Protests in Gaza

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Jackalas,

Watch the video at the top of the page. Was he Hamas?

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/30/israel-gaza-march-killed-protest/

There were those days when the western media and esp the American establishment would blame the Palestinians for suicide bombings, telling the world this shows they don’t want a peaceful solution. Some said they need to follow the Gandhi model

Now you have a person doing completely non violent resistance, walking unarmed, displaying moral courage. Only to be murdered in cold blood

No you just can’t win. How do you awaken a conscience which does not exist?

Do these Army guys go home and hug their children? There are militaries where soldiers and officers refuse to follow inhumane orders. Doesn’t look like Israel has that problem

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My thought was it doesn't seem anything like "protests" to me, it sounds like riots, just out of control stuff.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Orange fucker can never tell the truth.
If he did he'd lose the support of all the people who hate the truth with a passion. They love him because he makes life easier for them. No need to know anything in Trump Land.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
My thought was it doesn't seem anything like "protests" to me, it sounds like riots, just out of control stuff.

gtfo with your rational thought.

It is completely reasonable to bring an 8month old baby to these protests and then act surprised when the baby dies from tear-gas.

Reactions: highland145

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think that by the time most US politicians are Millennials, you'll have mainstream politicians saying, on the record, that Israel was a mistake. When that happens, you can bet your ass that the UN will send Peacekeepers in to divide up Jerusalem, Cypress-style, and the Jewish state as it exists today will be over. Us old fuckers will be like, "It was all Bibi's fault!"

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Israel has declared open season on Palestinian protesters--live fire against teens armed with rocks. Thanks Trump, I'm sure today's events will help curb more Islamic extremism and diffuse the blind hatred of America for the next 30 years.

Every big power needs enemies. This is as old as history of mankind. They oppress other people, create enemies, and then fight those enemies. Creating yet more enemies..and it goes on and on.

Reactions: Thebobo

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
I think that by the time most US politicians are Millennials, you'll have mainstream politicians saying, on the record, that Israel was a mistake. When that happens, you can bet your ass that the UN will send Peacekeepers in to divide up Jerusalem, Cypress-style, and the Jewish state as it exists today will be over. Us old fuckers will be like, "It was all Bibi's fault!"

There were many idealistic people in the 60s. So much change happened in the country, some good some bad. But their intentions were right. Where are they now? The answer is politicians, and the whole political machine, is a different specie. You don't have to go in future, even today there are many knowledgeable and aware people in America who know how much damage Israel has been doing to this country

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
As long as isreal exists as is there will never be peace or stability.
And I suppose you think that if Israel somehow were not there anymore then the middle east would be peaceful?

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

As pointed out elsewhere, I can’t see this happening without nuclear war. The UN can’t impose peace against local warlords. I don’t like their odds vs a nuclear state.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The UN can’t impose peace against local warlords.

The entire idea that you can 'impose peace' on a people is stupid to begin with. I've said it many times before; if a person believes that an idea with worth killing for you can stop him, but if he believes that the idea is worth dying for all you can do is let him.

In this conflict both sides believes that their idea is worth dying for.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Like I said, you'll excuse any act of barbarism perpetrated by the IDF.

I condemn Israel for expanding its border throughout the west bank. For claiming more land.
I will not condemn a people for defending themselves. And that comes down to the facts of specific acts. Anyone has the right to defend their border, and/or to defend a military fortification. Anyone.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I condemn Israel for expanding its border throughout the west bank. For claiming more land.
I will not condemn a people for defending themselves. And that comes down to the facts of specific acts. Anyone has the right to defend their border, and/or to defend a military fortification. Anyone.

When countering a mass protest the use of force should be proportionate. 60 dead and hundreds wounded on one side would suggest that certainly wasn't the case here.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
When countering a mass protest the use of force should be proportionate. 60 dead and hundreds wounded on one side would suggest that certainly wasn't the case here.

Among the best comments on what happened in Gaza was this
If the IDF can't tell the difference between someone who's armed or unarmed then the IDF is full of undisciplined morons or they don't care. Which do you think is more likely?

Jaskalas simply doesn't care

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Jaskalas simply doesn't care

I do not care because the context is clear. Both the history of violence and the threat from the crowd. It's not hard to grasp that anyone threatening that fence dies.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Please point to the country of Palestine on a map.

Please note: I did not say "country". You know perfectly well what I meant. Or you are ignorant. Or Both.

State of Palestine
Palestine, officially the State of Palestine, is a de jure sovereign state in the Middle East claiming the West Bank and Gaza Strip with Jerusalem as the designated capital, although its administrative center is currently located in Ramallah. Wikipedia
President: Mahmoud Abbas Trending
Capitals: Ramallah, East Jerusalem
Founded: November 15, 1988
Proclaimed capital Administrative center: Jerusalem (East); Ramallah
Population: 4.55 million (2014)
Continent: Asia

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
There were many idealistic people in the 60s. So much change happened in the country, some good some bad. But their intentions were right. Where are they now? The answer is politicians, and the whole political machine, is a different specie. You don't have to go in future, even today there are many knowledgeable and aware people in America who know how much damage Israel has been doing to this country

Wavy Gravy is still around so there is still hope.
955ad9ca1cd0003a2733bed545a02c44.jpg

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I do not care because the context is clear. Both the history of violence and the threat from the crowd. It's not hard to grasp that anyone threatening that fence dies.

It's obvious that you don't grasp context either... using sniper rifles on people using slingshots and burning tires is far outside the context of any reasonable response. Had people tried to use something to cut the fence the IDF could still step up to rubber bullets or other means before using the types of round that they are alleged to have used.

If any country used those types of rounds on U.S. personnel I would not be surprised if they were brought up for violating any laws regarding the types of rounds permissible in conflicts.

_________

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

That border they're defending is a closed rectangle measuring roughly 6 by 30 miles, where their defending consists of ensuring that all of the people born within that area can never leave there for their entire lives.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Please note: I did not say "country". You know perfectly well what I meant. Or you are ignorant. Or Both.

State of Palestine
Palestine, officially the State of Palestine, is a de jure sovereign state in the Middle East claiming the West Bank and Gaza Strip with Jerusalem as the designated capital, although its administrative center is currently located in Ramallah. Wikipedia
President: Mahmoud Abbas Trending
Capitals: Ramallah, East Jerusalem
Founded: November 15, 1988
Proclaimed capital Administrative center: Jerusalem (East); Ramallah
Population: 4.55 million (2014)
Continent: Asia

Some ''state". I don't believe they are allowed to levy taxes. Israel is constantly allowing more land to be taken over by Israeli citizens reducing the amount of land available as part of any negotiated solution. Calling it a state is a joke. The west bank is covered with israeli army checkpoints you can't have a state if you can't control any real aspect of your tereitory.