PSN down. Update8: Welcome Back Package is Live

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
You could get a Blu-ray player for $60 at Newegg, and there are PC games.

I can understand people buying a PS3, but most of their other products are usually mediocre and overpriced.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
The way I figure it, at $300, I'm getting a $150 BRD player and a $150 gaming console.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
PS3 isn't overpriced.

He didn't say that. He said that most of their other products are mediocre and over priced, implying that the ps3 is (at the very least) fairly priced and of respectable quality.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
He didn't say that. He said that most of their other products are mediocre and over priced, implying that the ps3 is (at the very least) fairly priced and of respectable quality.

Didn't it take the PS3 Slim for that though?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

I have all consoles this generation. Wii has broken once, 360 twice, fat launch ps3 0 times. On handhelds, two DSs have broken, while the psp broke 0 times.

So I don't personally agree with your statement.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
OK, so Anonymous' response to the "Anonymous.txt>We are legion" evidence implicating them was that they do not attack users and have never done so, so they are being framed. They point to their past history to prove that they only do peaceful protests.

Umm, did we forget about Gawker? We must have because the first two sites I read it on (DailyTech/Anandtech and Maxconsole.com) didn't have a single mention of it even in pages of comments. Not only did they release private user details, but they also weren't protesting anything... they were responding to Gawker employees who mocked them. No faction of Anonymous tried to distance themselves from that operation. In fact, they proudly responded with all the inside information they had.

What further disappoints me is that my comment on DailyTech was downvoted when it absolutely HAD to be said. We should all know that the contradiction must be part of the discussion no matter if you are sympathetic to their cause or not because it's too important and relevant. They are behaving as if they are better than that when the fact is that their Gawker hack was WORSE than PSN so far. Yes, WORSE. That's because they went farther than whoever hacked PSN/SOE by actually releasing that data to the web and torrent sites. My twin brother's email and password was right there in plain-text for all to see when you googled his username. And before anyone mentions that Gawker had nothing to do with CC numbers, understand that the hackers likely have not managed to reverse CC numbers from PSN/SOE hacks and the people claiming to be selling them are obvious fakers (CVV codes are never stored).

Last edited:

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005

I don't know. I didn't buy my ps3 until after the slims were released. It is about 18 months old now and still runs; granted, I rarely play it.

Either way, I doubt ps3 failure rates have been worse than the 360, until revisions fixed the whole red ring of death issue. My guess is they're equally reliable these days.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Red Ring on 1 of 3 360's, so far no issues out of 3 PS3's, and no problems out of 3 Wiis. I don't understand the overpriced argument for PS3's either. 360 with hard drive = $300. PS3 with hard drive, bluetooth, and blu-ray = $300...and the hard drive is bigger, plus I don't have to waste money on a BS online "service". By "service" I mean I have to be flooded with stupid ads when I just want to play a game or watch a movie....in return I get to have cross game chat and pay $40-60 every year. Oh, where do I sign up, please tell me!!!

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Man, this shit is getting old. Planning a third attack now? Don't these kids have anything better to do with their time? I can't wait until each and every individual responsible for these attacks are caught and brought to justice -- and it most certainly will happen.

The general public is usually unaffected by harmless DoS attacks, but planning a third attack, and threatening to expose the stolen account information -- now they're just increasing the amount of charges that will be brought against them when they're caught. Nobody cares when they just knock a website offline for a few hours, but now they're taking it way too far, and it's long removed from the realm of traditional hacker ethic.

Enjoy sleeping in your own beds while you still can.

i think we'll see more stuff like this happening, thanks to Assange and Wikileaks.

Oct 19, 2000
2 weeks during December 2008.

Also, I'm seeing stuff about XBL being DDoS'd right now. Is that correct?

XBOX Live wasn't down 100% of the time, though, was it? It was basically unusable during peak hours of the day, but you could still manage to get to some stuff at certain points.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

Fat ones had a lower failure rate than the launch 360s. My failed though, three times, even after Sony "fixed" it.

I don't think the PS3 was ever was overpriced. It was and largely still is a premium product though. Remember that it had Blu-ray when standalone players were $500 minimum, full hardware PS2 compatibility, Built in WiFi, free online (online included with the price of the system, rather than annually), SACD playback, and virtual machine capability to use it as a mini-server. All stuff the 360 didn't. I don't think going with Blu-ray was a mistake either. DVD was already 10 years old by then. Some PS2 games were already pushing the single disc boundary.

What hurt the PS3 was the same thing that hurt the PSP. Both were poorly marketed in the beginning, especially in North America. Sony also spent more time dicking with the hardware than improving the software, and especially at the third party level.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
XBOX Live wasn't down 100% of the time, though, was it? It was basically unusable during peak hours of the day, but you could still manage to get to some stuff at certain points.

Yeah, it was only ever down because of traffic issues right from Christmas 2007 to Jan 2008 because that is when sales of the Xbox 360 took off. MS wasn't prepared for that amount of traffic. You could still get on at times though.

That's very different from a complete outage now running into three weeks due to a hack from poorly secured servers that led to personal information being stolen and possibly credit card info as well.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Red Ring on 1 of 3 360's, so far no issues out of 3 PS3's, and no problems out of 3 Wiis. I don't understand the overpriced argument for PS3's either. 360 with hard drive = $300. PS3 with hard drive, bluetooth, and blu-ray = $300...and the hard drive is bigger, plus I don't have to waste money on a BS online "service". By "service" I mean I have to be flooded with stupid ads when I just want to play a game or watch a movie....in return I get to have cross game chat and pay $40-60 every year. Oh, where do I sign up, please tell me!!!

Yes, I LOVE having a free shitty network where I can't chat with more than two people in the same lobby without the audio cutting out on me. I also prefer more lag in my games too. Yes, that free service sure is a bargain. :thumbsdown:

BTW, I have 2 360s (Elite and Slim) and 2 PS3 (PS3 60GB and PS3 80GB). I've never had an issue with my 360s, but my laser unit went out on my launch PS3 about a month ago.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

It took a while, but PS3s have a 100% failure rate for me. Damn Pb-free solder (RoHS).

My launch 60GB PS3 finally failed earlier this year. My twin brother sold his launch 20GB PS3 and bought another later that failed. We got a 60GB with fewer HSF fins for a friend in 2007 (well, we got the 5-free BDs and he made payments to us on the console) and it failed just past its warranty despite the CPU being on a smaller process. We did the same thing with another friend to get 5 more BDs with an 80GB BC unit and it ALSO failed. Other than the refurb 60GB that my brother now uses (which obviously failed at some point to be a refurb), that's every single PS3 I have ever personally encountered. After I left GA, a friend of ours bought slim PS3 that I haven't heard about failing, but I've never seen it. He's actually the one who sold us the second 20GB unit. FWIW, the 20GB couldn't be fixed (no audio/video but seemingly boots; not YLOD; another common problem).

Duder1no

Nov 1, 2010
Fucking hackers cause another fucking PSN restart delay!!! :mad:

PSN hackers published 2,500 names and partial addresses from 2001, delays PlayStation restart

Sat May 7, 2011 3:39am EDT

* Data from 2001 product sweepstakes contest

* No fixed date for PlayStation Network restart

* No data leaked on credit card, social security info (Adds details)

TOKYO, May 7 (Reuters) - Sony said on Saturday it had removed from the Internet the names and partial addresses of 2,500 sweepstakes contestants that had been stolen by hackers and posted on a website, and said it did not know when it could restart its PlayStation video games network. The company, under fire since hackers accessed personal data from about 100 million user accounts of its PlayStation Network and PC-based online gaming services, said in a statement details posted on the inactive website also included three unconfirmed e-mail addresses.

The data came from customers who entered a 2001 product sweepstakes contest. The list did not include information on credit cards, social security numbers or passwords.

"The website was out of date and inactive when discovered as part of the continued attacks on Sony," Sony said, adding that the company took the website down shortly after finding out about the postings on Thursday. Sony Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer apologised on Friday to users of the firm's PlayStation Network and other online services, breaking his silence on the massive data breach. The company said last Sunday that it would begin restoring services within the week but a spokeswoman said on Saturday this would not be possible, and that no date had been fixed for when services would resume.

The incident may prove to be a significant setback for a company looking to recover after being outmanoeuvred by Apple in portable music and Samsung Electronics in flat-screen TVs.

In video games, it faces a tough fight with Nintendo's Wii game console and Microsoft's Xbox.

"This wait is becoming so tedious. I know there needs to be a lot of testing, but it is really getting annoying. I am seriously considering changing to the Xbox," said message posted by a user called Cryonic UCX on the U.S. PlayStation blog.

"I LOVE my PlayStation, but Sony is not doing well in the online. Sony, you need to step your game up!"

On Friday, Sony shares ended 2.3 percent lower in a broader market down 1.5 percent, extending its total losses to about 6 percent since it revealed the breach. The Nikkei is up around 3 percent over the same period.

Sony issued its first warning on the PlayStation break-in a week after it detected a problem with the network on April 19, infuriating many users around the world. Sony said it needed time to work out the extent of the damage.

The hackers have not been identified, but Internet vigilante group Anonymous, which had claimed responsibility for previous attacks on Sony and other corporations, denied it was behind the data theft.

The group's statement came after Sony said Anonymous was indirectly responsible for the attack on the company.

Sony, which is set to report its annual earnings on May 26, has yet to specify the financial effect of the network breach. (Reporting by Isabel Reynolds, Chisa Fujioka; Editing by Nick Macfie)

UPDATE 2-Sony removes data posted by hackers, delays PlayStation restart | Reuters

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Are you tired of waiting on Sony to turn on PSN? I’m sure you are. We are too, but before your patience wear thin, allow me to comfort you with these words, when PSN returns, you’ll be pleasantly surprised and thoroughly pleased with the new, revamped PlayStation Network.

Just recently, Sony announced for European gamers that they’ll get a chance to download four games for free as part of the “welcome back” program the company’s planned to deliver to every PSN member. But that’s not all.

As Sony’s rebuilding the network, work being done doesn’t only entail security enhancements. Sony’s about to surprise us with features gamers have longed begged for, and while some won’t go live right away, expect things like cross-game chat and video chat to be part of the new PSN.

“As we are rebuilding the network, we are taking into consideration implementing features such as cross-game-chat and in-game video chat to name a few. I cannot confirm any new features at this time but expect a massive update when the network is restored,” said a Sony representative recently.

We should also expect to see a revamp of the XMB, and other related changes.

Once the service comes back online, you should expect the following features to be available:

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
• This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
• Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
• Access to account management and password reset
• Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
• PlayStation®Home
• Friends List
• Chat Functionality

In the coming days: Expect PSN by early next week:

“In the coming days, we will restore service to the networks and welcome you back to the fun. I wanted to personally reach out and let you know that we are committed to serving you to the very best of our ability, protecting your information better than ever, and getting you back to what you signed up for – all the games and great entertainment experiences that you expect from Sony,” said Sir Howard Stringer in a letter of apology to PSN users.

The “new” PSN as Sony calls it, will definitely be more robust than what we’ve come used to, so bare patience just a little longer, because you’ll be pleased.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2011/05/07/you-will-be-surprised-and-pleased-with-the-new-psn/

I can wait. lol Thanks "hackers", you pushed Sony into making PSN the best service for free. Good for me, yay! As for your lag and chat issues Jack, I play Socom on dedicated servers so I have no lag issues at all on PSN. Your chat problem is something I've never experienced even with 3-4+ people on chat. Maybe it's your ISP?

As for failing PS3's, well some are going to fail. It happens. It just happens about 1/3rd as much with PS3 as it does with Xbox. Of course it probably happens even less with Wiis...lol

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I've also not ever had any lag issues on the PSN (except when a host leaves in CoD) and am still using my launch PS3.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Fucking hackers cause another fucking PSN restart delay!!! :mad:

I guess we can blame the hackers since without hacking we wouldn't need security. But at the same time, don't leave your front door wide open and expect it to not be robbed.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
-1, that's like saying "she was asking for it". The crime here was done by criminals, not SONY. Sony failed to provide updated protection, yes, but the crime was still carried out by criminals.

These claims were unsubstantiated and turned out to be bogus.

http://bitmob.com/articles/detective-work-reveals-psn-servers-up-to-date

"As it turns out, it is fairly simple to use Google's webcache to show what version of Apache the PSN servers were using back in March. According to a page request archived by Google on March 23, 2011, at that time Sony was running version 2.2.17 of the popular software. You can see from Apache's website 2.2.17 is the latest, stable version of the webserver available even today."

Seems like a good 90% of the "facts" coming from bloggers online was fanboy bullshit designed as a smear campaign against Sony. I guess if you can't actually come up with interesting news, you just have to make it up.