Possible Deals, COMPUSA closing 128 stores.

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tallman45

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Beau
Anyone else feel like a vulture? 126 stores closing, thousands of jobs gone... and all we care about are the deals :D

Basically that goes for any manufactures product in the USA. They have shipped out all the labor overseas which have cost millions their jobs.

Did you stop buying TV's, Stereos, Cars, etc because they fired US workers ?

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Originally posted by: tallman45
Anyone else feel like a vulture? 126 stores closing, thousands of jobs gone... and all we care about are the deals :D

Basically that goes for any manufactures product in the USA. They have shipped out all the labor overseas which have cost millions their jobs.

Yes I did, I now live in a shack in Montana plotting my revenge on the world.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com

Did I say I stopped buying anything? I think you missed the emote at the end of the statement.

Pwntcomputer

Oct 6, 2005

Did I say I stopped buying anything? I think you missed the emote at the end of the statement.

We should stop buying their products. Over-priced, below average selection and so-so service. What a combination!

About jobs going overseas. If we would quit enacting minimum wage laws, maybe businesses could obtain affordable labor. Increases in wages are merely shared with the consumer. I would hope there are a few capitalists in here.

jzodda

Apr 12, 2000

I don't feel bad for the company. I do feel bad for the workers.

They have been woefully mismanaged for many years now. Before circuit city or best buy hit the big time they could get away with their arrogant practices but comp usa was slow to keep up with the times. For the most part their stores sold over-priced goods, lesser computers at premium prices and a staff that could care less. Its a prescription for disaster in this new age we live in. I feel even worse for the people at circuit city, because they are out and out humiliating their workforce. I expect quality of service to go way down there now as well.

brotj7

Mar 3, 2005
I do work there part time, so just to clarify one more time, all the product is owned by CompUSA, the liquidators are just advising. You still get the mfr rebates but nobody will tell you that:Q. Some stores are sending stuff back to warehouses, I know this because my store got 3 trucks from underperforming stores and most of it was gone in a week. I havn't heard about the software going back to the vendors, but they do have a boatload of games/education software/vista -not sure the % off, and random family tree type craplets. The deals to me are things like the PSU's being 30-40% off, look for the BFG kilowatt, the thermaltake 750, and the coolermaster 850(at least I think it's coolermaster), to have MFR MIR w/ the 30-40% and your set. I'm not sure if those will run sli 8800GTX's but they will run quite a few HD's in a media center. Also, there are xbox 360's and 74gig raptors, but they are in lockup at least in my store(the store has been getting hit HARD by theft), not to mention the raptors are close to $190 so check you local BB to see if they still have any left at $120. The higher end gigabit routers might be a deal too, my store had just gotten the Linksys "Business..." series in stock before the closing was announced, but I havn't had a chance to check prices online yet. I do think B&M's are overpriced and even with my cost discount and MFR MIR's I still got most of my stuff online over the last few years.

Originally posted by: jzodda

They have been woefully mismanaged for many years now. Before circuit city or best buy hit the big time they could get away with their arrogant practices but comp usa was slow to keep up with the times. For the most part their stores sold over-priced goods, lesser computers at premium prices and a staff that could care less. Its a prescription for disaster in this new age we live in. I feel even worse for the people at circuit city, because they are out and out humiliating their workforce. I expect quality of service to go way down there now as well.
I agree, the "spiff" rewards structure for the workers, so they can claim they are not commissioned(sp?) is bull$**T. I do think that managments choice to force employees into shamelessly push plans as to maximize their own check eroded both the company's bottom dollar and the quality of care. While there is a few of us who have more than one job and just work there for fun , there arn't many. Most of my regulars, are family guys with no time to research stuff for themselves who will repeatedly tell you you they come in and look for few of us they can BS with for info, then they go out and find the best price. I'm perfectly happy with that too, because when we do have a deal in house, they come and find me to get it for them. (However my sales #'s reflect this, and I'm suprised I wasn't fired long ago. Mind you I do have a 4% return rate;)) Hope that has helped somebody.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Even going out of business and closing stores, they're still too greedy and still trying to make a profit. Anything that I've seen in their stores, the prices are laughable at best. They're not trying to dump anything, if anyone care.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Was at the Freehold NJ store today, pretty much dead. The only passable deals were 40% of cases and psu. Saw a couple of Sonata 2 and I think they were marked 129.99 so around $78 after discount, but newegg has this case for around $76 shipped after rebate.

I'm looking for a good headphone deal and saw Sennheiser PC150 for $50 with 25% off headsets...passable deal...all in all a wasted trip...i mean their supposed going out of business sale barely beats other discount retailer price..pathetic..and throw in that you cannot return things makes it a bad deal..in order for me to risk no returns i need a better discount...

bhyma

Dec 22, 2004
no good deals at the closing store in grand rapids, mi. only like 20% off the full retail price...bummer!

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
most of the stuff, even after the 20-30% discount is still higher priced that what you will find on the net.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
I went yesterday and didn't see much. They still had a couple of MacBook Pros at 10% off, which is decent. I actually bought an Optoma 84" projector screen, which I have badly needed (I've been projecting on my wall for the past 6 months!). It was $98 after a 25% discount. Pretty much exactly what I would have paid online (counting shipping).... a bit more with tax, but what the hey. It's a purchase that I had been putting off for too long, and this screen is perfect for what I need. 4:3 ratio and just the right size for my living room. So, hardly a hot deal, but nonetheless a useful deal for me.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: hongkongfever
Intentionally marking up their prices to offset their "clearance discount." Hm... Is it really legal?

No, but its one of the reasons why CompUSA is doing so bad in the first place. They seemed to always discount from over MSRP prices. I could not find anyone who ever bought DVDs from them when BB/CC down the street were typically 30% cheaper.

and their TV prices... ouch

iuseyew

Oct 6, 2004
theres no better way of going out than to screw everyone while your at it. i will not even buy from compusa online after this!

jeffspam

Sep 29, 2001
I'm particularly thrilled how they've started advertising "up to" 50% off, only to find out it's ONLY the Cellboost stuff (a month away from expiration) marked down that much. Even the store fixtures are WAY overpriced.

iuseyew

Oct 6, 2004
compusa will also still be providing pc support in california from my understanding (i used to contract with compusa per work order) so im going to have to call all the previous customers i have delt with and explain to them how they should find an alternative or use me direct, no one i come in contact with will touch compusa after this im pretty pissed that i cant take the video card i bought back last month it was an all sales final... my fault sure but still...

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Was at the Springfield NJ store and no deals to speak of. Saw a Icemat Siberia headset 37.49 after discount which does not even beat an online price. Store was nearly cleared out and I can't imagine it staying open much longer...

I refuse to believe that some morons bought the overpriced junk at this store, what is up!

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Intentionally marking up their prices to offset their "clearance discount." Hm... Is it really legal?

Prices were never marked up. Problem is, all the prices went back to their regular retail prices. Most of us are used to seeing "instant savings" and mail in rebates on pretty much everything we buy and since these are no longer good, prices seem to be inflated.

Now fixtues on the other hand... that's a different story...

<==soon to be laid off employee

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000

The advertisements I've seen say something like "20% to 40% off original list price" so it seems legal to me.