q6600 - still viable for gaming? or is it time to upgrade?

Which option would you choose?

• Buy 2500k right now

• Buy ivy bridge in a few months when it comes out

• Stick with Q6600 and wait for what comes after ivy brdge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
It has easily been the best cpu ive ever owned, but im wondering if its finally time to upgrade.

Right now I don't think its really affecting my gaming performance, but i guess i could be wrong. How much of a performance increase can i expect from upgrading to a 2500k or even waiting for ivy bridge?

I know waiting for the newest tech is a dumb concept because there will always be something else on the horizon, but if i can help it, i really want to get in on a platform that seems like it will last (like my Q6600 did).

Im using a 560ti btw, and play most of my games at 1080p. I have a 3D monitor, but i almost never use 3d, i really just like the smoothness if 120hz.

I guess the question may just come down to: Im due for an upgrade, but I can wait if i have to, since im getting OK performance now. After hearing about the overclocking abilities of ivy bridge, should i wait for that? Or can i make it one more cycle after that?

One other factor i have to consider is that my 2nd computer that I have hooked up to my TV is REALLY is need of an upgrade. Its running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+. So i would move my current CPU and mobo to that rig, and give myself the new one.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
If it is not overclocked, it is probably too slow for higher end settings. But is it still viable at 2.4Ghz? Yes, it is. Overclocked at 3Ghz, it is still pretty decent for 90% of the stuff out there. With that said, an SB would be a huge upgrade. Althought with IVB close (hopefully) you might want to just wait.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yeah what ArchAngel777 said, at stock its going to hold you back in some games, overclock it if possible.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I voted wait for Ivy, I'm in the exact same situation with a similar config. I have my Q6700 (same CPU as Q6600 G0 except 2.67GHz stock) at 3.3GHz with a 560Ti factory OC'd. Runs BF3 on all high (shadows medium) no AA, no AO, 16X AF, vsync off with quite playable frames, 40-60fps.

OC your CPU if you haven't, but I assume you are with a Tuniq.

Latest rumours have the Ivy quad desktop parts launching April 29, with the Z77 motherboards possibly on April 9. Another advantage of waiting is Nvidia might actually get Kepler parts out by then, so you can evaluate the GPU situation.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
i am still using my Q6600. Have upgraded to 8GB of ram about a year ago and a new cooler. Also using a GTX570 on a 27" screen (1920x ect). A SSD is also in the system, but that has been there for a LONG time (80GB G2, 600GB v-raptor programs).

Most games I can still run high enough not to care. But I was about to upgrade to a 2500K about September last year, but held off as a part I wanted was out of stock.

In short, expected CPU increase is meant to be in the 80-90% improvement area before overclocking IIRC (vs the q6600), but most games recently are not pushing that hard. (I got the gtx570 in prep for crysis 2, that was a let down, I could have used the older 8800GT).

Now, I was looking at SB-E, but wanted IVB numbers before deciding (dates keep getting pushed back). At this rate, if the computer keeps going, I will either be IVB about mid year (cpu availability and hopefully some feature rich motherboards) but upgrading is more of a "want" than a need.

I might just spend the money and get a nice 240GB SSD instead and a good sata 3 controller instead. Or look at upgrading some other computer in the house.

edit: I started overclocking with the older stock cooler (replaced when RAM was upgraded), but for some reason, 3GHz with DDR2-667 gave a stable OC, the newer DDR2-800, no over clocking is working (BOIS wants to over clock to DDR2-1066 odd and can not limit it). Getting a new board seems pointless though just to over clock. Might as well upgrade.

Last edited:

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Here's some benches from Hardware.fr

314t1qx.jpg

2ef73br.jpg

1z5olg6.jpg

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
No time like the present....there will always be something bigger and better...To that end, and since I LOVE my 2500k (which I upgraded from a q6600 that was also a rock star in terms of stability and overclockability), I voted "Buy 2500k right now."

