Possible Deals, COMPUSA closing 128 stores.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: uallas5
Reminds me of when Lechmeres, a dept store chain in the NE area, went out of business. I went in the day it went down to 30% off and the store was almost empty . I asked one of the sales clerk if they got a big rush in the morning. He said "No, most of the store went when it was only 10% off." He also called them suckers.

I remember Lechemeres! I used to get all of my CD players there. I liked that store. They had some ok prices if I remember correctly.

I have never had luck at going out of businesss sales- most stuff is gone by the time prices are actually good.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Originally posted by: spittledip
Originally posted by: uallas5
Reminds me of when Lechmeres, a dept store chain in the NE area, went out of business. I went in the day it went down to 30% off and the store was almost empty . I asked one of the sales clerk if they got a big rush in the morning. He said "No, most of the store went when it was only 10% off." He also called them suckers.

I remember Lechemeres! I used to get all of my CD players there. I liked that store. They had some ok prices if I remember correctly.

I have never had luck at going out of businesss sales- most stuff is gone by the time prices are actually good.

I bought a bunch of lithium batteries from them for $0.25 each. Great deal.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Was in the Encinitas one on Thursday, they had monitors with tags that said "LAST ONE!" and then the same monitor displayed with a desktop saying "LAST ONE!" Pretty pathetic.

Picked up Far Cry for ~$16 though. Gotta get the backstory for Crysis.

-z

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: mikeford
Just because its not in the store doesn't mean retail customers bought it. Some brands HATE their stuff being sold cheap and buy back inventory, so you can bet everything Compusa could return to distributors they returned. Then come the buyers from other stores in the area carrying the same brands, and they make wholesale deals to keep the prices up.

Liquidators keep the store "looking" like tons of stuff have sold, and may have the back room stacked to the ceiling. These guys have been at this scam for many years and know how to milk it for all its worth.

As far as I know, the only vendor that the stores had to send all their product back to was Bose. They have some unilateral pricing scheme that doesnt allow any stores to discount their product.
Instead of stores sending product back to other stores, they're actually getting product from those stores. Quite a bit of discontinued merchandise that the stores cannot sell are being shipped to the liquidation stores.

richd111

Dec 18, 2001
CompUSA continues to prove what a joke they are. They do not even have good prices on their going out of business sale.

1. It is STILL 10%-30% off
2. The sign says EVERYTHING in the store is 10-30%, but when you lookt at laptops and computers, they are clearly marked 5% off. False Advertising.
3. Several laptops and/or computers marked as "last one" are still marked only with 5% off, no floor model discount or anything. So they're trying to pull a fast one there.
4. They actually had the ba11s to try and sell an e-machines 17" CRT monitor for $135 (15%! off $150)

I agree with a previous poster. They are simply emptying the stores manually, they can't actually be selling this garbage. There's lots of stupid people in the world, but not this many.

As for the computer/laptop floor models, they probably shipped all this inventory to their other stores and are trying to find born and bred suckers to buy these beat up POS floor models for a measly 5% off.

They truly suck and may they rot in he11.

Rich

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Trust me, they're not shipping stuff to other stores. People are actually buying this stuff. Well, not the desktops and laptops since 5% off is nothing.

The liquidator owns all of the merchandise in the stores - not CompUSA, so they determine the pricing.

richd111

Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: indamixx99
Trust me, they're not shipping stuff to other stores. People are actually buying this stuff. Well, not the desktops and laptops since 5% off is nothing.

The liquidator owns all of the merchandise in the stores - not CompUSA, so they determine the pricing.

I did not think it possible, but you have further shaken my faith in humanity :)

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I hate to say it but you guys aren't looking for the deals, just something to bitch about the computers are horrid deals, but that is about it.
I have picked up an Xbox360 (core unit) for $30 bucks off.
This weeks round of reductions should come tomorrow, hopefully it will mean video game accessories at 20% off and console games at 15%. But I am not holding my breath.

Devil2U

Nov 11, 2004
Trust me, they're not shipping stuff to other stores.

Yea, a sales rep tried to pull that line with me. "Make sure you come back and buy your items this weekend. Next week we are shipping most of the stock back to the warehouse." Please.

Most stores cannot even quote the same discount. CPUs may be 30% off at one store and 10% off at another. And the employees ability to answer a simple question is pathetic.

Me: "What is you current discount on CPUs?"
CompUSSR: "Huh?"
Me: "CPUs, Central Processing Units. The heart of the computer."
CompUSSR: "I don't know what that is."
:roll:

uo7

Jun 23, 2002
The bellevue store still has a bunch of blu-ray movies left, no HD-dvd though. Pretty decent selection averaging about $19.00 each. Tech gadgets fans, coolers etc are 40 % off now. I haven't really looked into prices much but they have 3 or 4 sony blu-ray pc drives for $699 and take 15% off.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
So, I stand corrected. Today a stock pullback was sent to all of the closing stores. Approximately 1500 pieces of software and ipod accessories are to be sent back to the returns warehouse, where they will then be sent back to the vendor for resale, or shipped to stores still staying open.

