Post your random sushi facts here.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Dezign
Originally posted by: HotChic
Davis, CA - all you can eat sushi lunch for $9.95 M-Th. Fairly good sushi too.
All you can eat????????? :Q:Q:Q:Q:Q

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

if you like all-you-can-eat, why don't you try Todai instead? there are several in LA area, and one in Huntington Beach is really good (on Beach Blvd.). if you REALLY want top quality notch sushi, go to Tadashi in downtown La Jolla. it's pretty expensive, but you can sit at the sushi bar for all-you-can-eat for around $25. unagi is my favorite.

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: huey1124

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

if you like all-you-can-eat, why don't you try Todai instead? there are several in LA area, and one in Huntington Beach is really good (on Beach Blvd.). if you REALLY want top quality notch sushi, go to Tadashi in downtown La Jolla. it's pretty expensive, but you can sit at the sushi bar for all-you-can-eat for around $25. unagi is my favorite.

Todai/Sumo's is like $20+ for all you can eat and their sushi is just average.

EDIT: However it does look really tasty... I work out at the Bally's next to that Huntington Beach Todai's and it's quite painful to run on the track and watch the people walk into Todai's.

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: NewSc2

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

EDIT: However it does look really tasty... I work out at the Bally's next to that Huntington Beach Todai's and it's quite painful to run on the track and watch the people walk into Todai's.

basically, if you go to a buffet style sushi restaurant (like Todai), you're not going to get high quality food. i was suggesting it for dezign, since she seems to like buffet style.
exception to that is the Tadashi which i mentioned. it's not a buffet, you sit at the sushi bar in front of the sushi chefs. you fill out a form to order different sushi like you do at any other sushi bars, but for around $25, you get to fill out the form as many times as you want. really good food.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

i went to Sumo couple weeks ago, i liked it, nice variety, but im no sushi expert, it all tastes yummy to me!

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: AUMM

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

i went to Sumo couple weeks ago, i liked it, nice variety, but im no sushi expert, it all tastes yummy to me!

It's actually really yummy, and when you pair it with all you can eat king crab legs, lobster tails with bernaise sauce, oysters, chow mein, fried rice, oh man... okay that's it... time to eat.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
It makes good bait.
Errr wait, it IS bait... ;)

While camping with some buddies (and, incidentally, drinking), I told my buddies that I liked raw squid. They bet me that I wouldn't eat the bait squid we were using...they lost.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: Millennium
Almost all restaurants of any type are closed on mondays.

WTF are you talking about? I have never heard of this before...

It doesn't apply to fast food and chain restaurants, i.e. McDonalds, Taco Bell, TGI Fridays, and Applebees.

This is true. Most higher class and smaller restaurants are closed on Monday. Who really eats out on Monday?

My random sushi fact? It kicks ass, thread crappers aside.

Uh... if anyone lives in/visits Portland, the highest quality sushi (IMO) is at Ichi Dai's on SE Powell at about 60th. Extremely clean (I would eat off the kitchen floor there), very fresh. Prices are very reasonable as well. For the best experience, the tatami rooms at Bush Gardens (SW 9th and Morrison) are a lot of fun, but expect going easily over $20/person, especially if you start ordering the sake ;). Takehasi's at NW Broadway and Burnside has the cool sushi train and price-by-the-colored-plate-as-you-go experience, their sushi is actually pretty good.
Todai's is.... umm... Todai's. Not the best by far, prices are kinda high, no sake, and WTF is with a sushi place serving prime rib? Oh well, I went there a couple of months ago for a friend's b-day and ate so much I practically couldn't get out the door... :eek:

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
Almost all restaurants of any type are closed on mondays.

where the hell are you from????????

maybe he should rephrase it,
i know quite a few nice fancy resturants close on Mondays. and as he mention that doesn't include chain stores.

since most dedicated Sushi resturants do fall under the "nice fancy resturant" category, I am not surprised most Sushi places close on Monday too.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: AUMM

Sign me up!

Peace,
Dezign

is Sumo and Todai the same resturant? where is Sumo anyways?
meanwhile, newSc2:how do I get to Full Moon from 405?
and where's La Jolla? i search maps.yahoo.com and it reports that it is near San Diego?????

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Noriaki
Post your random sushi facts here.

It's one of the nastiest things you can eat?

:p

Sorry I had to.

<-- leaves

you guys are really missing out. it's okay, more for me to eat.

I guess. If you want it, you can have it.

I don't feel that I"m missing out on anything, I've had it, and it was just gross. I couldn't stand it.
I very seriously hope that I never have to eat it again.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

Does anyone know why sushi bars are usually closed on Mondays?

Peace,
Dezign

japanese people are lazy. :D

if anyone knows a good sushi place in Pittsburgh please let me know

Dec 28, 2001
- the best place to go for sushi in Bloomington-Normal is Tachibana, and they have specials on Tuesdays.

-My brother sent me a three-book manga that my aunt gave to my mother on her trip back about a sushi chef going to some tournament, a la Iron Chef, but it's not any good . . ..

-I'm really, really hungry and I haven't had suchi in the longest time.

-As I'm constantly hungry, I'm open for donations for food a la IloveKaryn - I hate that chick, since she apparently WORKS and racked up a credit debt. I'm living in college and manage to pay off most of my bills (in exchange for starving occasionally) and she has the guts to beg for money while other people, even worse off than ANY of us, are starving to death? I'm ranting because I'm hungry . . . sorry
rolleye.gif

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: andylawcc
and where's La Jolla? i search maps.yahoo.com and it reports that it is near San Diego?????

right, it's north of San Diego, where UCSD is located. Prospect street is a very nice place to hang out.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
BTW, rolls ARE NOT sushi nor sashimi. They are americanized derivative.

Not quite so Americanized, as you can find many different rolls in sushi joints in Japan(though, you're right in the sense that you'll find a lot more "rolls" in the U.S. than you would in Japan). But yeah, rolls seem to be more popular here.

Random sushi fact? It's the only thing that's less cost effective than strippers. Those things are so overpriced it's ridiculous. If someone served me tiny slices of anything else on rice and charged me as much, we're gonna have a misunderstanding ;).

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
A REAL sushi place should bring you hot towels before the meal to 'wash up'.
Using too much soy sauce kills the flavor of the food and is wasteful. (I don't use any most of the time)
Most fish is actually cooked. (ex. salmon is smoked), but Tuna is usually raw.
I pretty much stick to the same kinds of rolls and fish. :) Salmon and Tuna are my two favs...

mmmm....seaweed salad.

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It takes at least 10 years to be a good sushi chef
All the rice grains should point in the same direction
Do not add wasabi in the soy souce since is already in the sushi
Use very little soy souce or it will kill the subtle flavor or fish
Eat the sushi in 1 bite.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: andylawcc

right, it's north of San Diego, where UCSD is located. Prospect street is a very nice place to hang out.

yup! that is...if u have $$$$ !!!! man we went to that area to find dinner....we walked out of 3 resturaunts....now they have menus outside ...ahahhaha...

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
hehe, good point. Luckily, strip joints bore me so I can spend all my singles on sushi (lots of singles eh?)\

'Sides, the japanese waitresses at the restaurants I got to are hotter than the strippers. :)