Question for the survivalists / tinfoil hats / doomsdayers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
There should be some test of reading comprehension before newbs are allowed in P&N.

good way to not address the total decomposition of you're entire worldview in the face of my argument. You're speechless

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
good way to not address the total decomposition of you're entire worldview in the face of my argument. You're speechless

Okay you are a slow one so here is a tip: your post was an attack on the kinds of people in doomsday preppers, not people storing a few weeks food in case of a natural calamity that temporarily upsets local supply lines (which we have seen recently). In your clamor to denigrate you failed to realize nobody in this thread has advertised themselves as the kind of person you laugh at with your idiot buddy, who works in a career he doesn't even respect or feel adds any value to the world.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I am not sure about all the wild and crazy stuff like total government collapse. However I do prepare for a breakdown like what would happen after a major Earthquake or a major pandemic(think repeat of the 1918 flu). The Earthquake would be easy to know it occurs. The pandemic will be a little more difficult to properly identify. I think the movie Contagion does a good job of describing what could happened. I am prepared for about 6 weeks I would say of having to hunker down. I just don't have the money and the room to prepare for a total society breakdown and planning on years(basically forever) of living independently.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
There is no point in stocking up food for a crisis without a means of self-defense. Your neighbor with the weapons doesn't need to stock food, because he is taking yours.

This. There is no reason to stockpile anything if you don't have the means to protect it.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I think everybody should stockpile at least two weeks worth of food and a way to get clean water. Just look at Katrina. It doesn't have to be the government come crashing down for anarchy, just a localized natural disaster that may interrupt supply lines.

Dry beans, water, seasoning and some other stuff that can sit a while.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm definitely a prepper. I have several weeks worth of food and supplies ready to go. I have scouted out several BOLs as they are called, survival bag in the truck, etc...

BUT.

Some of the people I see doing this are OUT THERE. I watched my first episode of "Doomsday Preppers" last night. Good grief, all I could do was chuckle. I prep because I did not like what I saw with Katrina, the tsunami, etc. I want a fighting chance at living through a disaster reasonably well.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
You are all fools. None of what you claim to be worried about will ever happen (i.e. the breakdown of society) but IF IT DID who do you think scoffs at you stockpiling small caliber firearms?

The people who would have the power in the aforementioned (quite impossible) situation are the Military.

If you really want to run around raping and pillaging a post apocalyptic wasteland, your best bet is to join the USMC, US army, or Air force. The rest of you are pissing on a forest fire.

Hate to break it to you but I will tell you first hand that ALL the vehicles, missiles, guns, ammunition, etc used by the US military that you feel give them the upper hand over our puny small arms? Yeah they are all engineered, produced, programmed, assembled and sold to the government by private CIVILIAN CONTRACTORS. That supply chain would break down VERY quickly and create a logistics nightmare that would stop even the US military dead in it's tracks without missiles, fuel, etc.

The military would NOT have a monopoly on said gear for long in a true SHTF situation. A couple government shipments sabotaged by the engineers producing them, a couple Javelins get out to some civilian groups, some convoys or outposts get taken, etc. The playing field would be leveled VERY quickly.

Also grenades, missiles, explosives, eg: heavy military ordinance, is NOT hard to produce or procure, there just isn't a civilian market for it because it's not legal in peace time. In SHTF, nobody will care, those things will be mass produced or stolen and proliferated on the open market by the thousands of people who produce them now for government and agricultural use.

Machine guns aren't hard. In a world where the ATF and FPMITAP is non existant, with access to a *minimum* a dremel and some scrap metal, all my rifles are full auto in less than 24 hours.

And that's assuming the just as unlikely scenario that the entire CIVILIAN VOLUNTEER US military force sides against the civilian population. eg: the very same soldiers that see first hand how important civilian gun rights, etc are in Iraq, etc.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Okay you are a slow one so here is a tip: your post was an attack on the kinds of people in doomsday preppers, not people storing a few weeks food in case of a natural calamity that temporarily upsets local supply lines (which we have seen recently). In your clamor to denigrate you failed to realize nobody in this thread has advertised themselves as the kind of person you laugh at with your idiot buddy, who works in a career he doesn't even respect or feel adds any value to the world.

Sweet rationalization, wtf do you need guns for then? Do you think wild roaming bands of cannibals will be wandering the countryside after a "temporary upset in supply lines". And wtf is a supply line? Are you an army?

Funny how as soon as somebody points a flashlight at the blatantly obvious lack of logic in any doomsday rational you immediately try to pawn your stockpiling of guns and food as "natural disaster" supplies. How embarrassing!

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Hate to break it to you but I will tell you first hand that ALL the vehicles, missiles, guns, ammunition, etc used by the US military are engineered, produced, programmed, assembled and sold to the government by private CIVILIAN CONTRACTORS.