The majority of software being sent back is all the tax titles. Most stores have over 500 pieces of turbotax, taxcut, etc. - so all that will be going back. Other titles include pda software, antivirus/firewall software, and sound editing software.

I didnt see any hardware on the list. No gaming titles either...

Cleaner

Feb 11, 2002
I stopped by one of the two closing in Columbus. The stuff was marked 10-30% off from their 'already amazing prices'. About 1/4 of the store was empty. No great deals to be had.

richd111

Dec 18, 2001
So, I stand corrected. Today a stock pullback was sent to all of the closing stores. Approximately 1500 pieces of software and ipod accessories are to be sent back to the returns warehouse, where they will then be sent back to the vendor for resale, or shipped to stores still staying open.

The majority of software being sent back is all the tax titles. Most stores have over 500 pieces of turbotax, taxcut, etc. - so all that will be going back. Other titles include pda software, antivirus/firewall software, and sound editing software.

I didnt see any hardware on the list. No gaming titles either...

Well mix, I'm glad you confirmed this. I'm sure a liquidator is handling this, but I'm also sure CompUSA has some clauses built in if something doesn't sell at a certain price, rate, etc. to ship stuff back to them. It just didn't make any sense that the stores were 30-40% empty after only giving 10% off prices. My faith in humanity is restored :)

Anyway, picked up a Coolermaster Mystique 632s last night for $70. Not too bad. Might check out the fans, etc next time I go back. 40% off brings the stuff to normal online pricing, but at least you don't pay shipping.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah it was only about $100k in inventory that went back. Most stores still have over $1M in inventory remaining.

Devil2U

Nov 11, 2004
40% off TECH PARTS only at this point. Some, oaky deals on that stuff, if you need it.
Not going to buy any mobos or PSU until 40% off.

amaunator

Jul 21, 2005
The few lightscribe cd'r's and dvd +r's are getting competitive with Newegg prices for the media if you include the shipping charges.

jzodda

Apr 12, 2000
just came back from White Plains NY location. The only 40% off sign I saw was for parts and fans. I will go back monday for more extensive looking after work. They had some 120s (Antec, Aereocool) retailing for $17 with 40% off. They were selling artic silver 5 for $18.00 for the little tube (lol) so 40% makes it at least competative (if it were the large tube :D )

Cases were at 30% and they had stacker 830s for $249 before discount and they had some Antec 900 cases. Behind the open ones were the sealed boxes and I didn't see either of them with that group. The sales guy said "just what you see" so maybe they were all gone. Anything good in the store had 10-15% off tags on them, which hardly comes close to online prices.

All in all very disappointing

lokitech

Feb 25, 2000
The Miami Falls store is closing and all I've gotta say is good riddance. I have never had any other retailer treat me like so much crap. They never honor their company wide clearance price or store policys. Even when I even show them receipt for the other local compusa from the same day, they refuse to match it. I have called their corporate line and filed tons of complaints, all without effect. This problem goes from the store manager all the way down to the door monitor. The store manager doesn't understand the policys that they have posted on the wall, even thought I am pointing it to him and reading it word for word to him. I've had the door monitor guy tag my very own PDA with a return tag, even thought they dont sell it, I am not returning it, and I've told him not to put a darn sticker on my pda.
They have gotten me so ticked that I (and my employees) have been buying big ticket items from their other stores and returning it (unopen) to this store just to mess with their daily sales figures. It helps to have a good sized corporate credit line.
I just hope to heck that some of those out of work CompUSA critters applies for a positions at my or one of our sister companies. I'll make sure to sit in on the interview.

Remember folks, VOTE with your wallets. Don't let retailers treat you like crap, if they do and don't make it up to you, you don't ever shop there again and let them know it. You will also tell every one you know NOT to shop there and tell them why.

Shivetya, Thanks for good news.

BraveSirRobbin

Jun 29, 2001
Have to agree with you lokitech. Since Frys opened in my city I haven't even drove past the place (few years).

rondor

Apr 7, 2005
I visited the store in Arlington, Texas on Friday -- really sad. I was in the market for a portable gps, and was ready to buy if the deal was right. GPS's were 15% off original retail -- Car Toys, across the parking lot, had $100. off most of theirs, and their starting point was lower than CompUSA. I found 1 I was interested in -- an open box with the windshield mount missing -- obviously a returned item. Thought I might get a real deal on this one -- nope -- 15% off original retail! I wnet home and found a great price on what I wanted on eBay!

Everyone in the store was walking around picking stuff up, shaking their heads, then setting it back down -- there was no one in line at a checkout counter.

TimeKeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
visit the Bellevue, WA store.....

Nothing caught my eyes at all.
I must have walk around the store 10 times and I can't find anything worth paying for it.

Okay, maybe if I am in the market for big ticket and heavy item such as Color Laser printer, then, maybe it is worth the trip.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I went to the Edina store last week to find a PSU for my dads computer. I didnt even know they were closing that store so I got an Antec 500 Watt PSU for 60 bucks.

However i was looking for HD's and couldnt find any :( I heard they carried raptors. If I can pickup a 74GB raptor for cheap, I would. Wife's 7200.9 is kind of weak sauce imo.