/in, rebooted, re-created the array several times, but all to no avail.

TRIM w/ RAID 0 wasn't ever working on either array before the hex mod. Due to the Patriot array trimming beautifully, the mod is obviously working correctly. I just cannot figure out what's preventing the Transcend drives from doing the same.

Anyone have any ideas? Is anyone successfully trimming with the SandForce SF-2281 controller?

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3

SSD Drives:
2x 128GB SATA III Transcend SSD320 Premium RAID0 (Latest firmware v5.0.4)
2x 60GB SATA II Patriot Inferno PI60GS25SSDR RAID0 (original firmware...an update is available, but why bother? TRIM works great! ;))

uplinkpro

Nov 29, 2012
Please redo the TRIM test according to the procedure I have layed down >here<.

I to have the same issue with almost the same board I have the Asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3 and I have re-flashed 2 times with no luck. Latest bios 2.30 and my vertex 3's are also on the latest FW (2.25).