Post your random sushi facts here.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
there is a nazi sushi place on sawtelle between santa monica and olympic (LA). There is no menu...you sit and you eat whatever the chef prepares.
There is also another sushi place on Rodeo drive that is 500 a pop. EVERYTHING comes directly from Japan.

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
Originally posted by: huey1124
Originally posted by: andylawcc
and where's La Jolla? i search maps.yahoo.com and it reports that it is near San Diego?????

right, it's north of San Diego, where UCSD is located. Prospect street is a very nice place to hang out.

yup! that is...if u have $$$$ !!!! man we went to that area to find dinner....we walked out of 3 resturaunts....now they have menus outside ...ahahhaha...

you're at UCSD, right? stick to El Cotixan. hehehehe

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: bolido2000
there is a nazi sushi place on sawtelle between santa monica and olympic (LA). There is no menu...you sit and you eat whatever the chef prepares.
There is also another sushi place on Rodeo drive that is 500 a pop. EVERYTHING comes directly from Japan.

why, does the sushi chef say "no miso soup for you!!"?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Uni = teh disgusting.

Hotchic, the friend that warned you about Uni knows what he/she is talking about. Picture something with the consistency of phlegm and a flavour that can only be described as "the ocean exploding in your mouth".

I almost couldn't swallow it, and I LOVE every other kind of sushi.

Beware the Uni! :Q

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: N8Magic
Uni = teh disgusting.

Hotchic, the friend that warned you about Uni knows what he/she is talking about. Picture something with the consistency of phlegm and a flavour that can only be described as "the ocean exploding in your mouth".

I almost couldn't swallow it, and I LOVE every other kind of sushi.

Beware the Uni! :Q

Uni = sea urchin?
nasty stuff.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I was suprised to learn that the 'art' of Sushi is rather young, about 50 years.

A few months back NPR had some story about the Chef who 'invented' Sushi passed away. He started it as a fast food type join in post WWII Japan.

I am sure that some dishes and type of foods like that are much older, but apparantly the sliver of fish on rice is only 50 some odd years old.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: AUMM

i went to Sumo couple weeks ago, i liked it, nice variety, but im no sushi expert, it all tastes yummy to me!
I went a short while back for lunch, and won't be returning. The food wasn't special, and sushi isn't really a good buffet food. Many sushi connoisseurs would say something along the lines of, "I'd rather pay $75 for excellent sushi than pay $20 for buffet". But obviously, not everybody cares to pay that much for one meal, or at least rather infrequently.

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: AUMM
Originally posted by: NewSc2
Originally posted by: huey1124
Originally posted by: Dezign
Originally posted by: HotChic
Davis, CA - all you can eat sushi lunch for $9.95 M-Th. Fairly good sushi too.
All you can eat????????? :Q:Q:Q:Q:Q

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

if you like all-you-can-eat, why don't you try Todai instead? there are several in LA area, and one in Huntington Beach is really good (on Beach Blvd.). if you REALLY want top quality notch sushi, go to Tadashi in downtown La Jolla. it's pretty expensive, but you can sit at the sushi bar for all-you-can-eat for around $25. unagi is my favorite.

Todai/Sumo's is like $20+ for all you can eat and their sushi is just average.

EDIT: However it does look really tasty... I work out at the Bally's next to that Huntington Beach Todai's and it's quite painful to run on the track and watch the people walk into Todai's.

i went to Sumo couple weeks ago, i liked it, nice variety, but im no sushi expert, it all tastes yummy to me!

SUMO IS THE NASTIEST PLACE AROUNd, i almost puked after stepping in there from the smell and i did puke after eating that nasty garbage they call food.

that was the first/last time I ever step foot in that place or any place that has all you can eat sushi in a buffet manner.

in los angeles (santa monica) try Light and Healthy they have a great all you can eat special at the sushi bar

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i agree, places like todais are ok, but buffet = lower quality really:p

then again thats the basic rule of buffet for all things:)

and yea, stuff like california rolls don't have any raw rish at all, hell no unprocessed fish, only that fake crab:p

i like sushi, some more then others. some i eat for taste, others for adventure:)

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
for the more adventurous types, there is a place called Sushi Mac (one next to beverly center and one in the valley) that sells all their sushi for $ 2.50
that is sushi, cut rolls, and hand rolls. they basically have everything, but you need a strong stomach. me and my friends use to swear by it until i started to get sick. then i wisened up a bit and decided that if i was going to eat sushi, it has to be the good stuff.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
"Trust me" style sushi bars are the best supposedly

you just sit down and the chef gives you watever he feels like giving you

however it can be painfully expensive ;)

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
There are a surprising amount of sushi houses/Japanese restaurants in the Philadelphia area. I enjoy the taste and texture of various sushi but I am not always fond of eating it. If the fish is brought in from the kitchen rather than made in front of your eyes, you don't know how it was handled and that makes me shifty.

Aznbruin

Dec 19, 1999

I've been to this sushi nazi place. They come around and give you sushi and order you not to put wasabi or soy sauce on the fish. I got some chef special and ended up paying 180 dollars for two people. The sushi was incredible. I like Hide Sushi which is a little farther down on sawtelle.

If you are ever in Los Gatos, ca there is an incredible sushi restaurant that seats 8 people total and the chef is a 30 year old sushi master from japan who makes incredible sushi. You gotta try it.

Matsuisha I think is also a great place to go in Beverly Hills if you ever get the chance

Aznbruin

Dec 19, 1999
In addition having lived around the country for the past couple of years. I honestly think the sushi is much better on the west coast than on the east coast. (NYC included)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Aznbruin

I've been to this sushi nazi place. They come around and give you sushi and order you not to put wasabi or soy sauce on the fish. I got some chef special and ended up paying 180 dollars for two people. The sushi was incredible. I like Hide Sushi which is a little farther down on sawtelle.

If you are ever in Los Gatos, ca there is an incredible sushi restaurant that seats 8 people total and the chef is a 30 year old sushi master from japan who makes incredible sushi. You gotta try it.

jesus christ, them fish better be freaking fresh and alive just minutes before it enters my mouth for it to cost me 180 bucks.

and Los Gatos? that's like in North California right?

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: HotChic
Davis, CA - all you can eat sushi lunch for $9.95 M-Th. Fairly good sushi too.

Aren't they open on sundays too? Its good stuff. Hey, we should all meet for sushi at Davis!

L

Lola

Originally posted by: Que-TiP
me and some friends hit a sushi place in novi, mi called ajishin. It rocks my world!

hey! where in Novi? I wanna try it but don't know of a good place? is it by the mall??

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
you are all wrong, sashimi is just the raw fish, sushi are the hand rolls/cut rolls, and nigiri is the raw fish on top of rice....booyah

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Actually, sushi refers to the seasoned rice.

And HotChic is right - Uni is the devil. It's considered a delicacy, but most Japanese don't care for it either. It looks like snot, feels like snot, and tastes like ass.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000

omg i think i walked by that place.

apparently that place you have no choice what to eat. the chef opens when he wants to open, and only top people are invited into his restaurant- no walking in! everything comes from japan that day. plus it's expensive. but it's supposed to be some of the best sushi ever.