PSN down. Update8: Welcome Back Package is Live

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
The fear that someone stole your data.

What exactly is fear worth? If you go to the zoo and the snakes scare you, do they owe you damages? Fear is abstract and varies from person to person. In addition there is no way to prove your actively scared, since anxiety and fear share the same physiological symptoms.

There are only two things that Sony "might" be liable for. First, any credit card fraud attempted on you, and you would have to prove that the fraud is directly due to Sony's negligence, which means you need to prove that the person who used it actually received it either directly from Sony through hacking or from someone who acquired it through hacking Sony. It's not enough to point at coincidence and blame Sony. They have really smart lawyers.

Second, loss of access to electronic goods purchased through PSN. Since you don't pay for PSN, how to you declare damages? Not being able to play a game is hardly a viable attack, since Sony has already stated they will make good and any court will look at Sony as acting in good faith. Netflix and other streaming services are accessible in other ways so that won't work.

Due to the nature of PSN, I doubt any judge would consider our lives scarred due to PSN being missing from them. In the end, any serious monetary damages are never going to happen. People should be upset though, and naturally you should vote with your dollar by not buying Sony products in the future.

Myself, I'm selling my PS3 and all my games, closing my PSN account and washing my hands of it. PSN was merely the last straw. I don't blame Sony completely for this since they were the victim, even if they were complacent.

Justinian

Apr 19, 2011
Word is Japan PSN Is Back Online

After nearly 14 days without PSN, Sony has confirmed that Japanese subscribers can log into their PSN acounts and play!

In a chatroom from PlayStation Junkie user DesertCat09 made a phone call with Sony and they told him that some parts of Japan are back online and they were working to bring back the PSN region by region.

They did not, however, confirm that UK and US servers would be back up tonight but expect to see your friends list within a couple of days at the most.

http://igogaming.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/japan-psn-is-back-online/

I'll attempt to confirm this when I get home tonight.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
there is a theory that this is an inside job... since sony fired about 200 people from their online division about a few days before the psn attack. or rather, gave them 2 week notice... and they are expected to "work" for 2 weeks before they leave.

I saw that movie,.. Office Space,.. great great movie.
Now can I please have my stapler back?

KrAzYaZnFLiP808

May 4, 2011
Well I havent went on PSN network in about a year. I dont remember buying stuff online, and inputting a credit card. All I can hope is that everybody who did, please be aware, and change out your card. Hopefully they wont be charging anything unuseful to your card, but check to be safe. I did receive an email which I registered PSN with, and it stated to do these things. So I suggest it aswell.

Oct 19, 2000
I've already got my replacement card and PIN after requesting a new number last Wednesday. I'm all set.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
What's the point of that as anyone can make such idiotic videos?

Last I had checked they have had ones saying they are responsible also.

I thought they only claimed responsibility for the DoS attacks, not actually hacking into the Sony servers?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I thought they only claimed responsibility for the DoS attacks, not actually hacking into the Sony servers?

The thing is anyone can make such videos so linking to youtube like that is silly.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It`s Anon`s fault that they're implicated, if they didn't do the attack before no one would even think about blaming them. They only have themselves to blame for getting implicated for this one.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
In the last month:

Playstation + membership: $50
160gb PS3 slim $300
PS Bluetooth headset $50
Mortal Kombat $60
Socom 4 $60
Socom 4 Full Deployment $150
Move charging stand $30

$700+ taxes to get my girlfriend up and running to play socom 4 and MK with me.
PSN going down THE DAY AFTER RELEASE: Pricey

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Blaming "Anonymous" for something is stupid. Anonymous can be anyone who Anonymously claims they are. As far as I know there is no single organized group of people who can be identified as members. So saying Anonymous did it is as good as saying "some person" did it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Blaming "Anonymous" for something is stupid. Anonymous can be anyone who Anonymously claims they are. As far as I know there is no single organized group of people who can be identified as members. So saying Anonymous did it is as good as saying "some person" did it.

Well that's the way they choose to represent themselves so that's just how it goes.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Well there is a lesson to learn in this. If you want to be a hacker then go to school and get a legit job writing code for legit purposes. Otherwise, you are putting your freedom at risk. I have zero sympathy for any of the people involved in this, including the people who weren't involved but regularly "work" with those people. As I said, I spent nearly a mortgage payment on the 19th and they've ruined it for me and my family who worked at legit jobs to pay for that stuff.

Sephire

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2011
In the last month:

Playstation + membership: $50
160gb PS3 slim $300
PS Bluetooth headset $50
Mortal Kombat $60
Socom 4 $60
Socom 4 Full Deployment $150
Move charging stand $30

$700+ taxes to get my girlfriend up and running to play socom 4 and MK with me.
PSN going down THE DAY AFTER RELEASE: Pricey

Worthy investment if you can have your GF/Wife to play 1st person shooters WITH YOU.

*Jealous rage*

Mine gets "dizzy" :(