The military would NOT have a monopoly on said gear for long in a true SHTF situation. A couple government shipments sabotaged by the engineers producing them, a couple Javelins get out to some civilian groups, some convoys or outposts get taken, etc. The playing field would be leveled VERY quickly.

And that's assuming the just as unlikely scenario that the entire VOLUNTEER US military force sides against the civilian population. eg: the very same soldiers that see first hand how important civilian gun rights, etc are in Iraq, etc.
I hate to break it to you but you know absolutely nothing about the military. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Newport News are not "private civilian contractors". They are defense contractors, and while they are private they do not deal with civilians.

This is actually the funniest post I've ever seen. "Government shipments sabotaged by engineers"? "Javelins get out to civilians"? You would just blow yourself or your friends up with a Javelin, and news to you my friend my friend a Javelin ain't gonna do shit agains a squadron of fighter bombers or Apaches or even one platoon of marines.

You think any of these military personnel are going to ditch their units for YOU? Hilarious! They will pick up their families and crush you if you resist. Whatever insane political beliefs some soldiers have, they don't f#@k around when it comes to chain of command loyalty. They will blow your whiny civilian face off if they're commander tells them, and rightly so your face is probably hideous.

I personally have actually never read a funnier post! Seriously, it's like you've distilled every campy notion a 13yo would have about the end of the world into one scenario!. Priceless

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I hate to break it to you but you know absolutely nothing about the military. Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Newport News are not "private civilian contractors". They are defense contractors, and while they are private they do not deal with civilians.

BLAH BLAH BLAH I JERK OFF TO AUTHORITARIAN FANTASIES AND CRUSHING CIVILIANS

They don't deal with civilians because we currently have rule of law... and those items are illegal for civilians.

Defense contractors are run and operated by... drum roll... wait for it...

Civilian employees. DUH.

And they aren't going to take kindly to being fucked over or watching their friends get run over by the tanks they built. At the very least nobody is showing up to work anymore because the world is on fire, where is the military going to get it's mighty missiles and fuel for it's planes now?

Supply line in a conflict is EVERYTHING, and without civilians showing up to work to deliver those weapons, a military isn't going to get very far.

But keep puffing your chest instead of looking at the whole picture. Go play your Call of Duty games and pretend you're a god crushing civilians with your unlimited ammo that you pull out of your ass when you respawn and don't worry about where it came from.

And I assure you I am more familiar with some of those weapons than an average grunt that gets trained on them in 5 minutes with the short and easy version of the field instructions written with small words and pretty pictures, by civilians coincidentally, specifically for said grunts eg: "place icon on target, press and hold button when beeps".

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
In some sort of SHTF senario the idea that the military will be running around en masse to pillage etc is ludicrous. Some would probably be deployed to areas of unrest. Others would probably hunker down at, or around their base, at least until the money, food and fuel stopped flowing (or supplies were exhausted). Eventually, many would probably migrate home to help parents and siblings etc.

Fern

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Sweet rationalization, wtf do you need guns for then? Do you think wild roaming bands of cannibals will be wandering the countryside after a "temporary upset in supply lines". And wtf is a supply line? Are you an army?

Funny how as soon as somebody points a flashlight at the blatantly obvious lack of logic in any doomsday rational you immediately try to pawn your stockpiling of guns and food as "natural disaster" supplies. How embarrassing!
Oh, hon, can you take a moment?

In my first post:
I think personal defense is the last thing to worry about
and then
Second, a food crisis will occur well before mass home invasions by starving bandits. A mossberg 500 costs $300, but you are not likely to ever need it.

That feeling you have now is the feeling a person has after they realize they just argued points with somebody who never made them. It's not a very good feeling is it? Now, as I said before, your reading comprehension sucks.

If you prefer the word chain to line you can use "supply chains" if it will make you stop raging.

You're far too angry and mad over this topic. Your crying is completely unnecessary and you are simply coming apart at the seams over this. I cannot imagine why.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You are all fools. None of what you claim to be worried about will ever happen (i.e. the breakdown of society) but IF IT DID who do you think scoffs at you stockpiling small caliber firearms?

The people who would have the power in the aforementioned (quite impossible) situation are the Military.

If you really want to run around raping and pillaging a post apocalyptic wasteland, your best bet is to join the USMC, US army, or Air force. The rest of you are pissing on a forest fire.

I have a friend who works for a company that makes bulletproof vests and sells civilian versions of several different automatic weapons that can easily be converted and he doesn't even own a gun. We always joke about how stupid and insane his customers are (preppers). I wonder if you realize you're all marks, suckers.

You obviously missed the whole Iraq War fiasco huh?

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Are you guys talking about a global meltdown? A complete breakdown of all civilization? If you're not then step one would be just getting out of dodge. The idea that we are going to be facing some kind of Walking Dead scenario is a bit far fetched.

