Popped collars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: Deeko
It's because the people that pop them KNOW they look like pompous assholes yet they still do it , which makes them even bigger douches

I don't necessarily agree with that...a) HOW does it make them look like a pompous asshole and b) what makes you think A is true and that they know it?

Because the stigma is so prevelant in society now. That popped collars make you look like an ass. They would either be completely ignorant or been living under a rock to not have alteast heard of it.

Maybe thats the stigma among the 'ATOT-esque' society. I can assure you, being friends with many collar-poppers, it is NOT a stigma among that 'society'.

Everybody I've talk to know of this stigma

case in point....what type of people have you talked to about this "problem"?

By far, the place this happens most is on the college campus. The only people I ever hear around say things like that are anti-social people that seem to have a problem with what just about ANYONE else does.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
It's because the people that pop them KNOW they look like pompous assholes yet they still do it , which makes them even bigger douches

I don't necessarily agree with that...a) HOW does it make them look like a pompous asshole and b) what makes you think A is true and that they know it?

Because the stigma is so prevelant in society now. That popped collars make you look like an ass. They would either be completely ignorant or been living under a rock to not have alteast heard of it.

Maybe thats the stigma among the 'ATOT-esque' society. I can assure you, being friends with many collar-poppers, it is NOT a stigma among that 'society'.

By far, the place this happens most is on the college campus. The only people I ever hear around say things like that are anti-social people that seem to have a problem with what just about ANYONE else does.

All the peopel i've talked to are college kids.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

i think some people take the collar popping hatred too far. okay, they popped their collar, it looks stupid, okay, dont get your panties twisted in a bunch. on the other hand, the sometimes the collar poppers go too crazy with the collar popping too.

some people *understandably* have a problem with people popping their collars because its an outward show of wealth/eliteness/in other words arrogance (or at least, used to be). What has happened now is that every body is starting to pop their collars, and the fashion community views them like skaters view 'poseurs' (people who wear skating clothes to look cool and dont actually skate). sometimes you will see them refer to these people as 'chav' i think urban dictionary might have a defition for 'chav'

like i said. it works for some occasions, but most of the time, it doesnt. people say its hard to pull off, im inclined to agree.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

that is broad. Do they by chance fit into the category I posted above?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001

no

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother

i think some people take the collar popping hatred too far. okay, they popped their collar, it looks stupid, okay, dont get your panties twisted in a bunch. on the other hand, the sometimes the collar poppers go too crazy with the collar popping too.

some people *understandably* have a problem with people popping their collars because its an outward show of wealth/eliteness/in other words arrogance (or at least, used to be). What has happened now is that every body is starting to pop their collars, and the fashion community views them like skaters view 'poseurs' (people who wear skating clothes to look cool and dont actually skate). sometimes you will see them refer to these people as 'chav' i think urban dictionary might have a defition for 'chav'

like i said. it works for some occasions, but most of the time, it doesnt. people say its hard to pull off, im inclined to agree.

Like I'm saying though...sure maybe it looks stupid. I don't understand why people get their panties in a wad over it. I've never seen someone pop their collar in an attempt to be rich or arrogant. They do it for the same reason people wear a particular brand of clothing, or do anything associated with pop culture - because its what people do. Is that a good reason? No, but like I said, people do all sorts of things like that, why does this one garner so much hatred?

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I liked it when Tom Cruise popped his collar during the dance in Risky Business, otherwise I don't much notice.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

no

You've still given no reasons as to why its 'arrogant' to do it. So you and your awesome friends think its arrogant...how does that have any relevance on anything? How is it arrogant? Its a fvcking style of dress, same as any other.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

Like I'm saying though...sure maybe it looks stupid. I don't understand why people get their panties in a wad over it. I've never seen someone pop their collar in an attempt to be rich or arrogant. They do it for the same reason people wear a particular brand of clothing, or do anything associated with pop culture - because its what people do. Is that a good reason? No, but like I said, people do all sorts of things like that, why does this one garner so much hatred?

absolutely. like i said, i think some people just get too offended by it. its similar to the skaters/bikers (perhaps you might know more of them). some of them get really offended when people who 'suck' start sporting all element, etnies, fox, etc. thats understandable. whats not understandable is the amount of animosity it breeds in some. same with the fashion nazis.

i have to admit though, i DO see where they're coming from. when you see people sporting FAKE lacoste shirts (since these shirts lack lacoste quality- i know ive seen them up close, and people wear lacoste for the shirt quality) and fake tag heuer watches.... you wonder if they are trying to make a statement....you do tend to raise an eyebrow. its still unreasonable to get all nuts about it.,=

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
popped collars go great with button-down shirts with the sleeves rolled up, jeans, gelled hair/frosted tips, and numerous bracelets/necklaces. its like the uniform of the tool.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
some people *understandably* have a problem with people popping their collars because its an outward show of wealth/eliteness/in other words arrogance
I gotta ask - how does popping your collar exhibit wealth? I mean, two guys standing next to each other wearing the same pink shirt, one has a popped collar, the other does not. The assumption is that PC-guy is wealthier than the other?

Mickey Eye

Apr 14, 2005
So how does one go about popping their collar? I must admit this has completely passed me by.

Ah, sorry missed the above post, thanks for the clarification. So essentially it's entirely unimportant.

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
Popping your collar was a 1980's trend that relied on having an alligator logo on your golf shirt.
It was totally preppie.
You could take the statement over the edge by having your sweater hanging on your back with the sleeves tied together up front.
I never participated because it clashed with my no haircut/jean jacket/Zeppelin tshirt thing I was working on.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Pretty much everyone I know who I've talked to about "popped collars" think it looks pretty damn stupid. And Deeko, most of my friends are not anti-social. I don't see why you'd have to be anti-social to think that someone with a popped collar looks like a moron.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Ok, to preface, I do not participate in the collar popping trend.

However, I don't understand why some people have such a problem with it. So you think its stupid. So you think they're just doing it to fit in. SO WHAT? How does it harm you that people make such a big deal out of it? I see a whole lot WORSE fashion statements on a daily basis, and no one whines about them.
because it makes the person look like an outdated dick. period.