Question on which CPU to buy? (3570k or 2500k)

Ninnetyer

Jun 1, 2012
ninnetyer.blogspot.com
Hello, guys I don´t know if this message correspond here, but i believe it does since you all guys are talking about overclocking the ivy bridge.
I´m planning buying in two or three weeks my PSU and my CPU, I currently have the Aftermarket cooler or whatever the name is (it is the cooler master Hyper 412), and the motherboard which is a Gigabyte Z77X UDH5 without Wi-fi, I have 2 Memory Banks (2x4gb Gskill Ares 1600mhz) and an standard case (which I don’t mind if it is ugly or pretty).
Later I´m going to buy some SSD later this month but that’s secondary stuff.
So my question is what would you guys do If you were me (please share a little of your experience with this chips I only buy Amd generally but this time I want to give intel a try and also Nvidia), Should I get the 3570k ($290) or the 2500k ($283), I won´t buy the 2600k or the 3770k since those CPUs are highly overpriced in my country (for the 2600k it is about $411 and God knows how much for the IB, I believe those chips haven’t arrive yet) and yeah I’m on a budget.
The CPU must be fast and I want to overclock it at least to 4.2 Ghz yea for faster loading times in games with the SSD.

So finally let me comment that currently I Have and Phenom II x6 1055 which I manage to overclock to 3.5 Ghz with Turbo bus enabled to 3.75 (it says 3.8 but whatever) with similar components 1600mhz memory oc 1666 also Gskills. Yeah I just sold this rig to my best friend so he and I could play together (he will buy stuff for that rig too like a SSD more memory and new PSU).
Will I notice any better performances with this new rig (the intel)?

Thanks in advance for the answers guys (yea btw let me say sorry about grammar, main language is Spanish). And Mod please if this doesn’t correspond here please let me know so I can copy all this stuff and open a thread. :whiste: Cheers!

Moved post into its own thread for the benefit of the OP.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
For 7 dollars more the 3570K is what you want

+1

Now, as to whether or not you'll notice a difference, the answer is probably. Really kinda depends on if you're currently CPU or GPU bound in your selection of games. The SSD should definitely help with loading times and a few games (WoW, similar) actually speed up nicely overall with an SSD.

What video card do you have and what resolution do you game at?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
OP both chips will work out about the same in terms of performance when overclocked. Because Ivy uses less power I would get it. It gets hotter in the core but it probably generates less heat overall as well because all the heat is trapped in the core by the heat spreader.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
If within $20 of each other I'd get the 3570K for its lower power draw and slightly (5-10%) higher IPC. It might not oc quite as well due to thermal problems, but the higher IPC makes up for it. It also comes with a better iGPU in case you are ever in-between video cards and need something to pick up the slack.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
It depends, if you want an EASY overclocking experience and lower heat. Get the Sandybridge

If you're willing to delid the CPU (remove the silver colored cap) for thermal purposes, then get the IvyBridge.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
3570k also supports PCIe 3.0 which might make a difference if you ever SLi/Xfire some higher end cards.

Ninnetyer

Jun 1, 2012
ninnetyer.blogspot.com
+1

Now, as to whether or not you'll notice a difference, the answer is probably. Really kinda depends on if you're currently CPU or GPU bound in your selection of games. The SSD should definitely help with loading times and a few games (WoW, similar) actually speed up nicely overall with an SSD.

What video card do you have and what resolution do you game at?

Well I will buy at the end of the month this card Gigabyte GTX 550Ti in Dual SLI, either that or this one in Single Gigabyte GTX 560Ti, can´t find any GTX650 or GTX660, as you see I prefer buying stuff from gigabyte since those guys have a subsidiary in Peru and the guaranty is the best compared to the others like asus or msi.
Yeah anyway I think I will play at resolutions of 1920 x 1080 since that is the native resolution of my current monitor.
Is not necessary to play with everything maxed out, I'm not that sadistic I care much more for the gameplay, still I need the game to load fast and able to run with 50+ FPS.

So finally I've used my currently motherboard to test an I3 3120 with an AMD 6670 like 3 weeks ago, using VIRTU MVP the only game I saw any performance increase was Bioshock with 40+ fps activating that "technology".
You guys think I should use VIRTU MVP with those Nvidia cards I'm planning to acquire (will I notice any performance gain?) supposedly the current Intel's IGP 3570k is better than the one from the I3, so does it worth the extra heat and the 1gb taked for the IGP?

It depends, if you want an EASY overclocking experience and lower heat. Get the Sandybridge

If you're willing to delid the CPU (remove the silver colored cap) for thermal purposes, then get the IvyBridge.

Yeah I don't think I could do that, it is too risky I couldn't face a fail with that much money expended, I read the procedure but I don't know where to get those awesome thermal paste (liquid metal or something I've read a while ago). So at the end it is so much for me. :$

3570k also supports PCIe 3.0 which might make a difference if you ever SLi/Xfire some higher end cards.

Yeah that is a good point since I'm planning to have this rig for 4 years at least, will just update the graphic card like adding one extra for future dual/tri sli/xfire.

I seen MicroCenter has the i5-3570K for 189$

I wish I live in EEUU, so I can spend less money buying pc components, sadly in South America you have to gain the money in your local currency and then convert it into dollars which btw is something like this for "nuevos soles" $US 1 = S/. 2.73, so in the end I'm spending like S/. 791 for the 3570k, imagine you guys buying processors for $791 and those not being Extreme/Black edition, hurts a little. :p
Don't know if my logic is correct but I see it that way.