With that said I was in New Orleans right after the Hurricane and what those people went through was total shit. I was also in Thailand after the Tsunami and that was even worse. I think there's something to be said about having lots of food and water stored and ready. Depending on where you live you can make do with a bunch of canned food and a steripen if you have a river nearby. Warm blankets and medicine is a good idea too.

This crazy idea that you are going to need to defend yourself from roaming people out to steal your cans of tuna and beans though is really going a bit overboard. In Thailand people worked together to survive. Katrina they were mostly fucked since nobody came to help. So the question you should really be asking is what do you do if the government is pretty much sticking it to you? Zombies be damned. What do you do if you live in an area that the government would ignore? If you're in CA you're probably safe. Have enough food and water for the big one. If you're in Louisiana or Mississippi, you probably should have boats, food, water, guns, generators, etc. Better yet move to a better part of the country.

If you truly believe that the end of civilization could be in the near future then I would suggest moving now. The world is a big place and I for one would not live somewhere where I believed it was possible for a complete breakdown of society. Zombies be damned!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I hate to break it to you but you know absolutely nothing about the military.

Apparently neither do you. If you'd like I'll ask my buddy in Lufkin who is intimately familiar with a wide range of missile guidance systems his opinion.

You think any of these military personnel are going to ditch their units for YOU? Hilarious! They will pick up their families and crush you if you resist. Whatever insane political beliefs some soldiers have, they don't f#@k around when it comes to chain of command loyalty. They will blow your whiny civilian face off if they're commander tells them, and rightly so your face is probably hideous.

Only in your blindly fascist authoritarian world. the fact is that if there was a SHTF scenario of that magnitude this country would no longer have a cohesive military. Your "chain of command" loyalty wet dream flies right out the window when orders are given to start firing on your neighbors.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Any recommendations on food that can be stored long term? I wouldn't mind having a month or two supply, just in case, but the whole rotation of canned goods seems like a hassle. What about a family sized water filter? I'm not on a well, so I'd have to find a natural source of water - a dirty stream a mile away or rain barrels.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Any recommendations on food that can be stored long term? I wouldn't mind having a month or two supply, just in case, but the whole rotation of canned goods seems like a hassle. What about a family sized water filter? I'm not on a well, so I'd have to find a natural source of water - a dirty stream a mile away or rain barrels.

Get a couple cases of MRE.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

You can buy a big bucket of dried food entrees that have a 25 year shelf life. I have never tried any myself but my prepper coworker says mountain house has the best flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House...mountain+house

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Tipping point for most survivalists is probably when a minority moves into their neighborhood.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Longtime residents of Hawaii, who have gone through the dock worker strikes, the hurricanes and tsunamis and have realized that we're an isolated island state in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, have made it a habit to stock up on foodstuffs with long shelf lives and rotate as needed, solar panels, generators, alternative comm gear and have networked with neighbors, friends and relatives to form loose associations that provide security in hard times.

With nowhere to run and hide, it's always in the back of our minds to keep well prepared, but not be conspicuous about it. ;)

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
You obviously missed the whole Iraq War fiasco huh?
P&N's latest fuck knob apparently also slept through news of Katrina and Sandy. US gov recommends 72 hours of supply for food (http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit); CDC says aim for 2 weeks for water (http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html), but these events' impacts lasted longer than that (the 72 hours).
White rice lasts many years and is very cheap. Honey's shelf life is pretty much infinity. The same can be said about basically all canned goods; they won't spoil, although they will very slowly over time lose their nutritional value. Still, cans of tuna, beans, all these can be kept for many years. Oatmeal is also goof for many years, as is sugar. Carbs are particularly cheap and easy to store, so you should have some protein sources.

When power goes out so do water pumps, so your taps' source won't replenish. Storing a substantial amount of water is difficult. Purifying water is quite easy, though. Even if you have a stream nearby if you keep a jug of bleach around it's enough to purify a crap ton of water, using chlorine, the same thing that purifies your tap water. http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html

Last edited:

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
Biggest threat is China, during a collapse you will see Chinese ships at our ports unloading military personnel and equipment. After the takeover, there will be ships bound to the USA filled with millions of Chinese who will move to the "Colonies".

China has a big interest in its investment, just like any company it would be a hostile takeover. They are far from a silent partner.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
When power goes out so do water pumps, so your taps' source won't replenish. Storing a substantial amount of water is difficult. Purifying water is quite easy, though. Even if you have a stream nearby if you keep a jug of bleach around it's enough to purify a crap ton of water, using chlorine, the same thing that purifies your tap water. http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe_water/personal.html

Water heater and toilet tanks.

If you have advanced warning, can also fill tubs and washers.

Assuming of course the cause of the scenario isn't or doesn't result in contaminated ground water.

Last edited: