PS4 or XBOX One ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
whats so special about switch ? It looks like PSP with some added features. I really want to play games available on consoles but not on PC.

Well that's one of the main features of the Switch, playing games that you can't (legally) play on PC. Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Bayonetta 2&3, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc. The PS4 has plenty of exclusives too. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Last of Us, etc. If you want to play games not available on PC, then you really don't want an Xbox, since thanks to Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere initiative almost every Xbox exclusive, sans Halo 5, has been released on PC through the Windows Store. The advantage to Xbox right now is that the Xbox One X is significantly faster than the PS4 Pro, and includes a 4K blu ray player while the PS4 Pro just has a standard blu ray player.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
PS4 and a used Xbox One original for Forza Horizon 3 and a few other titles :)

Pretty much sums up my current console ownership. Pre-ordered PS4 and then bought a used XB1 Elite 2 years later for chump change, for basically Forza 6/H3 and Gears 4. I like the console, just don't use it very often if at all. I will admit that FH3 kept my attention for some time and it's an awesome game.

PS4 has GT now though so all other racing games are irrelevant to me for the time being.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
If you love Japanese games are OK with sub-par graphics and a system that is 50% slower then go with PS4 Pro. I live in the USA and I prefer having top of the line hardware so PS4 Pro is not an option for me.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
My response to that is... PS4 > *

What good is more powerful hardware (not sure that's even true) if there's no good games to play?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
My response to that is... PS4 > *

What good is more powerful hardware (not sure that's even true) if there's no good games to play?

If you like the exclusives more than quality hardware then obviously PS4 is for you.

Personally, I'm not a fan of PS4 exclusives apart from Red Dead Redemption and that one is coming out for Xbox One X in a couple months anyway. Most games are available on both systems.

I didn't buy Xbox One in 2013 because it had inferior hardware and I agreed with the rationale put forward by PS4 owners that the hardware was more important. The same is true today, except the discrepancy is even larger between PS4 pro and Xbox One X than it was between OG Xbox One and OG PS4.

What changed? Why have all the people who couldn't imagine buying lower specced hardware suddenly decided that hardware doesn't matter?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
What changed? Why have all the people who couldn't imagine buying lower specced hardware suddenly decided that hardware doesn't matter?

You answered that yourself already though... most people now prefer exclusives and since Xbox hasn't released any new series' the hardware argument is irrelevant. Who the hell wants to spend more money on a revamped system that doesn't have any promising upcoming titles?

It's pretty simple, you buy a PS4 if you want to have fun gaming and you buy an XB1 is you want to gloat about having something more powerful than the PS4--that doubles as a nice paperweight and bluray player.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If you like the exclusives more than quality hardware then obviously PS4 is for you.

Personally, I'm not a fan of PS4 exclusives apart from Red Dead Redemption and that one is coming out for Xbox One X in a couple months anyway. Most games are available on both systems.

I didn't buy Xbox One in 2013 because it had inferior hardware and I agreed with the rationale put forward by PS4 owners that the hardware was more important. The same is true today, except the discrepancy is even larger between PS4 pro and Xbox One X than it was between OG Xbox One and OG PS4.

What changed is that PS4 got amazing exclusives. Until March 2015 (when Bloodborne came out) both systems had pretty lackluster exclusives so the only reasonable way to differentiate was performance for multiplatform games. Or price. The momentum really picked up in 2017 though. That's when PS4 got a monster lineup of top notch games that couldn't be played on XBox One. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, NieR Automata, Yakuza 0, Nioh, and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. XBox of course has Forza which kills anything on PS4 for driving, but outside of that their console exclusives are pretty lacking.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The One X is 43% faster than the PS4 Pro, whereas the PS4 is 41% faster than the One. The differences are nearly identical.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
What changed is that PS4 got amazing exclusives. Until March 2015 (when Bloodborne came out) both systems had pretty lackluster exclusives so the only reasonable way to differentiate was performance for multiplatform games. Or price. The momentum really picked up in 2017 though. That's when PS4 got a monster lineup of top notch games that couldn't be played on XBox One. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, NieR Automata, Yakuza 0, Nioh, and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. XBox of course has Forza which kills anything on PS4 for driving, but outside of that their console exclusives are pretty lacking.
Nier, Nioh, and Hellblade are not exclusives, FWIW.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I live in the USA and I prefer having top of the line hardware so PS4 Pro is not an option for me.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on a video game thread. If hardware is all that matters then why aren't you playing all your games on a PC with a GTX Titan V? Also...you are under some assumption that only people in the USA can buy good hardware or play games? Not sure what that has to do with, well anything.

