Question on which CPU to buy? (3570k or 2500k)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
Bottom line:
All 3570k's will easily do 4.5ghz at 1.3v or less with manageable temps.
Only 10-15% 2500k's will break that 4.8ghz barrier under 1.4v, most are in the 4.3-4.6ghz range.

Ninnetyer

Jun 1, 2012
ninnetyer.blogspot.com
IB does NOT produce more heat. It runs hotter, that's not the same thing.

I don't really understand what the difference between: more heat, and running hotter, is.
To me both sound the same, maybe because I don't speak English natively, for example: "My Cpu is producing more heart but it isn't hot", I saw that very similar sentence somewhere in this forum, cannot find where it was.
Could anyone please explain a little bit what is the difference between those words?

Cheers--

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Who wants to run 1.5v on their CPU and degrade it? Seriously...

Big deal you ran a benchmark at 1.7v. Why don't you go over to xtremesystems.org and hop in the benchmark forum so you can compare your e-peen hyper pi scores. I seriously cannot believe people think it's cool to spend $200+ on a CPU and push ridiculous voltages through it and have it barely boot to windows and run super pi then grab a screenshot before they have to shut it down.

My CPU will last 4x longer at 4.6 and cruise along with PCIe 3.0. You might someday say "Hey why is my GPU running slower than reviews?" and the answer will be PCIe 2.0 is too slow for Big Kepler. Who knows.

Besides all that, if you're willing to do 1.5v+ 24/7 or even 1.7v then you're willing to de-lid your Ivy CPU and then your whole argument is moot. You'll hit Sandy clocks no issue.

To the OP. I thought about this myself. Ivy vs Sandy and I went Ivy because the price was very minimal difference (there were no killer deals on 2500k cpus) and I wanted the future usage of PCIe 3.0. Yeah maybe now that doesn't make much difference, but as long as I may keep this system...it might someday and for my money I plan for the idea that maybe it'll be good to have.

Blah. I've run 1.65V through one of my 2600K's, through my last 2500K, and will go as high on water as my 3770K will let me. Why? Because its fun benching stuff at 5.5GHz. Oh, and because Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan. Thanks Intel!

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
Its funny how now we get hated for benching and pushing limits because we bought an unlocked chip and paid almost 400 for a mother board that will push that cpu to its limits

Hey I bought my 2600k to abuse the hell out of it,with my same setup(board,ram)I would not get the same results with an ivy(been there and sold it)

and for those that are saying I degraded my chip,if you run 1.4v into your 22nm chip its the same thing as jamming 1.5+ volts into a 32nm chip

YOU ARE ALL DEGRADING YOUR IVYS

this back and forth all started when someone said an ivy will run less watts than a sandy and I said it will at its sweet spot.

ivys are tuned for 4.2-4.4 max and after that they PULL MORE WATTS and volts to clock higher.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I don't really understand what the difference between: more heat, and running hotter, is.
To me both sound the same, maybe because I don't speak English natively, for example: "My Cpu is producing more heart but it isn't hot", I saw that very similar sentence somewhere in this forum, cannot find where it was.
Could anyone please explain a little bit what is the difference between those words?

Cheers--

Ivy bridge gets hotter because although it is producing less heat the cores are a lot smaller. So you have less heat but because it is confined to a smaller space the temperatures get hotter.

Imagine a blow torch under a bathtub of water, after 10 minutes you could still put your hand into the water in the bath and not burn yourself. Put a candle under a metal egg cup full of water and after 10 minutes the water would be boiling and would scald your skin if you touched it.

So...

*SB has more heat but less temperature
*IB has less heat but more temperature

Understand?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

Cheers--

I like to use the analogy using a lighter and a heating vent in your room. The flame from a lighter is Much hotter, you might be able to put your hand over the flame for about a second before suffering severe burns. You can place your hand over an active heating vent for as long as you like, but that much cooler running vent will heat up the room a lot better because it's actually producing more heat.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Its funny how now we get hated for benching and pushing limits because we bought an unlocked chip and paid almost 400 for a mother board that will push that cpu to its limits

Hey I bought my 2600k to abuse the hell out of it,with my same setup(board,ram)I would not get the same results with an ivy(been there and sold it)

and for those that are saying I degraded my chip,if you run 1.4v into your 22nm chip its the same thing as jamming 1.5+ volts into a 32nm chip

YOU ARE ALL DEGRADING YOUR IVYS

this back and forth all started when someone said an ivy will run less watts than a sandy and I said it will at its sweet spot.

ivys are tuned for 4.2-4.4 max and after that they PULL MORE WATTS and volts to clock higher.

You keep using the word hated, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I put 1.65v through an E8500 and E8400 years ago. only got 4.5-4.7g, but that was huge speeds back then cuz most safely clocked to only 4.0-4.2. would be like 5.4 in todays numbers

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Haha, to clock it to the moon of course. Folks on XS were doing 2.1 suicides, i saw no problems with 1600mv. Now that I"m thinking about it, the most stubborn part was getting the mobo to hold a fsb over 500mhz, not the chip