PS4 or XBOX One ?

rainydayfund

Mar 22, 2018
I've been gaming on PC since long , never been an owner of consoles before, but i want to buy one now.(Just for the purpose of enjoying it, not that I'm bored with PC gaming)

Please provide your suggestions.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The PS4 has the best library, IMO. The Switch has several critically acclaimed exclusives. Can't go wrong with either of these.

The Xbox has been both lacking with exclusives, and their exclusives now come out on PC, so unless the backwards compatibility interests you (the 360 had a highly regarded library), this is probably the one you want to avoid.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The PS4 has the best library, IMO. The Switch has several critically acclaimed exclusives. Can't go wrong with either of these.

The Xbox has been both lacking with exclusives, and their exclusives now come out on PC, so unless the backwards compatibility interests you (the 360 had a highly regarded library), this is probably the one you want to avoid.

I tend to agree here, but really if someone has a large friend list with an xbox it might not be a bad idea to go with that even if it's lost nearly all of it's exclusives if you include the Windows platform, which the OP clearly states he does.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

I would agree with this assessment, however I don't think you should brush off the backwards compatibility. For someone that has not owned a console before, this is a very attractive thing.

For example if you are interested in playing Red Dead Redemption 2, the only way to play RDR 1 is either streaming on PS4 or PC through PS Now or on an Xbox 1 through backwards compatability. If you have a mediocre internet connection the Xbox 1 will be better.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
XBox makes no sense since most XBox One games you can get on PC, and the ones like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3 that aren't coming to PC (at least at launch) will also be on PS4. PS4 vs Switch is a much better question. I'd personally recommend PS4 because it has some truly incredible Japanese games like Bloodborne, Persona 5, and Yakuza 0 exclusive to the system as well as some top notch western exclusives like The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 2-4, and the upcoming God of War. The PS4 has an extremely strong library of exclusives right now and I really only listed the major highlights.

Switch will be a monster system by 2019 or 2020 IMO, but the game library is too small for me to recommend it now. Zelda BOTW is probably the best game I have ever played when it comes to open world exploration (and I have been gaming since the days of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong) but the dungeons and combat are lacking IMO and I feel the game is a little overrated. But I do like the challenge and how it just drops you into a world without saying much, a lot like the original Zelda on NES. I haven't played Super Mario Odyssey but it looks unbelievable, and my brother who has a Switch loves it. But the games that have me hyped on the system like Shin Megami Tensei V, Metroid Prime 4, and Project Octopath Traveler aren't out yet. Octopath Traveler comes out this summer but the other two are likely a year to two away.

Sony has some heavy hitting games in the pipeline too. For instance, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and the remake of Final Fantasy VII in addition to previously mentioned Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3, these last two of which will also be on XBox One.

Personally I'd go PS4 now and pick up the Switch in a year or two once it has a mature game library as well as supporting some of Nintendo's best hits from the past (they still don't even have a date when you can buy old games on the Virtual Console).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Just thought of something that may be relevant. If you have a 4k HDR TV there are some games that have HDR support on Xbox but not on PC. Forza Horizon 3 for example. I've actually debated buying an Xbox One X for this reason. I feel like some games are being gimped slightly on the PC because of no HDR support, some performance issues etc. Maybe not all on purpose as Windows HDR support is a mess anyhow, but it is a point that favors the Xbox over the PC.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm a PC gamer who bought a console recently to play with my fiance so my decision was easy - a PS4 pro. I did the research and it's a no brainer to get the pro if you are getting the PS4 at this point. But I did read about XBOX 1 vs PS4 and it seems Sony has more of what people consider good exclusives. Games I've never heard of though, being a PC player. What's ironic is that the only exclusive game I'm already interested in would be the Halo franchise on Xbox. Perhaps that is due to lack of knowledge of the console arenas, having been a dedicated PC gamer for 20 years. But there's that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah the only thing that I can see pushing me to buy an Xbox One again is if Halo 6 doesn't release on PC at all or lacks HDR support. Chances are that it will show up on PC, how broken it is or whether it will lack HDR like Forza remains to be seen.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just thought of something that may be relevant. If you have a 4k HDR TV there are some games that have HDR support on Xbox but not on PC. Forza Horizon 3 for example. I've actually debated buying an Xbox One X for this reason. I feel like some games are being gimped slightly on the PC because of no HDR support, some performance issues etc. Maybe not all on purpose as Windows HDR support is a mess anyhow, but it is a point that favors the Xbox over the PC.

There are other games that use HDR that work fine on Windows. I use HDR on Assassin's Creed Origins (when playing on my TV), and I have no problem with it. However, my assumption is that your problem stems from Microsoft's unsurprising yet asinine decision to require the Windows Store for their cross-platform games. The problem isn't the Windows Store itself, but rather its horrid limitations that have only been somewhat loosened since release.

Bubblehappy

Aug 14, 2010
For me it's always been about what consoles my friends have, so I can game with them. For this reason alone I own a XBO, have since launch.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
There are other games that use HDR that work fine on Windows. I use HDR on Assassin's Creed Origins (when playing on my TV), and I have no problem with it. However, my assumption is that your problem stems from Microsoft's unsurprising yet asinine decision to require the Windows Store for their cross-platform games. The problem isn't the Windows Store itself, but rather its horrid limitations that have only been somewhat loosened since release.

Your info is outdated. Sea of Thieves supports HDR on PC. Hdr was added to windows 10 in one of the feature updates. Older games would need to be patched.