Except the difference isn't as large as you make it out to me. The games that are better on Xbox One X only have marginally higher resolution or something like 2fps difference. Seriously, it's not that huge a deal as I have both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Nothing changed...Microsoft just made a bunch of bad games...and Forza. Then they gave Forza to Windows too so nobody needs an Xbox if they have a PC because all the previously exclusive games are now on Windows. Most games are available on both systems right so people are buying PS4s more than Xboxes because it has both more exclusive games you can't play anywhere else (xbox has none right now except Halo 5), and all the 3rd party titles.

The One X is 43% faster than the PS4 Pro, whereas the PS4 is 41% faster than the One. The differences are nearly identical.

It also doesn't make that much of a difference. I played Assassins Creed Origins on both consoles and they are pretty much indistinguishable for me. If you turned one on and didn't tell me which I wouldn't be able to tell you by looking at it. The framerate may be a bit better on the Xbox but it would be so slight it didn't matter to me. I own the game on Xbox and play it on my XB1 X because I didn't have any Xbox games when I got it except Forza Horizon 3 and rented it for PS4 to see the differences for myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Hawk

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Nier, Nioh, and Hellblade are not exclusives, FWIW.

They're console exclusives though, as in PS4 is the only console you can play them on. We're not comparing PS4 to PC, but to XBox One. You can't play any of those three on XBox One.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
They're console exclusives though, as in PS4 is the only console you can play them on. We're not comparing PS4 to PC, but to XBox One. You can't play any of those three on XBox One.

Except we are, since the OP said they were interested in games that weren't available on PC. "I really want to play games available on consoles but not on PC."

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Except we are, since the OP said they were interested in games that weren't available on PC. "I really want to play games available on consoles but not on PC."

I shouldn't have said "we"; in that post I was addressing someone directly comparing the PS4 to the XBox One and asking what had changed between the two consoles when people used to compare them on hardware power while now they do on game selection. It wouldn't make much sense in that conversation to worry about hardware power between two consoles if we're including PC, so I was assuming the person I was responding to was excluding PC in his post.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I shouldn't have said "we"; in that post I was addressing someone directly comparing the PS4 to the XBox One and asking what had changed between the two consoles when people used to compare them on hardware power while now they do on game selection. It wouldn't make much sense in that conversation to worry about hardware power between two consoles if we're including PC, so I was assuming the person I was responding to was excluding PC in his post.

Fair enough, but the language FIVR was using feels very PC Master Race-y to me.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

When the original PS4 and XB1 first came out, neither had much of an exclusive library. Raw power was the only differentiator. Fast forward to the present, and the PS4 has a significantly more appealing library, especially for people who already own a gaming PC. So people will support it even though the PS4 Pro is slower than the XB1X.

That's not to say the XB1 has no good selling points of its own. The XB1X is a great value for people who want high-end, near-4K gaming but don't already have a gaming PC. It's much better on the backwards compatibility front than the PS4, and the XB1X will actually up things like native resolution, texture resolution, draw distances, etc on 360 and original Xbox games. And from what I hear, Xbox Game Pass is a fantastic Netflix-esque service for games with a wide catalogue reaching back to the 360 and original Xbox, allowing you to play a lot of games without spending much money (and it installs the games locally, rather than streaming them like Playstation Now).

It's just that in the one area the thread OP mentioned, games that can't be played on PC, the XB1 comes up short in comparison to the PS4 (and Switch). Quite intentionally, really, due to Xbox Play Anywhere.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It's just that in the one area the thread OP mentioned, games that can't be played on PC, the XB1 comes up short in comparison to the PS4 (and Switch). Quite intentionally, really, due to Xbox Play Anywhere.

This is true for new games, but there are a ton of Xbox "exclusive" games from the past that can be played through backcompat. I put exclusive in quotes since a lot of the games have PS3 versions. If you haven't had a console in the past this is a pretty compelling reason to buy an Xbox.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I own both and literally only bought an Xbox for Forza and Halo and since the newest Halo wasn't that great, basically just for Forza now.

PS4 is just leaps and bounds better with exclusives and the Xbox operating system software still sucks horribly compared to the PS4, no matter how many times they've revamped it.

I wish Microsoft used their tons of money to get all these great exclusives on their system but for some reason they didn't care to.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
to the OP I'm a PC gamer that just recently bought a PS4 Pro to use with a mouse/keyboard translator called the APEX. Another advantage to mention are the amount of servers available. In BF1 in TDM servers on PC there are usually 1 or 2 available. On PS4 there are near 20 full ones at any given time. That's huge.

What sucks are 30fps games like Destiny 2 and Far Cry 5. The aiming feels so sluggish it sucks. I need at least near 45FPS to feel good about things.