Popped collars

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
some people *understandably* have a problem with people popping their collars because its an outward show of wealth/eliteness/in other words arrogance
I gotta ask - how does popping your collar exhibit wealth? I mean, two guys standing next to each other wearing the same pink shirt, one has a popped collar, the other does not. The assumption is that PC-guy is wealthier than the other?

No, the assumption is that they are both gay.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
fashion is fashion... sometimes what the industry pushes/what is in is what looks good... cant deny that

And that's what I have never understood about "fashion". If it truly looks good, why doesn't it "look good" two years down the road? Why doesn't everything that looked good five years ago still look good today?

I'll answer my own question: Because it has nothing to do with what "looks good", it's about what is trendy.

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Dear God is it ths 1980's again?

Fvck this. I'm heading to the bunker so as to avoid the inevitable come back of such "bands" as Culture Club, Dead or Alive, and God help us all Huey Lewis and The News.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Medicine Bear
Dear God is it ths 1980's again?

Fvck this. I'm heading to the bunker so as to avoid the inevitable come back of such "bands" as Culture Club, Dead or Alive, and God help us all Huey Lewis and The News.

:music:I just spent 6 months in a leaky boat...:music:

claydawg

Feb 3, 2005
I'm an IT Consultant at a large University. The only people who pop their collars here are the fratboys. Since all of the frat guys are assholes, most people at the school despise this horrible fashion statement.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
it looks so try hard to me.

Its good though cuz it makes it easy for everyone to avoid the brainless douchebags.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
I'll chime in:

Flipping one's collar up is a trend popular amongst the young alpha male, frat boy types. These individuals are typically extroverted (read: loud, obnoxious) and popular with women.

Basically, they're the anthesis of your typical Anandtech member.

Essentially, what we have is another example of maladjusted, socially retarded Internet losers lashing out at people they secretly wish to be like. End of story.

Trust me, you idiots spend more time thinking about "popped collars" than the people who engage in the behaviour.

Get a life.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: brigden
I'll chime in:

Flipping one's collar up is a trend popular amongst the young alpha male, frat boy types. These individuals are typically extroverted (read: loud, obnoxious) and popular with women.

Essentially, what we have is another example of maladjusted, socially retarded Internet losers lashing out at people they secretly wish to be like. End of story.

Trust me, you idiots spend more time thinking about "popped collars" than the people who engage in the behaviour.

Get a life.

is popping your collar something someone needs to wish for? Even the most socially retarded can find a store that sells a polo, buy it, wear it, and pop it.....and consequently look like a tool box.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: gigapet
Originally posted by: brigden
I'll chime in:

Get a life.

is popping your collar something someone needs to wish for? Even the most socially retarded can find a store that sells a polo, buy it, wear it, and pop it.....and consequently look like a tool box.

No kidding... I just feel like when I see someone with a popped collar that they're trying way to hard to look "cool."

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have popped my coller, just for this thread!

Now everyone at work is looking at me weird. :)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: claydawg
I'm an IT Consultant at a large University. The only people who pop their collars here are the fratboys. Since all of the frat guys are assholes, most people at the school despise this horrible fashion statement.

Dude, that's Ole Miss...otherwise known as "The Home of the Wealthy Frat Boys with Popped Collars" ;)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

See, thats just ridiculous, ignorant, and wrong. I'm glad you can make such an astute observation though.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko

See, thats just ridiculous, ignorant, and wrong. I'm glad you can make such an astute observation though.

Are you a frat boy, Deeko? (If it's already been answered...sorry. I haven't read the entire thread).

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
Originally posted by: Deeko

Are you a frat boy, Deeko? (If it's already been answered...sorry. I haven't read the entire thread).

I am in a fraternity, yes.

I am not an asshole(in the traditional fratboy sense...maybe on ATOT but thats just to be funny), we do 4,000 hours of community service/year, donate over $10k to charities/year, and have an average cumulative GPA of 3.25. Yes, many of the brothers do pop their collars at parties.

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003

If you are 18+ years old and do not know how to use a shirt, do not be surprised when I refuse to acknowledge your existence.

Grow up, dress like a human being, and stop being such an MTV-brainwashed twat.

I love having my own house within walking distance of my College Campus...whenever my housemates try to bring friends with popped collars back to the house I stop them at the door and refuse to let them in until they are appropriately dressed.