Quality attachable mic for headphones?

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
A while back, I used some Shure mic attached to a stand. Quickly got sick of having this phallus hovering in front of my face, so I'm looking for something more practical.

Apparently, there are mics that you can attach to your headphones. I've the Seinnheiser 598 SE, and boy does it sound good. Cost £120, and I'd rather not splurge that kind of money again just to get similar headphones that I can talk into.

Couple of ones I found were the Modmic, and the V-Moda. Also found the Doro HS71 Pro, which is a throat mic you wear around your neck, and it picks up the sound from inside you. No idea about the quality of any of these.

So, eh, aye. What's the best bang-for-buck, headphones-comaptible mic around? Would prefer it to have a USB connection, by and by.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Wait, this is for your computer? If so, skip the mic and get a real desktop mic. If you're using the Shure I think you are (SM57 or 58), those are designed to be right up on, not on a desk (hence the need for a stand and something to be right in your face).

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowbal...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V6S148HRGCYP7WTHBKPD

Pick one of those up, put it on your desk facing you, and forget that it exists. I use the Blue Microphones Yeti (higher version of this) and my buddy uses the Snowball, they sound absolutely amazing.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Aye, it's for my desktop, but deskspace is kinda limited. That, and my computer's a bit loud. Would prefer to just have something I can strap to my headphones and call it a day.

Unless it's got some sorta noise cancellation, in which case, I'd be tempted.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Aye, it's for my desktop, but deskspace is kinda limited. That, and my computer's a bit loud. Would prefer to just have something I can strap to my headphones and call it a day.

Unless it's got some sorta noise cancellation, in which case, I'd be tempted.

Cardioid mics are directional, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with background noise. I'd give it a shot imo.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
modic 4.0 comes in two flavors Omni or uni directional. Modmic 5.0 has both mics and a switch, but come at a higher price.

I can definitely recommend modmic 4.0

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Not sure what you are using a mic for but I've found the Sony ECM33 to be a decent gaming mic and add-on mic for cheaper digicams.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Not sure what you are using a mic for but I've found the Sony ECM33 to be a decent gaming mic and add-on mic for cheaper digicams.

For teamspeak when playing with the lads. Not going to be screaming my lungs out, but I defo' want good clarity. That, and I don't want some mic sitting in the middle of my desk. Monitor's not exactly tall.

modic 4.0 comes in two flavors Omni or uni directional. Modmic 5.0 has both mics and a switch, but come at a higher price.

Aye, looks like the Modmic 4 is the way to go.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I play with two friends, and I'm the only one who never gets comments on volume.

Jodiuh

Oct 25, 2005

I had the 1.0 and even that was MILES above a Zalman I had been using. I would also advise unidirectional so only your voice is heard. Omnidirectional will make using "voice activated" modes difficult.