preparatory thread for the 13th Annual Holiday Season Folding@Home Race

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
OK, folks, time is approaching for, AFAIK, the longest regular race the TeAm has ever had ... 12 years are done, the 13th is on it's way.
Much will be as usual: start December 1, 18:00 UTC; end ... that is a question, the stats are a problem, etc. because I'll be away on a long trip to the antipodes. leaving December 10, coming back January 9.

So lets take the issues one at the time:
  • Whom should we invite or challenge?
  • One, two or some more teams?
  • For the intra-team race, we need names.
  • We need a stats wizard to help out when I am not available - which will happen quite a few days, since we will be out of teach of WiFi and mobile phone coverage.
  • Any new ideas for the stats? We have kind of used the samen way to present stats for quite a few years ...
  • Any new ideas at all?
Here is the link to the first page of the 12th race.

Here is a typical stats page from the 12th race.

Lets us get the ideas and then the race roling!

Reactions: TennesseeTony

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
As far as I can tell, LAF, Tom's and Brony@Home are closest to us overall. LinusTechTips and Maximum PC are probably out of our reach, though I am no analyst. Maybe we ought to challenge a team that will likely win? That might persuade me to buy myself a GPU as an early Christmas gift.

Reactions: Ken g6

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
Given the weaker showing from our sister site, it may be nice to include other communities outside of the fold as well.

Thanks for starting up this thread. It was totally off my radar. I'll bring it up with editorial tomorrow and see what we can come up with.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Given the weaker showing from our sister site, it may be nice to include other communities outside of the fold as well.

Thanks for starting up this thread. It was totally off my radar. I'll bring it up with editorial tomorrow and see what we can come up with.

Stats are really not a problem. Doing the stats for two or five teams is not difficult at all ...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have too many cards to even run, but I should be at 15 million ppd or so for the race if I can figure out where to put the new cards. 12 million if not.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'll be in.
Just December though this time. Maybe see if any other teams pop by and wish to join otherwise...

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Between the facts that PG has a big race in the middle of this, my video cards seem to be dying, and new video cards are awfully expensive, I think I may skip the F@H race this year.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Between the facts that PG has a big race in the middle of this, my video cards seem to be dying, and new video cards are awfully expensive, I think I may skip the F@H race this year.
Exspensive ? I just got 2 1080TI FTW3's for $500 each, best deal since they came out.

Reactions: IEC

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
We still need proposals for names for the intra-team race ... ;)

Two names came to my mind this morning as I exited my warm and cozy bed and approached the coffee maker. Two names that have not crossed my mind in decades possibly. Two names of two opponents, locked in a fierce battle. Two names that, well, frankly are quite odd to have for a friendly competition (and even stranger to have these names pop into my head), but here goes:

Beowulf and Grendel.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
We have the first name prpopsal: Beowolf vs Grendel.
This idea of "classical" names opens a plethora of names ...
How about Cyclops vs Grendel (two "monsters") or Beowulf vs. Odysseus ... etc etc etc

Reactions: biodoc

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Lol! Some creative English there doc. :)

Re: Beowulf vs Grendel, wow, I searched for the original poem, found a 'modern' English version, read a few hundred lines, understood only 2/3rds of the words, but WOW. It truly is a classic, so descriptive I could visualize it, verse by verse. My favorite part (I only got to the part where Beowulf presents himself to the king under attack by Grendel), was the ridiculously long introductions between the local militia and Beowulf's party when they landed on shore. It reminded me of Game of Thrones when Jon Snow met Daenerys Targaryen (watch the video for the first 35 seconds). Except Beowulf replied with just as ridiculously long an introduction. :D

Reactions: Assimilator1

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
start December 1, 18:00 UTC; end ... that is a question
Has the internal race always been during the entire month of December?

the stats are a problem, etc. because I'll be away on a long trip to the antipodes. leaving December 10, coming back January 9.
I believe last year I posted almost daily stats for the WCG competitions which went on throughout December. I realize that the Annual Holiday Season Folding@Home Race stats are on a whole other level, since it involves tracking individual users, not just teams. But I am offering assistance for when you are out in the wilderness. I will probably be traveling myself though during the last few days of December. Maybe I'll lug the necessary tools with me then.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Without continuous stats (traveling stats keeper), perhaps a simpler race is in order. We choose a few teams to track, as benchmarks (some close to our production, and some ahead of us), and just keep track of these few teams, to see how we perform, as a whole, against these targets?

Other than the obvious teams that are ranked similarly to us, I'd like to see our output tracked against our pony pals from last year, and EVGA (which will keep us humble, I'm sure). And Ken will be happy to make another chart like last year, I'm sure, cough cough. :D

Pre race 2018.jpg

Last edited: