possible BULLYING murder in an Oklahoma school

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Has there been an autopsy by an independent corner?
The Oklahoma State Police are probably going to do the same thing the Russians did with the guy that died recently. Basically, giving the body back after a private autopsy can no longer be done.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
so bullying caused suicide then?
Many are bullied and physically attacked in schools. Always has it been.
But society is more connected and spreading the disease of hate faster and thicker than ever before.
Teens today deal with a severity of this disease none of us have experienced.

The question of how to help them, by building and enforcing a better society... is a rather hefty topic none of us are prepared for. And I am pessimistic on our chances. Humans may be too primitive to achieve better.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Manslaughter is still on the table. Plenty of precedent for bullies going to trial in direct relation to another person's suicide.
Is there evidence there was actual bullying? A fight in high school isn't exactly uncommon. The articles also say Nex is who started the physical part of the encounter. I haven't seen anything that says if there was a repeated pattern of bullying from these girls or not.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Either way my ass. My neighbor is a Jesuit priest and I almost went over and shot him. Get your terminologies straight. You need to know what you are doing in life to insure justice prevails. I already lost another neighbor, a Jewish priest because he gave my dog rabies. What a fuck up that was..
Err the Jewish priest gave your dog rabies? He bit your dog?

Mar 11, 2004
Next you're going to tell us elections are fake.

Wow, who'da thunk you'd be defending the validity of Vladimir Putin's elections wins!?! That's a new twist to the Jackasslass ideology that thinks the whole world should stop everything to fight Russia. Not you, of course, you're too chickenshit to actually do anything yourself. Also, apparently you don't understand what the word possible means, or its possible you don't understand what the word factually, in fact, means.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Curious. They're ruling suicide but they're not stating that the teen overdosed. The two medications in question apparently are not known to be a literally toxic combination, and yet the article states a "toxic combination". IANAL but AFAIK it would normally be termed as "death by misadventure" if a person takes prescribed meds in a way that's not an obviously intentional overdose but due to extra factors (e.g. alcohol / head injury) ends up in their death.

IMO there's still something fishy here. The police stated that the death wasn't the result of violence before the toxicology report, then the toxicology report comes back as not saying an overdose. So logically what could the police have observed? No suicide note apparently, no obvious consumption of tonnes of meds either...

The worst way to read this situation is that the police/state didn't want this to be an LGBTQ homicide hate crime to begin with so they say it's not even though they don't have sufficient evidence for that assertion, then the tox report comes back to say "this person has meds in their system", so the police seize on that as a solution, because otherwise it comes back to a potential LGBTQ hate crime if ordinary meds consumption (the combination of which is known to cause drowsiness) + e.g. head injury = death.

Alternatively, is a doctor about to get sued for inappropriately prescribing these two meds? Still doesn't explain how it's termed as "suicide" though.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
so bullying caused suicide then?
I guess that makes it ok now.
But society is more connected and spreading the disease of hate faster and thicker than ever before.

The question of how to help them, by building and enforcing a better society... is a rather hefty topic none of us are prepared for. And I am pessimistic on our chances. Humans may be too primitive to achieve better.
However, the bullying is rarely supported and codified by local and state governments. When the state shames them just for being who they are it adds to their trauma

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Wow, who'da thunk you'd be defending the validity of Vladimir Putin's elections wins!?! That's a new twist to the Jackasslass ideology that thinks the whole world should stop everything to fight Russia. Not you, of course, you're too chickenshit to actually do anything yourself. Also, apparently you don't understand what the word possible means, or its possible you don't understand what the word factually, in fact, means.
I warn someone ELSE not to go MAGA on alt-facts, and you shit out this passionate little diatribe?
When even the opponents of fanatics are themselves fanatical, "fun" times will be had by all.

Wait, wtf is that part about Russia. Are you a Trump voting traitor? No, that's not it. Given your apparent belief that American elections are fake, which you share with QAnon, you must be too wrapped up in an all consuming desire for Americans to be killing Americans... for you to give a shit about the rest of the world. Is that it? Don't worry, you may get your wish. I don't expect America to exist on the world stage for much longer.

Back to the topic:

From the beginning of this investigation, Owasso Police observed many indications that this death was the result of suicide,” Lt. Nick Boatman said in a statement. “However, investigators did not wish to confirm that information without the final results being presented by the Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s Office.”​

People here, without any evidence, are going to write their own fanfic and present it as what really happened.
QAnon has good company in making shit up.
Who needs facts when you have feels?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Curious. They're ruling suicide but they're not stating that the teen overdosed. The two medications in question apparently are not known to be a literally toxic combination, and yet the article states a "toxic combination". IANAL but AFAIK it would normally be termed as "death by misadventure" if a person takes prescribed meds in a way that's not an obviously intentional overdose but due to extra factors (e.g. alcohol / head injury) ends up in their death.

IMO there's still something fishy here. The police stated that the death wasn't the result of violence before the toxicology report, then the toxicology report comes back as not saying an overdose. So logically what could the police have observed? No suicide note apparently, no obvious consumption of tonnes of meds either...

The worst way to read this situation is that the police/state didn't want this to be an LGBTQ homicide hate crime to begin with so they say it's not even though they don't have sufficient evidence for that assertion, then the tox report comes back to say "this person has meds in their system", so the police seize on that as a solution, because otherwise it comes back to a potential LGBTQ hate crime if ordinary meds consumption (the combination of which is known to cause drowsiness) + e.g. head injury = death.

Alternatively, is a doctor about to get sued for inappropriately prescribing these two meds? Still doesn't explain how it's termed as "suicide" though.
The most likely explanation to me right now is the authorities are doing everything in their power to make this go away.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

One of the drugs is the generic name for Benadryl, which is over the counter, but I believe popular suicide choice.

Reactions: mikeymikec

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Need more confirmation the climate created by the right exceeds normal "teen bullying"??

One of the lawmakers is calling for the employee to be removed and for the center to “open a safety review to consider the potential harm and damages they have inadvertently caused children.”

Yarbrough said he had planned to send his daughter to Space Camp the following week, “but we have just found out that this freak is a team lead and a hall monitor in the girls dorms and at times could be allowed to be alone in the halls at night.”

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
One of the drugs is the generic name for Benadryl, which is over the counter, but I believe popular suicide choice.
Ok, I wasn't aware of the first point but wrt the second point, the article didn't mention an overdose.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I warn someone ELSE not to go MAGA on alt-facts, and you shit out this passionate little diatribe?
When even the opponents of fanatics are themselves fanatical, "fun" times will be had by all.

Wait, wtf is that part about Russia. Are you a Trump voting traitor? No, that's not it. Given your apparent belief that American elections are fake, which you share with QAnon, you must be too wrapped up in an all consuming desire for Americans to be killing Americans... for you to give a shit about the rest of the world. Is that it? Don't worry, you may get your wish. I don't expect America to exist on the world stage for much longer.

Back to the topic:

From the beginning of this investigation, Owasso Police observed many indications that this death was the result of suicide,” Lt. Nick Boatman said in a statement. “However, investigators did not wish to confirm that information without the final results being presented by the Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s Office.”​

People here, without any evidence, are going to write their own fanfic and present it as what really happened.
QAnon has good company in making shit up.
Who needs facts when you have feels?
Not sure if serious

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Ok, I wasn't aware of the first point but wrt the second point, the article didn't mention an overdose.
I'm assuming that is what they meant by "toxic combination" instead of using lay terms like overdose. They said suicide, not accident, so I think that means Nex took a lot.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Umm I read that article a few times..

So PROZAC and BENADRYL are toxic taken together???

Dec 10, 2005
Umm I read that article a few times..

So PROZAC and BENADRYL are toxic taken together???
They could be. Fluoxetine (prozac) and diphenhydramine (benadryl) have warnings about drug-drug interactions that act on the central nervous system. They could also be metabolized by similar pathways, which could mean that higher than necessary amounts sit in the blood when taken together, amplifying effects.

Lots of medications that are okay on their own carry these drug-drug interactions, so it's not a particularly unusual warning.