But an even better option might be to wait for Ivy Bridge to come out, and then buy a 2500k or a 2600k on the super cheap, given that you will pay a premium for IB for a while after launch, and the expected performance increase from SB isn't that great, maybe 10% under ideal conditions, whereas you're going to see at least an 80% increase, if not more, from q6600 to 2500k. Just my $.02.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
OP TBH the Q6600 is still fine for most games, and really quad cores still have a lot of untapped potential seeing as most programs are still single threaded.

The 2500K is a compelling upgrade that has been tempting me with a Phenom II X4 setup.

If you see a $200 combo deal at microcenter for a 2500K setup, I say jump on it if you live near one of their stores. You could sell what you have and it would be a cheap upgrade that would more than double your CPU power.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
If you "want" to upgrade but don't really play any games or run programs that are slow on your Q6600, might as well wait until Haswell.

But before you do anything what in the WORLD are you doing with a stock Q6600 on that wonderful DS3L + Tuniq Tower setup of yours?

That exact setup got me 3.4ghz overclock on my G0 Q6600 with ease. That's 42% more frequency for free. Something to play around until IVY Bridge launch. If you intend to play very CPU demanding games such as Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm or Diablo 3, then see if an overclocked Q6600 is adequate for your needs (> 35 fps), if not grab IVB. Otherwise, keep running what you have unless you want to upgrade. :p

But ya, overclock on the DS3L is a breeze.

Off the top of my head,

Graphics Booster: AUTO
CPU Clock Ratio: 9x (Odd multipliers work best for 65nm CPU overclocking)
Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Freq: 350 FSB (for B3 stepping), 375 FSB (for G0 stepping) <Use CPU-Z to check stepping>
PCI Express Frequency: Locked at 100
CIA 2: DISABLED
Performance Enhance: STANDARD
System Memory Multiplier: 2.0 (lowest possible I believe to get DDR2-800 RAM at 400 FSB)

System Voltage Control: MANUAL
DDR2 Overvoltage Control: +0.2V (stock is 1.8V) <can lower that later if you run RAM below DDR2-800, but we want to take out RAM instability out of the equation especially if you have all 4 DIMMs occupied> Also relax timing to 5-5-5-15
PCI Express Overvoltage Control: Normal
FSB Overvoltage Control: +0.1V <see more detailed breakdown below>
(G)MCH Overvoltage Control: +0.1V <see more detailed breakdown below>

CPU Voltage Control: 1.35V to start (if system is stable, lower it.. if not stable raise it to 1.375 but not more).

At 6x multiplier, my G0 Q6600 needed

FSB Termination Voltage (Vtt) and MCH Voltage guidance

FSB +0.1, MCH Voltage +0.1 to get to 410 FSB
FSB + 0.2, MCH + 0.2 to get to 425 FSB
FSB + 0.3, MCH + 0.3 to get to 438 FSB (not recommended but just to show you how far DS3L can go on 65nm Quads).

Also, if you are not too lazy, take off the Northbridge heatsink and put some new TIM on it, AS5, or Tuniq TX-2 or something similar if you have some. It dropped my temperatures to just 47-48*C for motherboard temp @ 100% CPU load (I think it was hitting high 50s before that small change).

TuniqonDS3L.jpg

3.0-3.4ghz is within your reach with your cooler - 55-60*C at 100% load should be doable.

Let's get this party started!

FrontPanelOffvsClosed-ThermaltakeSo.jpg

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Not sure why everyone is assuming im not overclocking. I mean i even mentioned ivy bridges overclocking potential over sandy bridge, so why would i not OC my 2.4ghz Q6600, and want to upgrade a CPU that i want to buy?

Yes for the moment i think im gonna stick it out with my current CPU (currently @3.15GHZ, had it up to 3.6, but its more stable at 3.15 - not a cooling issue, but never could get my voltages right, i could run Prime95 for like 24 hours, but once i ended the test i would freeze up. From my understanding this was a result of v-drop or v-droop. Either way its besides the point.)

I dont plan on selling the Q6600, because my 2nd computer's CPU is extremely old, so its just being transferred. But i dont play too many games on that.

