sohaieb

May 9, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have an Asus Desktop G11CD-K PC (the K is for Kabylake version) wich i disassembled to clean all its parts (including Graphic card fan, its Processor, CPU fan and replacing its thermal paste, and also its front components).

After cleaning, I assembled it correctly, but to be honest i did not think that i used all the right screws, but i chose it by its placeholder form and place.

When i turned on my PC, i found that CPU-fan, Graphic-Fan, PSU and HDD worked well, but all other parts did not work, like back-fan, all USB peripherics etc..

I tried all possibilities:
  1. disassembling and re-assembling again, changing RAM to different slots, removing some parts step by step to see if something can make a change, make my motherboard out of the case and turn it on to see if there is a problem with case-contact or anything else. but nothing was working for me.
  2. I reset my CMOS too, but the issue still existing.
  3. finally, i plugged-in my usb mouse and/or my usb keyboard, i see that some diodes of these two components lights for a while (a fraction of seconds) then it turned off again so that i understand there is a contact but i don't know what is the problem again.
  4. After these tests, i used my multimeter to see if current values are right, and yes my PSU worked well with the right voltage values in all its pins (motherboard pins, cpu pins and gpu pins).
I don't know what happen because i'm really sure that i did not do something wrong or risky, and i did never use my force to disassemble or assemble components.

A little things to mention:
  • I remember that i cleaned my CPU with an electronic liquid (see pictures below ), but at this point i did not turn-on my PC directly, i just waited for several minutes (approximately 40 minutes), also i read carefully its notices but they mentioned that i can use it on motherboards and all electronic cards.
    Can this be a cause of this kind of problems? if it is, so could that damage my motherboard ? if yes, how graphic card fan works then?
Please help me.

thanks

Electronic Liquid:
IMG20210125204559.jpg IMG20210125204553.jpg

Solution
Did you spray the "electronic cleaner" onto / into the mobo, WHILE the CMOS battery was still INSTALLED? If so, you most definitely shorted something, and that has to do with the +5V/+5VSB line as well from the PSU, and if you are having problems with the rear USB ports after re-assembly of the parts, that's almost certainly what happened.

I would test all of the individual parts in another PC, if possible, except for the mobo. Junk it, and potentially replace it if the rest of the parts test OK.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've never used any kind of cleaner like that on PC components, and based on your description of what you did, I'd guess it got into a part of the PC and didn't dry fully before you turned it on. I have only used compressed air since I began dealing with computers in the late 90s.

You can try letting it dry out further and reassemble everything again to make sure you didn't just miss something, but outside of that you might have to test each component until you figure out which one(s) are the issue.

Reactions: sohaieb

sohaieb

May 9, 2020
I've never used any kind of cleaner like that on PC components, and based on your description of what you did, I'd guess it got into a part of the PC and didn't dry fully before you turned it on. I have only used compressed air since I began dealing with computers in the late 90s.

You can try letting it dry out further and reassemble everything again to make sure you didn't just miss something, but outside of that you might have to test each component until you figure out which one(s) are the issue.
Hello,
Thank you for your reply, i want to mention that before turning-on my PC , i let it drying for several minutes (~ 40 minutes ).
I will try to test each component and i will give a feedback about results.
thanks

sohaieb

May 9, 2020
Hello again

There are new steps i did today:

1. I re-disassembled again all parts.
  2. I used this new product WD-40 contact cleaner to re-clean all parts wich i cleaned before including: CPU, CPU Fan, Back-fan, GPU and the MOBO , to remove all resedues from the first cleaner i used before.
  3. I tested all my PSU contacts with this ATX PSU tester and it gave me the correct voltage values (except the -5 V because i think it's optional, and because there is no white pin installed on it too).
  4. I tested my back-fan wich was not working on the MOBO, but it worked with a 9V battery out of the mobo (here, I have a new question: If the back-fan did not work on the MOBO, it can be because of the mobo it self or because the CPU ?)
  5. I tested again with RAM in different slots, with the iGPU and also with the PCI-GPU, but the problem still existing.
  6. Finally, I think my problem is between damaged CPU and/or damaged MOBO, So what do you think?
Thanks in advance

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Finally, I think my problem is between damaged CPU and/or damaged MOBO, So what do you think?
I think it's safe to say at this point that you likely damaged/killed something(s) when you put the electronic cleaner on it.

If you want to see if anything still works, you might want to take it to a local PC repair shop and let them test individual components.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Did you spray the "electronic cleaner" onto / into the mobo, WHILE the CMOS battery was still INSTALLED? If so, you most definitely shorted something, and that has to do with the +5V/+5VSB line as well from the PSU, and if you are having problems with the rear USB ports after re-assembly of the parts, that's almost certainly what happened.

I would test all of the individual parts in another PC, if possible, except for the mobo. Junk it, and potentially replace it if the rest of the parts test OK.

• Love
Solution

sohaieb

May 9, 2020
I think it's safe to say at this point that you likely damaged/killed something(s) when you put the electronic cleaner on it.

If you want to see if anything still works, you might want to take it to a local PC repair shop and let them test individual components.
Thanks, that's exactly what I should do in my case.

Hello,
i think you are right but i'm not sure because i have some questions:
  1. yes i cleaned it into the mobo when the CMOS battery was installed (unfortunately i forgot it and i did not know that can short something .. ) .
  2. And yes all USB ports does not work for me exactly as you said: i plugged/unplugged my usb keyboard and/or my usb mouse many times to check, it lights for millisecondes then it turned-off ..
  3. Also the back case-fan does not work..
  4. The thing that make me confused is when reading about my electronic cleaner manual, they wrote "it is safe and it can be used on any electronic devices including electronic boards", so this can short something?
  5. My last question please: is there any way to test +5V/+5VSB lines with multimeter?

Thank you a lot

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks, that's exactly what I should do in my case.

Hello,
i think you are right but i'm not sure because i have some questions:
  1. yes i cleaned it into the mobo when the CMOS battery was installed (unfortunately i forgot it and i did not know that can short something .. ) .
  2. And yes all USB ports does not work for me exactly as you said: i plugged/unplugged my usb keyboard and/or my usb mouse many times to check, it lights for millisecondes then it turned-off ..
  3. Also the back case-fan does not work..
  4. The thing that make me confused is when reading about my electronic cleaner manual, they wrote "it is safe and it can be used on any electronic devices including electronic boards", so this can short something?
  5. My last question please: is there any way to test +5V/+5VSB lines with multimeter?

Thank you a lot
It is safe to use on the boards, but not while the board is energized. Always remove ALL power to any electronics part before performing a cleaning operation of any kind.

sohaieb

May 9, 2020
Yes , look at the pin out for your power supply for the pin locations.
Hello sir,
i'm sorry, i did not understand .. do you mean i should look at my PSU pins or my MOBO pins?
If you have any picture to demonstrate it please ?
thank you a lot !

It is safe to use on the boards, but not while the board is energized. Always remove ALL power to any electronics part before performing a cleaning operation of any kind.
Hello sir,
yes i did that, the only fault is that i forgot my CMOS battery plugged..

sohaieb

May 9, 2020
Hello everybody,

I did my last tests by :
  • Clearing CMOS with Jumper. (there is no changes).
  • Using speaker (buzzer) for bip codes but there is no bips and no changes.
my only problem still about : how can i know wich component is dead : cpu or mobo ?
thanks

sohaieb

May 9, 2020
Hello everybody again,
I’m really sorry for my late answer, because i was waiting for some bought components (my new case , new MSI motherboard and different tools for PC Building).
I’m really happy to say that i finally solved my problem by re-building all my pc using the old parts (except the prebuilt case and the old ASUS mobo),
now my PC works well with my new build, so that i confirm that the problem was only because of the fried mobo.
Fortunately, none of my other components was damaged :D , so I used it in my new case :))
This is my first PC diagnostic & building experience, so i’m really happy to learn something new and I thank you all because i learnt a lot from all of you :)
here is pictures of my new build:
IMG20210306144444.jpg IMG20210306144452.jpg IMG20210306180314.jpg