Well reading all this I think I'm gonna stick with the 3570k unless you guys want to add something extra any recommendation about the video cards bottleneck, virtu mvp or something similar.

Cheers.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
2500k. I'd be way to tempted to de-lid an Ivy and void the warranty upon witnessing the horrible overclocking temps everyone gets. You get more out of the extra mhz than you do IPC gains due to lack of applicable situations. There are very few areas Ivy has an IPC advantage, combine that with a guaranteed lower clock speed and you have 2 performance negatives working against Ivy.

If you want the better intgreated video go ivy, if you want the faster CPU go sandy.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
^ Yup, what he said. I would avoid Ivy at all costs. You get much more from a 2500k with a higher clock range and lower temps, and it has 95% of the clock-per-clock performance, and faster overclocked performance.

Avoid the heat. Not worth it. Plus a hot deal right now for 169 2500k, and the old 199 2600k deal. Untouchable. Intel really screwed the pooch with 3570/3770

Ninnetyer

Jun 1, 2012
ninnetyer.blogspot.com
Welcome to the forums Ninnetyer! :thumbsup:

Forget to say thanks :awe:

2500k. I'd be way to tempted to de-lid an Ivy and void the warranty upon witnessing the horrible overclocking temps everyone gets. You get more out of the extra mhz than you do IPC gains due to lack of applicable situations. There are very few areas Ivy has an IPC advantage, combine that with a guaranteed lower clock speed and you have 2 performance negatives working against Ivy.

If you want the better intgreated video go ivy, if you want the faster CPU go sandy.

Wont be using the integrated IGP, unless it worth the config with virtu mvp and those Nvidia cards I'm planning to buy.

^ Yup, what he said. I would avoid Ivy at all costs. You get much more from a 2500k with a higher clock range and lower temps, and it has 95% of the clock-per-clock performance, and faster overclocked performance.

Avoid the heat. Not worth it. Plus a hot deal right now for 169 2500k, and the old 199 2600k deal. Untouchable. Intel really screwed the pooch with 3570/3770

How much you think I could OC the 2500k with my Hyper 412 Cooler Master ?

Now I'm thinking buying the 2500k for now and later the next year watch for future stepping for the 4/8 I7's.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
For highest overclock buy yourself a tuniq tower 120 or 120 extreme, 10 to 15c better temps than a Hyper 212/412 and its only $20 dollars more. Just make sure you buy standard height ram not the ones with big heatsinks or it won't fit.

Jun 2, 2012
if you are only going to go to 4.2-4.7 IB is good after that most start to get hotter and then the 2500k is better. but you are only going to go for a 4.2 overclock so for $7 the 3570k is better for you.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

My 3570k is running 4.6Ghz and never breaks 80c. That's not too hot at all... 4.6Ghz 3570k = 4.8Ghz 2500k. Plus I have PCIe 3.0 support now and lower power consumption.

For highest overclock buy yourself a tuniq tower 120 or 120 extreme, 10 to 15c better temps than a Hyper 212/412 and its only $20 dollars more. Just make sure you buy standard height ram not the ones with big heatsinks or it won't fit.

Or the Samsung 30nm memory. It's shorter than the brackets holding it lol.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
My 3570k is running 4.6Ghz and never breaks 80c. That's not too hot at all... 4.6Ghz 3570k = 4.8Ghz 2500k. Plus I have PCIe 3.0 support now and lower power consumption.

Yup, good for you mate. Pci-E 3 does nothing. A 4.9-5.2ghz Sandy (which your 3570 will not do unless you replace the paste) has been beating your Highly overclocked Ivy CPU for 1.5 years now, and costs less cashola.

Who cares about 30 watts when PSU's put out over 1000? Ivy K's are horrible buys compared to Sandy, but are great compared to Faildozer.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Yup, good for you mate. Pci-E 3 does nothing. A 4.9-5.2ghz Sandy (which your 3570 will not do unless you replace the paste) has been beating your Highly overclocked Ivy CPU for 1.5 years now, and costs less cashola.

Who cares about 30 watts when PSU's put out over 1000? Ivy K's are horrible buys compared to Sandy, but are great compared to Faildozer.

IB doesn't need to and 5.2 is hardly guaranteed. I'll take my 30 watt savings, less heat output, PCI3 IB which at 4.6 will easily match SBs performance at higher clocks.

But go ahead and keep trying to convince yourself a worse CPU is better.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

PCIe 3.0 matters if you wanna SLI a couple high end overclocked cards. You can try to spew disinformation all you want. Sandy Bridge is OLD NEWS. There's no reason at all to go that route unless you get a good deal used or something like that. With microcenter deals on the 3570k it's cheaper than the 2500k you bought.

I've had my 3570k to 4.7Ghz and it would have lower power consumption and be just as fast as you're 5Ghz SB. Besides, you cannot guarantee SB will do 5Ghz at all. Quit stretching the truth and picking golden sample results to make your argument seem valid.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
IB doesn't need to and 5.2 is hardly guaranteed. I'll take my 30 watt savings, less heat output, PCI3 IB which at 4.6 will easily match SBs performance at higher clocks.

But go ahead and keep trying to convince yourself a worse CPU is better.

Don't mind Tempered. He's our resident Ivy Hater. He'll preach all day about how much better sandy is.