I know for sure i can wait until ivy bridge comes out and then assess prices then, but i think the real question is - can i wait until the next cycle after that.

How long until we see intels next offering? I know sandy bridge came out early 2011, and ivy looks to be about mid 2012, so can i expect something new possibly the end of 2013? Looking at it that way, it makes me think theres no way i can hold out that long, since ive had the upgrade itch for the past few years. That would mean that in 2013 - i would be using a processor that is 7 years old....

To whoever said ivy bridge would be released in April - it got pushed back at least until may from my understanding, possibly later.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Not sure why everyone is assuming im not overclocking.

Sorry, generally it's reflected in your signature at the bottom. My bad for making the wrong assumption.

I know for sure i can wait until ivy bridge comes out and then assess prices then, but i think the real question is - can i wait until the next cycle after that.

Well that at least clarifies that you should wait for IVB over SB. 5.0ghz overclocks on 1.27-1.30V sound nice. I think 5.3-5.4ghz should be doable. Since you waited this long, might as well get native USB 3.0 and a cooler running/higher overclocking IVB. If you see a nice sale on 2600K though such as $229.99 at MC, then grab that.

How long until we see intels next offering?

Current rumors point to Q2 2013 or 1H of 2013. All new Socket 1150 but Socket 1155/1156 coolers are backwards compatible. It will also use DDR3-1600. So worst case, sell your IVB+ Mobo and carry over your CPU cooler + DDR3.

Again, I don't think anyone can decide for you. I mean if you owned Q6600 that long, it sounds like you hold your parts for a long time. IVB will be the last possible CPU on socket 1155, so get that and next time do a full out platform upgrade. Just don't expect any drop-in CPU upgrades on Z68/Z77 since Socket 1155 is end of the line.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
If you "want" to upgrade but don't really play any games or run programs that are slow on your Q6600, might as well wait until Haswell.

But before you do anything what in the WORLD are you doing with a stock Q6600 on that wonderful DS3L + Tuniq Tower setup of yours?

That exact setup got me 3.4ghz overclock on my G0 Q6600 with ease. That's 42% more frequency for free. Something to play around until IVY Bridge launch. If you intend to play very CPU demanding games such as Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm or Diablo 3, then see if an overclocked Q6600 is adequate for your needs (> 35 fps), if not grab IVB. Otherwise, keep running what you have unless you want to upgrade. :p

But ya, overclock on the DS3L is a breeze.

Off the top of my head,

Graphics Booster: AUTO
CPU Clock Ratio: 9x (Odd multipliers work best for 65nm CPU overclocking)
Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Freq: 350 FSB (for B3 stepping), 375 FSB (for G0 stepping) <Use CPU-Z to check stepping>
PCI Express Frequency: Locked at 100
CIA 2: DISABLED
Performance Enhance: STANDARD
System Memory Multiplier: 2.0 (lowest possible I believe to get DDR2-800 RAM at 400 FSB)

System Voltage Control: MANUAL
DDR2 Overvoltage Control: +0.2V (stock is 1.8V) <can lower that later if you run RAM below DDR2-800, but we want to take out RAM instability out of the equation especially if you have all 4 DIMMs occupied> Also relax timing to 5-5-5-15
PCI Express Overvoltage Control: Normal
FSB Overvoltage Control: +0.1V <see more detailed breakdown below>
(G)MCH Overvoltage Control: +0.1V <see more detailed breakdown below>

CPU Voltage Control: 1.35V to start (if system is stable, lower it.. if not stable raise it to 1.375 but not more).

At 6x multiplier, my G0 Q6600 needed

FSB Termination Voltage (Vtt) and MCH Voltage guidance

FSB +0.1, MCH Voltage +0.1 to get to 410 FSB
FSB + 0.2, MCH + 0.2 to get to 425 FSB
FSB + 0.3, MCH + 0.3 to get to 438 FSB (not recommended but just to show you how far DS3L can go on 65nm Quads).

Also, if you are not too lazy, take off the Northbridge heatsink and put some new TIM on it, AS5, or Tuniq TX-2 or something similar if you have some. It dropped my temperatures to just 47-48*C for motherboard temp @ 100% CPU load (I think it was hitting high 50s before that small change).