Most likely reason it is missing in several games is that user base is much smaller on PC so it gets much less time devoted to it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Your info is outdated. Sea of Thieves supports HDR on PC. Hdr was added to windows 10 in one of the feature updates. Older games would need to be patched.

Most likely reason it is missing in several games is that user base is much smaller on PC so it gets much less time devoted to it.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the major update that added HDR to the desktop. The thing is... the HDR introduced for the desktop is a pretty poor implementation that attempts to use SDR content in HDR, and it does not look good. When I first installed the update, I wondered why my desktop was way too dark, and thankfully, I found a recommendation to turn it off, which worked fine. It's also worth noting that HDR existed outside of said Windows update for other games, and the HDR setting doesn't have an effect on other games. For example, I have HDR turned off on the desktop, but it works fine in Assassin's Creed Origins.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure you're referring to the major update that added HDR to the desktop. The thing is... the HDR introduced for the desktop is a pretty poor implementation that attempts to use SDR content in HDR, and it does not look good. When I first installed the update, I wondered why my desktop was way too dark, and thankfully, I found a recommendation to turn it off, which worked fine. It's also worth noting that HDR existed outside of said Windows update for other games, and the HDR setting doesn't have an effect on other games. For example, I have HDR turned off on the desktop, but it works fine in Assassin's Creed Origins.

hdr support in windows allow devs to add hdr support in their apps games. Netflix and sea of thieves support, i suspect any new game would also.

there are other implementations outside of native windows support which is what other games have been using.

i really can't say what the quality is between the two, i haven't seen any complaints about it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

There are some titles that have no HDR support or just general performance trouble on Windows but do have HDR support on console. Getting HDR to work in Mass Effect Andromeda was a nightmare on windows, it also isn't supported in Forza Horizon 3 or Forza Motorsport 7 and Gears of War 4 which ironically are Microsoft published first party titles. Plus many games that use the windows store have issues with performance and other limitations as mentioned above. Gears of War 4 had a bug where your FPS would drop over time to the point that it was below 20 and unplayable. You had to restart the game to clear it. Even when using higher end hardware like a GTX 1080. So for certain titles the experience is simply better on an Xbox vs Windows. That's all I'm saying. Just today I purchased an Xbox one X for $300 locally. Going to be able to pick and choose my platform now. I'll probably use the Xbox for multiplatform titles that run a little better on it's hardware vs the PS4 but with all these exclusive deals with publishers it's not that simple unfortunately.

All that being said it's still clear that the PS4 has the exclusives advantage provided one is interested in those exclusives.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
There are some titles that have no HDR support or just general performance trouble on Windows but do have HDR support on console. Getting HDR to work in Mass Effect Andromeda was a nightmare on windows, it also isn't supported in Forza Horizon 3 or Forza Motorsport 7 and Gears of War 4 which ironically are Microsoft published first party titles. Plus many games that use the windows store have issues with performance and other limitations as mentioned above. Gears of War 4 had a bug where your FPS would drop over time to the point that it was below 20 and unplayable. You had to restart the game to clear it. Even when using higher end hardware like a GTX 1080. So for certain titles the experience is simply better on an Xbox vs Windows. That's all I'm saying. Just today I purchased an Xbox one X for $300 locally. Going to be able to pick and choose my platform now. I'll probably use the Xbox for multiplatform titles that run a little better on it's hardware vs the PS4 but with all these exclusive deals with publishers it's not that simple unfortunately.

Forza Horizon 3 and Gears were released before HDR support was added to Windows, they would need a patch to support it. Anything released in the Windows Store needs support in the OS to work. Not sure why Forza 7 doesn't have it, as it is a recent release. Mass Effect has nothing to do with Windows, that is EA's issue. I would think that future play anywhere titles will support HDR on PC, as Sea of Thieves does, but maybe some traditionally console exclusives will not to attract people to buy a console. HDR userbase on PC is probably much smaller than on console so that may factor in also.

I understand all the criticism of Windows store games. IMO Windows 10 was released about a year or two too early. It is working great now IME, but the first year especially was a mess.

One X is GREAT for multiplatforms, so have fun with it. I just bought FH3 (was a good deal on CDkeys), planned to just play on my One X (looks amazing), but might try it out on my PC to see how plays.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Forza Horizon 3 and Gears were released before HDR support was added to Windows, they would need a patch to support it. Anything released in the Windows Store needs support in the OS to work. Not sure why Forza 7 doesn't have it, as it is a recent release. Mass Effect has nothing to do with Windows, that is EA's issue. I would think that future play anywhere titles will support HDR on PC, as Sea of Thieves does, but maybe some traditionally console exclusives will not to attract people to buy a console. HDR userbase on PC is probably much smaller than on console so that may factor in also.

I understand all the criticism of Windows store games. IMO Windows 10 was released about a year or two too early. It is working great now IME, but the first year especially was a mess.

One X is GREAT for multiplatforms, so have fun with it. I just bought FH3 (was a good deal on CDkeys), planned to just play on my One X (looks amazing), but might try it out on my PC to see how plays.

They came out after other games had HDR support already though and they have never received an update to enable HDR.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
PS4.

Xbox desperately needs a new lead franchise. Gears and Forza are great but Halo is basically a well-playing lost cause and how many times can they repackage the old game? Sony has much better original titles and there are some upcoming games to look forward to. Is there anything on the horizon exclusive to Xbox that looks like it might be good?