TuniqonDS3L.jpg

3.0-3.4ghz is within your reach with your cooler - 55-60*C at 100% load should be doable.

Let's get this party started!

FrontPanelOffvsClosed-ThermaltakeSo.jpg

I've got G0 stepping, and when i pruchased my tuniq tower, it was absolutely awesome, i think my fan inside it is crapping out though. Should i replace the fan inside or just pick up this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 and then use that on my new CPU as well, since it works with ivy bridge? If i should just get a fan, which one would u recommend to replace it?

I actually have a small fan attached to my north bridge with a zip tie. How hard is it to remove and then reinstall my NB if i want to put some AS5 on there?

Lastly I have 2 cases right now. An Antec p180 and a 900. I switched to the 900 since i was fine with just 3.15GHZ, but how much of a difference would it make to switch back?

As of right now it can handle anything i can throw at it, so i really dont NEED to upgrade. Since Ivy bridge comes out in probably 3 months, i feel like i either should upgrade then, or try to wait out the next cycle. I just dont know if i can make another 2 years. Especially my other computer running a Athlon x2 4200+.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
IMO the 2500k is the logical upgrade path for the Q6600. I did that and don't regret it at all. An extra 1.2Ghz in speed (overclocked) plus easily superior IPC. What's not to like? Like the Q6600, I expect the 2500k to be long lived.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Similar situation here but with an AMD CPU.

When Skyrim came out, I thought it was time to upgrade, as the frame rate was dropping to the low 20's sometimes. But then it turned out Bethesda had compiled the game with the wrong settings, and after the latest patch, it never drops below 30-35 FPS even at Ultra settings with Performance SSAO.
All other games and applications also run great on my system.

If everything runs great, there's really no need to upgrade just for the sake of it. IB won't be radically different from SB, but since it isn't very far away in time, you might as well wait. I'm considering getting an Ivy Bridge CPU when they come out, but I've not decided yet.

thelastjuju

Nov 6, 2011
Q6600 still has plenty of life.. you'd be a fool to upgrade it IMO.

All you need to do is put a modest overclock on it, since the stock speed (2.4ghz) is a little lower than some might feel comfortable with.

Upgrade to a comfier PC chair.. the last thing every single person considers :D

Mar 10, 2006
I upgraded from a Q6600 to an i7 860 -- it was awesome. I then upgraded from an i7 860 to (after a bunch of intermediates) a 980X...it wasn't as awesome as the move from Q6600 to 860.

2500K all the way, dude. When IVB hits, HSW will already be on its way...and Broadwell...and Skylake...and Skymont....etc.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
OP, might as well wait a little longer. Just OC that Q6600.
I wouldn't have upgraded to my i7 920 @ 4GHz if I had a Q6600 instead of a E6600.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
OP, might as well wait a little longer. Just OC that Q6600.
I wouldn't have upgraded to my i7 920 @ 4GHz if I had a Q6600 instead of a E6600.

ITS OVERCLOCKED!!!! lol

I think now its just down to cave now and buy one (when IVB comes out), or wait a few more years for the next generation.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
ITS OVERCLOCKED!!!! lol

I think now its just down to cave now and buy one (when IVB comes out), or wait a few more years for the next generation.

I too think you should overclock it....

LOL

It's a great chip, keep running it and either wait for next generation, or wait until you find a deal you can't pass up on a 2500k :)

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Should i replace the fan inside or just pick up this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 and then use that on my new CPU as well, since it works with ivy bridge?

If you can find a cheap $5-10 fan for the Tuniq, and want to hold out until Haswell, do that. Tuniq is still a very good cooler. But if you are going to spend $15-20 on a new fan, might as well get a new cooler . You'll be able to transfer the cooler over to Z77 motherboard on Socket 1155 since I am pretty sure the Tuniq won't work on Socket 1155 if you get Ivy. Also, 1150 is backwards compatible with 1155 socket. If you buy a cooler that's compatible with Socket 1155/1156 now, if you decide to skip Ivy Bridge, you should still be good to go later on. But this got me thinking: if you transfer the Q6600 to your 2nd rig, you'll want to keep it at 3.15ghz I suppose and carry over the Tuniq?

*Corsair A70 comes with 2 fans! for $30 after rebate* Sounds like you can get that cooler and keep the Tuniq working for your 2ndary system by using one of those fans for the Tuniq.

If judging based on budget coolers alone, the CM212 you linked is good too. It has a version with a better fan called CM212 Evo. If you want a very silent rig, Thermalright Macho HR-02 or Thermalright True Spirit 140 are good (but they are large/tall, and will cost about $40-50 with shipping and all). Another notable stand-out for $30 is True Spirit 120. Macho HR-02 or True Spirit 140 will give performance within 90% of the best such as Noctua NH-D14, Silver Arrow, Phanteks, Corsair H100.

There are so many great budget coolers, it's hard to choose. If you find a sale, Scythe Yasya, Xigmatek Gaia, Zalman CNPS10x Performa, etc.

If i should just get a fan, which one would u recommend to replace it?

Cougar 120mm (with or without fan control; depends on what you want).
Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP14 or AP15 if you can find it in stock
Noiseblocker SilentPro PL2
Noiseblocker Black Silent with PWM control.
^ You can look within the families to find the balance of noise and air flow. If you pay extra, you can get a fan with PWM control within some of these series.

Sensible budget choices
Yate Loon
Thermalright TR-FDB-1600 Fluid Dynamic

I actually have a small fan attached to my north bridge with a zip tie. How hard is it to remove and then reinstall my NB if i want to put some AS5 on there?

It's not hard. I just used a flat-head screwdriver to push the 2 white pins out from the bottom of the motherboard. Just be careful. Once you push them, the heatsink will still be attached. You just need to twist it and it should pop off. But honestly, if you are already stable at 3.15ghz and you have a fan on top, it's not worth the hassle. It sounds to me like northbridge temperatures are not impeding your CPU overclock. You can always use EasyTune to check your System motherboard temperature. Hardware Monitor is a neat program too.

Lastly I have 2 cases right now. An Antec p180 and a 900. I switched to the 900 since i was fine with just 3.15GHZ, but how much of a difference would it make to switch back?

P180/182/183 are some of the worst for case airflow. Stay with Antec 900.

Should you ever choose to upgrade your case sometime in the future, the link above, and this Review should quickly make you realize how important case airflow is for a modern system.

Unfortunately, a lot of people buy high-end coolers and then put it into a case with horrible airflow....Antec 900 is good though.

As of right now it can handle anything i can throw at it, so i really dont NEED to upgrade. Since Ivy bridge comes out in probably 3 months, i feel like i either should upgrade then, or try to wait out the next cycle. I just dont know if i can make another 2 years.

It's not 2 years. It'll probably be 12-15 months until Haswell. However, Haswell will use DDR3-1600 and your Socket 1155/1156 cooler should be backwards compatible. So worst case, get IVB, transfer Q6600 over. If in 15 months you feel the urge to upgrade, you can always dump IVB+mobo and carry over the CPU heatsink and the RAM.

Just make sure to get DDR3-1600 at 1.25 / 1.35 or 1.5V.

Right now the premium for 1.25 or 1.35V ram is very small. I also prefer modules with low heatsinks so that I have the option to throw a massive CPU cooler later.

I threw in a variety for you to come back to later on.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series - 1.35V
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline - 1.35V
CORSAIR Vengeance Low Profile - 1.35V
G.SKILL Sniper Series - 1.35V
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage - 1.25V :wub:

The *Dark Horse* - Samsung 30nm DDR3, but it sells out.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I am waiting :p

But if you have a good home for that Q6600 and access to decent deal on a SB/IVB? Sure, sounds like a good move to me.

A good friend of mine stepped from a Q6600 into a i7 920 (both @ stock) and was thrilled with the difference so I am sure it will be noticeable.